2020-2021 Arizona - Phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Arizona - Phoenix

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email saying my application was received and now under review!

Members don't see this ad :)
MSAR says they won't be reviewing applications until July 15, 2020. Don't freak out if you don't get a secondary today.
not sure that's possible. I mean we are pre-meds here. We're all lowkey freaking out and it won't stop until the white coat ceremony.

But yes, that is good to know lol

1000 characters

If you were to describe the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix to someone else, what would you share with them?

What achievement are you most proud of in your life? What aspect(s) of this achievement will you bring to our medical school?

The UA College of Medicine - Phoenix practices Inclusive Excellence, which celebrates the differences, talents, and unique qualities of all individuals. Please describe how you will pursue Inclusive Excellence in your studies while contributing to the collaborative environment at the College of Medicine - Phoenix.

Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine?

Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee?

Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, your plan during this application season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications.

1000 characters

Servant Leadership is a Core Value and Attribute we deem essential for our students to possess. To us, it is service to others where one possesses personal humility along with a strong professional will. Describe a time where you have practiced this skill or have seen this in another. What traits were exemplified, and how will you apply these traits to your career in medicine?

Were there any significant disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, or personal life related to COVID-19 that you would like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee?

Please reflect on your entire application, is there anything you would like to further share with the Admissions Committee? Items to consider: connection(s) to Phoenix and/or our medical community, your plan during this application season, gap(s) in your education, personal and/or academic challenges. Do not repeat any information already mentioned in the primary or secondary applications.

Are these required or optional? -asking bc they had some optional essays previously

For the course requirements did you all just add the one class/ per as it shows? Asking because the way they explain it is different then a lot of the others I have seen where they want you to list out all your pre=reqs, as opposed to one organic chemistry class. (i.e chem section)

Members don't see this ad :)
My secondary seems to be taking a while to come...I'm an AZ resident with 3.9 GPA but got a 510, retaking the MCAT Aug 8. Feel like I shouldn't have been screened out? I submitted my primary 5 days ago.

I'm OOS, 3.85 GPA with 513 MCAT, still waiting but I'm pretty glad that med schools are spreading out their secondaries, definitely overwhelmed right now!

In the portal under prerequisites, do you have 2 places to indicate your Chemistry and 2 places to indicate your Biology courses? I would appreciate it if anyone can explain difference between what we input in the two!

In the portal under prerequisites, do you have 2 places to indicate your Chemistry and 2 places to indicate your Biology courses? I would appreciate it if anyone can explain difference between what we input in the two!

Yep! There should be a small description indicating the specific chemistry (biochemistry/organic chemistry) or biology (physiology/molecular biology) course that it's referring to.

Am I the only one that received 8 emails regarding the secondary application? lol

Am I the only one that received 8 emails regarding the secondary application? lol

I did too haha, 4 for secondary invite and 4 for changing the deadline of one of the supplemental activities

About how long did it take to receive a secondary after you submitted your primary? I know I wasn't screened out (AZ resident with decent stats).

My primary was submitted June 10, processed on July 5, and received this secondary on July 14.

I just received 9 identical secondary emails from ASU Phoenix lol

Received secondary and I got 8 emails (repeating two messages) haha

Question for folks in here: For Tucson, I get the impression that unless you have amazing stats, don't apply if you are OOS. Is it the same for Phoenix? Or at least, do OOS have a slightly better chance than Tucson? Thanks!

• Hmm

Question for folks in here: For Tucson, I get the impression that unless you have amazing stats, don't apply if you are OOS. Is it the same for Phoenix? Or at least, do OOS have a slightly better chance than Tucson? Thanks!
MSAR is the best source of information for this and shows that Phoenix is actually more competitive than Tucson. OOS accepted students have an average of 511 for Tucson and 515 for Phoenix.

515 for Phoenix
Hard to say what impact this will have for OOS but the class size in Phoenix is growing to 100(+20). IMO this means that at least for IS'ers the stats are going to dip slightly. There are about 800 Arizona applicants each year and they almost always all apply to both campuses.

Hard to say what impact this will have for OOS but the class size in Phoenix is growing to 100(+20). IMO this means that at least for IS'ers the stats are going to dip slightly. There are about 800 Arizona applicants each year and they almost always all apply to both campuses.
I totally forgot about this change. Thanks for reminding me.

