2019-2020 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was rejected from DS back in Feb, but was offered a spot in there class of 2025 through their diversity program a few days ago. Won't be accepting it but hopefully it goes to one of you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
This might be a dumb question, but what does it mean exactly when the waitlist moves? Does it mean that people are withdrawing their A, and others are being accepted or does it also take into consideration people withdrawing from the waitlist (is that considered WL movement)?
Usually it refers to the first situation. People withdrawing from the waitlist doesn’t really cause movement because they would have accepted the same number of people from the AL anyway. It does, however, increase the probability of being chosen for the people remaining on the waitlist

Reactions: 1 user
I was rejected from DS back in Feb, but was offered a spot in there class of 2025 through their diversity program a few days ago. Won't be accepting it but hopefully it goes to one of you guys!
Thanks for letting us know! By any chance do you know what the program is called? Is it like a master's program? Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Were you accepted into a different MD program?

Thanks for letting us know! By any chance do you know what the program is called? Is it like a master's program? Good luck!
It’s the BRIDGE Program. Yes it is one year and you take some med school classes and other science classes. You re-interview for the MD program but almost everyone gets in.
——————-

On another note, can anybody email admissions to ask about waitlist movement? I have sent a lot of emails recently and don’t want to seem desperate. It would be good to have a confirmation that movement is still happening and have an idea on when the committee plans to meet to decide who gets off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a question- I submitted my health forms and residency papers weeks ago (well before the July 1 deadline) and they still haven't checked them off and haven't responded to my follow up email? I'm a little worried? Any accepted students who are in the same boat?
I'm in the same boat with my health forms - I emailed medadmissions and they said that student health got a lot of health clearance forms all at once and has probably been overwhelmed with the influx of forms. I think a lot of people (myself included) had trouble getting medical clearance with the whole quarantine situation, plus student health and other administrative staff are still working remotely at DS. For the residency papers - did you send them to medadmissions, upload them to the portal, or send them to the registrar? I sent mine directly to the registrar and got approval within a few days.

Were you accepted into a different MD program?
Yes.
It’s the BRIDGE Program. Yes it is one year and you take some med school classes and other science classes. You re-interview for the MD program but almost everyone gets in.
——————-

On another note, can anybody email admissions to ask about waitlist movement? I have sent a lot of emails recently and don’t want to seem desperate. It would be good to have a confirmation that movement is still happening and have an idea on when the committee plans to meet to decide who gets off the waitlist.

There was no interview required. Just a guaranteed spot. I asked if there was anything for me to do in the interim year and she told me no.

I'm in the same boat with my health forms - I emailed medadmissions and they said that student health got a lot of health clearance forms all at once and has probably been overwhelmed with the influx of forms. I think a lot of people (myself included) had trouble getting medical clearance with the whole quarantine situation, plus student health and other administrative staff are still working remotely at DS. For the residency papers - did you send them to medadmissions, upload them to the portal, or send them to the registrar? I sent mine directly to the registrar and got approval within a few days.
Yeah probably true! I emailed directly to registrar- Will give them a call tomorrow to see whats up. Im sure they are just overwhelmed with so many forms all at once. Can't believe we have only a few weeks left!!

Yeah probably true! I emailed directly to registrar- Will give them a call tomorrow to see whats up. Im sure they are just overwhelmed with so many forms all at once. Can't believe we have only a few weeks left!!

Try giving student health a call too - I did today and he got it all sorted for me! Especially if you didn't get a "documents received" email from student health, I'd give them a call later this week.

Yes.

There was no interview required. Just a guaranteed spot. I asked if there was anything for me to do in the interim year and she told me no.

What other information do you have about the Bridge program?
Do you have to reinterview?

What other information do you have about the Bridge program?
Do you have to reinterview?
No re-interview needed. They told me it was invite only and that they re-evaluated my application. Beyond that I'm not sure. The offer was from Dr. Foster.

Welp, CTE'd at another school last night and got the e-mail from Downstate saying they've withdrawn my app from AL consideration. Been a fun ride yall!

This may be good news for you guys, though. It means Downstate ran their system to check who is actually CTE'd to their school as of today. I imagine they'll follow with As to fill any holes.

Good luck everyone / future colleagues! <3

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Welp, CTE'd at another school last night and got the e-mail from Downstate saying they've withdrawn my app from AL consideration. Been a fun ride yall!

This may be good news for you guys, though. It means Downstate ran their system to check who is actually CTE'd to their school as of today. I imagine they'll follow with As to fill any holes.

Good luck everyone / future colleagues! <3
You’ll succeed at your other A for sure :) Thanks for participating in the positivity of this thread!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
You will be dearly missed. You brought so much positivity to this thread. I really appreciated it. Thank you and good luck.
You’ll succeed at your other A for sure :) Thanks for participating in the positivity of this thread!

Thanks guys, this means a lot! <3

I look forward to working with you in the future!

Reactions: 3 users
Got an email from admissions: the class is full, there is no movement on the alt list. It was a fun ride, im committing to my A!

Reactions: 8 users
Got an email from admissions: the class is full, there is no movement on the alt list. It was a fun ride, im committing to my A!

Yeah looks like they have enough folks CTE'd for the class to commence. There could potentially be an A or two between now and the beginning of class, but only du to unfortunate circumstances that may cause someone to withdraw / be granted deference.

Congrats again to all accepted! To those applying again this cycle I wish you luck, you made it far enough to be granted an II and an AL invite you'll kick butt this cycle I know it!

Reactions: 8 users
Curious outsider here: what has downstate decided on for fall/winter classes?

