2020-2021 Low GPA High MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProcrastinatingPremed2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

These seemed to get quite a bit of love in the past so I figured I would continue the trend. Applying this year with a 3.5 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA, 515 MCAT. Lots of clinical work experience. Currently planning on applying to ~40 MD Schools and 3 or so DO schools. Anyone else in the same boat? Or any success stories that care to chime in on their past results?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I think my GPA is more mediocre than low but watching last year's thread really gave me a lot of comfort/hope - following!

Edited to add more detail: 3.56/3.55/521, traditional, ORM, average ECs in terms of hours but with a strong narrative. Applying to ~40 MD schools with a really wide range of MCAT and GPA medians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Also following with mediocre GPA. Verified 3.62/3.53/520. Let's see how this weird cycle goes!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was just about to start this thread for this year before I saw this post! Checking in as a 3.55/3.40/522 non-trad. Decent but not outstanding (in terms of pure hours) clinical experience and volunteering, but I feel I have some very meaningful experiences I can speak well to. Lots of research. I may apply to a smaller number of schools (3-4) this year because I have only around 8 shadowing hours, the rest were cancelled due to COVID. I am kinda banking on my state school as my most likely target (also where I did undergrad and am currently employed).

Like madguru mentioned previous threads have given me a lot of hope! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck! Many (but not all) with stats similar to yours are accepted. Now quit hanging out here comparing stats, and knock those applications out of the park!!!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
3.51/3.34/514, traditional, ORM, average ECs, reapplicant! Will also be doing an SMP this year and hoping for some love this time around. Would love to talk to anyone who got in previously with similar scores!

3.51/3.34/514, traditional, ORM, average ECs, reapplicant! Will also be doing an SMP this year and hoping for some love this time around. Would love to talk to anyone who got in previously with similar scores!

Seeing as we have pretty similar stats, what do you think your downfall was last year? I'm hoping that working as an ED Tech for 1+ year will help my causes

Still on waitlists from the 2019-2020 cycle, but I've already sent in a primary for this cycle! Got 4 interviews with a 3.4/3.1//522 and I'm hoping to get in somewhere this cycle. I didn't apply DO last year because I got a lot of early MD interviews (one at a top 20!) and falsely thought that this meant I didn't need to finish my AACOMAS app..

Why SMP? Why not focus on getting some great ECs in your gap year instead

Don't forget to work on the non-quantifiable parts of your presentation: Make sure your essays are thoughtful and well-written, and practice your interview skills!

Don't forget to work on the non-quantifiable parts of your presentation: Make sure your essays are thoughtful and well-written, and practice your interview skills!
Great advice! Definitely trying to keep my quality up while getting them all submitted within two weeks.

I assume SMP to raise their GPA but I don't understand how that would help if you're applying right now

That's what I was thinking. I get they want their GPA but how does taking a SMP during your reapplicant year change anything lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
30s, URM, nontrad, 3.5/3.56/523 checking in here. I'm hoping I make it this cycle, cuz I don't want to shell out money for everything again. I'm a little worried since I submitted in the second week of July, and verification is taking forever.

Still on waitlists from the 2019-2020 cycle, but I've already sent in a primary for this cycle! Got 4 interviews with a 3.4/3.1//522 and I'm hoping to get in somewhere this cycle. I didn't apply DO last year because I got a lot of early MD interviews (one at a top 20!) and falsely thought that this meant I didn't need to finish my AACOMAS app..

@BeingForItself
I'm curious what that T-20 interview was! If you don't mind sharing, or even messaging :)

3.47/3.53/514 ORM somewhat non-trad here! I know my MCAT isn't crazy high, but I'm hoping to get some love from MD schools anyway. I have a fairly research heavy app, so I'm pretty nervous that I won't appeal to the low-to-mid tier service focused schools. Fingers crossed!

Hi Everyone!

These seemed to get quite a bit of love in the past so I figured I would continue the trend. Applying this year with a 3.56 cGPA and 3.33 sGPA, 516 MCAT. Lots of clinical work experience. Currently planning on applying to ~40 MD Schools and 3 or so DO schools. Anyone else in the same boat? Or any success stories that care to chime in on their past results?
Literally same stats as you except .01 lower cGPA lol

Rising M2. Only applied to like 30 MD. It can be done.

30s, URM, nontrad, 3.5/3.56/523 checking in here. I'm hoping I make it this cycle, cuz I don't want to shell out money for everything again. I'm a little worried since I submitted in the second week of July, and verification is taking forever.
URM nontrad with a 523? I think you'll be fine. Def don't worry about the submission date.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi folks! 3.5 sgpa and 521 mcat checking in

@Premedinaspeedo @OymmoC I'm doing the SMP to raise my GPA in case this cycle doesn't work out and traditionally students get into the associated medical school the following year. Also, I have a strong rising GPA trend and a mid-semester report (although late) would allow me to extend it

@ProcrastinatingPremed2020 Definitely grades, my gpa's were both ~0.2 lower last time

Don't buy into the "guaranteed interview" SMP programs. Its only an interview. Its just another way to get money out of premeds pockets. Your GPA is good enough right now and SMP is incredibly expensive. @Goro what do you think about SMPs with 3.51/3.34/514?
Ace students can still bomb interviews. That's saying something about said students.

Unless OP has a massive rising GPA trend, s/he is not competitive for MD, but fine for DO

Hi @Goro I am curious why you say that OP is not competitive for MD with a 3.51/3.34/514? According to the most recent AMCAS MCAT/GPA grid people with a 3.4-3.59 GPA and 514-517 MCAT have a 62.2% chance of acceptance to US MD schools. Granted they are on the lower end of those ranges and their science GPA is below 3.4, but even looking at the 3.2-3.39 GPA range acceptance odds with a 510-513 MCAT are 39.9% and with a 514-517 are 50.4%. Certainly not a sure thing and worth applying DO as well, but I guess I wouldn't call that uncompetitive?