As far as OOS, I don't think the addition of 10 seats (50% of 20) will have any meaningful impact considering that there are thousands of applications each year.

will have any meaningful impact
You could definitely be right. I believe there will even only be a marginal move in the IS stats from this change and if they were willing to budge on character they could easily just accept some of the 513ish IS'ers that they did not last year.

Mostly trying to justify my excitement that there are extra chances for me to land in AZ

Wow and I can't even get ONE

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
My secondary seems to be taking a while to come...I'm an AZ resident with 3.9 GPA but got a 510, retaking the MCAT Aug 8. Feel like I shouldn't have been screened out? I submitted my primary 5 days ago.

I'm in basically the same exact boat as you and am anxiously waiting for the secondary since it's one of my top 3 schools

Honestly, I'm fine with it taking longer for them to send out their secondary. I'm busy enough with the dozens of others.

I'm in basically the same exact boat as you and am anxiously waiting for the secondary since it's one of my top 3 schools

OOS with worst stats that and I received secondaries from Tucson on the 14th & Phoenix on the 20th.

I got an email Wednesday saying I should expect 8 emails w different steps of the secondary, anyone else get this and how long after did you end up getting the secondary?

Hi everyone! I am curious about what experiences you will be writing about for this secondary essay question. Hopefully, this will help me brainstorm about what I am going to write about.

Thanks ahead of time.

Hi everyone! I am curious about what experiences you will be writing about for this secondary essay question. Hopefully, this will help me brainstorm about what I am going to write about.

Thanks ahead of time.

I was thinking about writing about my experiences with a university volunteer service organization. I volunteered with it for 3 years and for the last 2 have served in a leadership capacity. I figured this covers both the service and leadership aspects of the prompt.

Hi! I submitted my secondary application yesterday and still haven't received an email that my secondary was received or that my application is complete. Should I be worried? Or is this what everyone is experiencing?

Hi! I submitted my secondary application yesterday and still haven't received an email that my secondary was received or that my application is complete. Should I be worried? Or is this what everyone is experiencing?
It took me a few days after submitting my secondary to get a complete email. Don't worry.

For the people waiting on secondaries, I emailed them and they need to have your letter of rec in before they will send.

Also, for the activity matching, did you guys put shadowing for clinical? It only says med volunteer or paid positions, but you would like shadowing would go under clinical experience.

What achievement are you most proud of in your life? What aspect(s) of this achievement will you bring to our medical school? (1000 characters)

Having trouble on deciding what to talk about for this. Debating between:
1. Losing weight and getting fit. I feel like this would make me look more "human" to adcoms lol
2. Doing basic-science Type II Diabetes research and getting published (I already talked about this on my W/A section)

Any advice would be appreciated!

I'd go with the first one as it seems more personal (you're most proud moment is personal). Research is awesome, but it's kinda generic with this type of application.

I'd go with the first one as it seems more personal (you're most proud moment is personal). Research is awesome, but it's kinda generic with this type of application.

Thank you for your help! :)

shoot your shot, but this school and AZ Tucson are donations if you are from OOS or not a URM. GL

shoot your shot, but this school and AZ Tucson are donations if you are from OOS or not a URM. GL
Do you know if they give any preference to applicants with ties to AZ? I'm not an AZ resident but I attended college in AZ and have lived there for the last 6 years. ORM though

Do you know if they give any preference to applicants with ties to AZ? I'm not an AZ resident but I attended college in AZ and have lived there for the last 6 years. ORM though
How do you not qualify for AZ residency then?

if you went there for UG and have lived there for 6 years, I think you got a shot. GL

How do you not qualify for AZ residency then?
I decided to keep my Louisiana residency because the 2 LA state schools have a super strong in-state bias so I thought that would give me a good shot at one of those schools

I decided to keep my Louisiana residency because the 2 LA state schools have a super strong in-state bias so I thought that would give me a good shot at one of those schools
Statistically, this was the smart play. Shreveport basically nixes OOS applicants from the jump.

Secondary received July 31st! Almost missed it because I was taking my MCAT yesterday.

I thought that I wouldn’t get one until after I got my MCAT score back. Also, I’m still missing a major clinical letter of rec.

Happy it’s here though! And yes I got 4 emails about the secondary and 4 emails about them changing a deadline lol

Submitted 6/10, App Received 7/10