2018-2019 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got another waitlist email asking me if I wanted to remain on the waitlist by pressing accept, even though I already accepted the waitlist back in January and my portal reflects this. Is there something else I need to do or am I set?

Got the same thing. Got nervous that maybe my original acceptance of waitlist didn’t go through or something.

Members don't see this ad.

Do we have to submit & pay the CSS profile fee even if we're only waitlisted? Or only if we're given an actual acceptance?

Reactions: 1 user
Man I really have to get off my butt and write that LOI. Been lazy / demoralized since mid January, but that reminder email was just the kick I needed. Working on it now. Sinai is my number 1 choice but I have done a pretty bad job letting them know that.... Gotta get on it. I've really gone to mush on this gap year of mine, the application process has just kind of ground me down to a nub of my usual self.

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked on the website and the financial aid information deadline was March 15th, but I was waitlisted. I am planning on calling tomorrow to get more information, but did you guys send that information/ pay the fees for Mount Sinai as a waitlisted applicant? Also if I missed that deadline am I immediately out of the running for institutional scholarships and loans?

I looked on the website and the financial aid information deadline was March 15th, but I was waitlisted. I am planning on calling tomorrow to get more information, but did you guys send that information/ pay the fees for Mount Sinai as a waitlisted applicant? Also if I missed that deadline am I immediately out of the running for institutional scholarships and loans?

To answer my own question for those who are curious. I called the office this morning, if you are waitlisted she said to just submit the FAFSA and when/if you are accepted you will submit the rest.

Anyone know what the waitlist numbers from the MSAR look like for the last couple years?

How many people usually get off the waitlist? Was everyone who was interviewed waitlisted?

Everyone who interviewed was waitlisted initially but it looks like some people got rejections recently. Still, the waitlist is pretty huge

Does Mt. Sinai have AOA

You guys get the email about the new ESI thing? Sounds pretty awesome. Still depends on your parents' income unless you're 35+ soooo won't help me (29 and married w/ a kid, EFC=0, broke, woof)...but might help some others who had counted Sinai out for financial aid reasons!

You guys get the email about the new ESI thing? Sounds pretty awesome. Still depends on your parents' income unless you're 35+ soooo won't help me (29 and married w/ a kid, EFC=0, broke, woof)...but might help some others who had counted Sinai out for financial aid reasons!
Yeah, it definitely is better than taking out the entire COA in loans, but I think between EFC (lol), loans in the package, and the fact that at least for me they left a healthy chunk of my demonstrated need unaddressed, it's still 250K+ in loans. yikes

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it definitely is better than taking out the entire COA in loans, but I think between EFC (lol), loans in the package, and the fact that at least for me they left a healthy chunk of my demonstrated need unaddressed, it's still 250K+ in loans. yikes

The email makes it sound like it's all or nothing--like, either you qualify for the ESI program or you don't. If you do qualify, you're capped at $75k total debt. If you don't qualify, then yeah, you could still end up taking out the full COA. Ouch.

Mind if I ask how you come to the 250k figure if you’re not taking out the entire COA? Isn’t the only demonstrated need under this new program $18k a year? I’m still applying for financial aid so I haven’t quite figured it out.

It's COA - EFC - the 18k base loan -- this gives you the total amount (in theory) you should be getting as a grant. So you're still paying your EFC + base loan in loans. You only qualify for their magical 75k in loans over four years if your EFC is zero.

It's COA - EFC - the 18k base loan -- this gives you the total amount (in theory) you should be getting as a grant. So you're still paying your EFC + base loan in loans. You only qualify for their magical 75k in loans over four years if your EFC is zero.

mind asking for ur efc?

Sorry for asking, but do you know that for a fact or are you just assuming that with the traffic rules?

Around 90% of schools don't pull off the waitlist until after April 30th in any given year, but I know for sure that this school is one of them.

Around 90% of schools don't pull off the waitlist until after April 30th in any given year, but I know for sure that this school is one of them.

Okay thanks, I only asked because in the previous years they pulled a couple off each April.

Okay thanks, I only asked because in the previous years they pulled a couple off each April.

Yeah I talked to someone that asked and unless they change their mind, they don't plan on anything until May 1st. Although with the April 15th deadline for holding 3 acceptances, it wouldn't be impossible for Sinai to pull after April 15th if more people withdraw then they predict

anyone know when second look is/was?

Has anyone had any success getting Icahn to match cheaper financial options? Is it worth reaching out? It is probably my top choice but I can't justify going as it would cost over 100k more over 4 years.

Has anyone had any success getting Icahn to match cheaper financial options? Is it worth reaching out? It is probably my top choice but I can't justify going as it would cost over 100k more over 4 years.
They never even responded to my match request. Every other school at least said "we will keep you in mind" or "sorry we can't offer that much" or something of the sort, but Icahn just straight ghosted so I'm guessing they're not very receptive.

Did anyone who applied to the Primary Care Scholars Program or the Global Health Scholars Program hear back yet? Only info on the website says we'd hear back "in April."

Did anyone who applied to the Primary Care Scholars Program or the Global Health Scholars Program hear back yet? Only info on the website says we'd hear back "in April."

I heard back from PCSP about a month ago! You could maybe send an email to Dr. Sta Ana (the program director) and check in about it

Last edited:
I heard back from PCSP about a month ago! You could maybe send an email to Dr. Sta Ana (the program director) and check in about it

Oh dang lol. Thanks so much for letting me know! Now I'm worried they didn't process my app--I'd at least expected a rejection if I wasn't selected. I'll definitely email to check!

Just got off the MSTP waitlist!!

Reactions: 6 users
Was it ever confirmed whether a priority waitlist existed for regular MD applicants? Or is it just one waitlist for everyone that is internally ranked?

Also got in off the WL! Regular MD via email

Reactions: 1 users
congrats all...I know this sounds neurotic, but would you mind saying what time you got the email? Wondering if they sent them in a batch or throughout the day. Thanks!!

Ah this waitlist movement is gonna kill me.... still happy with where I have chosen but getting into Sinai would sure be nice.

My interview at Sinai bordered on plain old “bad” so I’m not holding my breath, but congrats to those who are getting the news!

Any other acceptance emails go out?

Reactions: 2 users
congrats all...I know this sounds neurotic, but would you mind saying what time you got the email? Wondering if they sent them in a batch or throughout the day. Thanks!!
I got the call around 3pm and email shortly after

praying to whatever god that there is still waitlist movement here...my neuroticism is peaking right now. jeez I would love to be here.

FYI, it seems like Sinai has had additional WL movement based on some recent "Choosing between medical schools X and Y" posts today. Has anyone else been accepted recently?

Personally, I'm ready to throw in the towel and move on.

• Sad
I was accepted off of the WL this afternoon! I got an email around 2:30pm. I've heard they have a lot of movement throughout May and into early June, so hold on to the towel a little longer!

I was accepted off of the WL this afternoon! I got an email around 2:30pm. I've heard they have a lot of movement throughout May and into early June, so hold on to the towel a little longer!
congrats!! this is not good for my heart haha, is that movement based off of previous years or are they also predicting that for this year? (assuming if someone in the school told you this)

Thank you! This is from what current students in the school have said. They also mentioned something about Mondays being their main day for releasing decisions, but don't quote me on that.