Any accepted st
Curious outsider here: what has downstate decided on for fall/winter classes?
As far as I know from their most recent update - an in person/virtual hybrid w/ the in person part being up to twice a week. Registration for classes still hasn’t happened yet so can’t be more specific

Hey have any other accepted students off the waitlist not received their email address for downstate or are unable to access the banner self service?

I was accepted and never on the waitlist, a while back, and never heard anything about banner service, email, etc. That sucks.

I was accepted and never on the waitlist, a while back, and never heard anything about banner service, email, etc. That sucks.
Did you get an email from financial aid with a link and username and code? If not you should contact them via email and open a ticket. If you only call they ask for your ticket number, which you only get through email, and if you don't have one they make you email and call again later.

Any accepted st

As far as I know from their most recent update - an in person/virtual hybrid w/ the in person part being up to twice a week. Registration for classes still hasn’t happened yet so can’t be more specific
Their email said 1-2 days in person, rest online, but they can change this at any moment to more or less in person depending on how the situation changes. And seems like registration is up now on banner. Its automatically done for for unit 1 and 2 in the Student-> Registration tabs. No details about the breakdown/rooms/online stuff yet. Just says lecture/hybrid.

Did you get an email from financial aid with a link and username and code? If not you should contact them via email and open a ticket. If you only call they ask for your ticket number, which you only get through email, and if you don't have one they make you email and call again later.
Nope, I didn’t file for financial aid. I’m nontrad and paying out of my account. I’ll contact them today. Unfortunately was not updated on anything. I hope registration being open now doesn’t mean I get a poor schedule later.

Anyone having trouble registering for classes? Says Fall 2020 is 'view only' and nowhere to register for Unit 1/2.

Recommend joining the Facebook group if anyone hasn’t. There is a Q and A invite and other good info posted.

Just called them - registration is automatic and there will be an official orientation on Monday Aug 3. For those of you who didn't file for financial aid (like me), don't worry about not having access to your email or the banner service - these will be officially sent out later. Supposedly, only students who received awards or required access for whatever special reason have net access as of now and it seems that those students are throwing everyone else into a panic lol. Also, according to whoever I spoke to, no one's email is active even if you can see this somewhere. More will be covered on Monday evening.

Last edited:
Just called them - registration is automatic and there will be an official orientation on Monday Aug 3. For those of you who didn't file for financial aid (like me), don't worry about not having access to your email or the banner service - these will be officially sent out later. Supposedly, only students who received awards or required access for whatever special reason have net access as of now and it seems that those students are throwing everyone else into a panic lol. Also, according to whoever I spoke to, no one's email is active even if you can see this somewhere. More will be covered on Monday evening.

OOC why didn't you file for financial aid? Regardless of your situation, it's normally considered best practice to file FAFSA, no?

OOC why didn't you file for financial aid? Regardless of your situation, it's normally considered best practice to file FAFSA, no?
I wouldn't be approved and they had told me I don't need to beforehand. What's considered "best practice" for some does not apply to others. I also don't know what's considered "normal practice" because I have been working for years. If there was further incentive to apply I would have but if perks like what I typed above can exist by default, I'll consider it for later.

I wouldn't be approved and they had told me I don't need to beforehand. What's considered "best practice" for some does not apply to others.

I'm well aware. I just thought FAFSA was required for Stafford loans, and I've never heard of anyone not receiving that.

I was told even if people don't qualify it still is beneficial to fill out FAFSA. Here's just a random link about it: Do I Need To Fill Out FAFSA If I Don't Qualify For Financial Aid? | Road2College.

my email is actually active lol

To put it simply I have earned a lot of money and never needed loans.

Do PM us your methods so we can roll in it as well :p

Half-joking, but awesome! Med school will certainly be far less stressful without the cold sweat induced by loans over your head :lol:

No , just regular MD
Can the Downstate med admissions office be trusted now? lol

They told me no new students for the College of Medicine have email access. Could be that the update was automatic in their system and email access for some was an unintended consequence but who knows.

Last edited:
It’s been a fun ride guys, good luck wait list gang, you guys kept me sane during this. Time to finish my re-application

Does anyone know whether Downstate sends out rejections to those on the WL? Or is it silent rejections?

Technically they can, and could, take people off the AL all the way up until the white coat ceremony. So it's not a silent rejection, per se, but it is unfortunately quite improbable at this point in time.

Thank you. I know that the chance of getting accepted now is very minuscule and that there is a low chance that it can happen until the first day of class. I think I worded my original question very poorly. I meant to ask if they send out rejections once classes start, letting us know that we are rejected? My other WL has sent rejections out once classes start, thus allowing people to ask for feedback after. I lost all hope of getting off the Downstate WL, I'm just trying to figure out when I can ask for application feedback.

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding! I'm not sure, so definitely don't quote me on it, but from previous years I didnt see any signs of rejections once classes started. If you want to ask for feedback, though, I'd say it's definitely safe to ask now.

Thank you. I know that the chance of getting accepted now is very minuscule and that there is a low chance that it can happen until the first day of class. I think I worded my original question very poorly. I meant to ask if they send out rejections once classes start, letting us know that we are rejected? My other WL has sent rejections out once classes start, thus allowing people to ask for feedback after. I lost all hope of getting off the Downstate WL, I'm just trying to figure out when I can ask for application feedback.
Yes, they send out rejection notices to those on the alt list in August.

Any one still not have their heath forms checked even if they submitted them. I got an email yesterday but I remember the health office telling me they received my forms.

Any one still not have their heath forms checked even if they submitted them. I got an email yesterday but I remember the health office telling me they received my forms.
I'd try calling because they are pretty helpful over the phone