Thank you as always for your insight.

Reactions: 9 users
517 MCAT 3.63cGPA/3.2sGPA checking in. applying somewhere around ~35 MD schools, hopefully i get some love.

3.6 cgpa/ 3.5 sgpa/ 523 mcat. Applied 44 schools

3.57 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 520 checking in. Only applied to 24 schools, should I add more?

3.57 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 520 checking in. Only applied to 24 schools, should I add more?

eyyy, similar stats! 3.5x cGPA, 3.5x sGPA, 520 here. I applied to 30 initially, got a pre-2 R, and added another 7 after reevaluating my list and finding it very top-heavy. You probably don't need to add more if your list is realistically tailored to match your stats and app!

Last edited:
eyyy, similar stats! 3.58 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, 520 here. I applied to 30 initially, got a pre-2 R, and added another 7 after reevaluating my list and finding it very top-heavy. You probably don't need to add more if your list is realistically tailored to match your stats and app!

haha we're basically clones! I'm honestly just as worried about yield protection due to my MCAT as I am about my school list being too top heavy. Really hard to get the right balance imo. Gotta crush the "why us" essays I suppose!

Hey guys, I’m making an account on SDN just to follow along with you guys lol. 3.54 cgpa 3.47 sgpa 520. Applied to 44 schools with 37 secondaries received and completed so far.

Hey fellow low GPA gang. 3.4/515 checking in here, current cycle results in signature. Best of luck to everyone!

• Hmm
Hey fellow low GPA gang. 3.4/515 checking in here, current cycle results in signature. Best of luck to everyone!
Hi congrats on the II !!

When were you complete?

I'm going to be complete mid-august, do you guys think that may be late?

Hi congrats on the II !!

When were you complete?

I'm going to be complete mid-august, do you guys think that may be late?

I don't think that is super late but it might put you at a disadvantage. I was complete around the end of july/early august for most of my schools and am finishing stragglers that come in within a week or so. As long as you send in secondaries asap with good quality you shouldn't be super hurt.

Old school underdog here, 3.26/35 (equivalent 517) here to answer any questions if anyone wants to bounce them off me through Saturday.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

• Love
Old school underdog here, 3.26/35 (equivalent 517) here to answer any questions if anyone wants to bounce them off me through Saturday.

Med School Tutors
Which schools showed you the most love in the interview process? What key thing(s) do you think made you successful in getting accepted?

Did you take any gap years? Did you do a postbacc or master's?

1 gap year. Took the MCAT and really beefed up my resume. EMS and Emergency Medicine was my 'brand' so I jumped into several leadership roles at my local rescue squad and got to get a lot done there. The lesson here is to know what your brand is and be able to back it up with a resume and stories consistent with it. Quality > Quantity applied to real life.

Med School Tutors.

Are you URM? Sorry if this is too forward of a question, just wondering for my own cycle
No worries. I actually am part Polynesian, but otherwise appear very, very caucasian so I don't think it changed much for me haha.

Med School Tutors.

Which schools showed you the most love in the interview process? What key thing(s) do you think made you successful in getting accepted?

New schools and mission programs showed me the most love. Some of the things that helped me get into 4/18 places I submitted secondaries to (i cut all other DO schools after I got into my #1 DO at Rowan) include:

- Having a realistic set of schools to apply to. State schools, and other northeast general MD schools and plenty of backups.
- Knowing my strengths (MCAT, rising GPA in chemistry, EMS experience) and writing an application and having stories that answered secondary and interview questions framed around that.
- Just being personable I found went a long way. I'm sure there are a gazillion opinions out there, but I felt adcoms actually took note of pre-interview interactions. I was always just making general small talk in the mornings. Nothing crazy, sports, travel, etc. But most are very quiet and while I don't think you should talk politics, I think little interactions like that add up. It is entirely not fair, but the process rewards extroversion or those who can at least fake extroversion.

Med School Tutors.

3.63 cGPA/ 3.55 sGPA/520 (strong trend, ECs, and LORs) checking in! Good luck everyone! Trying not to get discouraged with II's starting to roll in for people even though I know its super super early

Last edited:
2.8 cGPA / 2.5 sGPA / 3.6 gsGPA (SMP) / 517

Reapplicant (one WL last year). ORM/not disadvantaged, multiple MCATS, buttloads of post-bacc classes. Short of getting an IA or felony, everything you can do wrong, I probably did wrong.

2 MD interviews so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
hey guys, hit a lull in writing my secondaries so I thought I'd drop in. cGPA 3.55 / sGPA 3.54 / 518 with strong ECs but weak on clinical experience, lots of volunteering & a narrative to my story. applying to 24 schools!

does anyone else oscillate between "I'm doomed" & "things will work out!!" 5 times a day?

Reactions: 7 users
2.8 cGPA / 2.5 sGPA / 3.6 gsGPA (SMP) / 517

Reapplicant (one WL last year). ORM/not disadvantaged, multiple MCATS, buttloads of post-bacc classes. Short of getting an IA or felony, everything you can do wrong, I probably did wrong.

2 MD interviews so far.
Can I ask where you’ve been offered interviews? Love to hear about schools that reward reinventors such as us!

Can I ask where you’ve been offered interviews? Love to hear about schools that reward reinventors such as us!

For the sake of anonymity I'd prefer not to, though if you PM me I am happy to share.

One of them is a state school which I was WLed at last cycle (applied late)--I'm not a resident but have ties. The other is on Goro's list of schools that reward reinvention, which is how I built my list (state schools, reinvention schools with missions fitting my interests, and my SMP school--overall 30 MD).

hey guys, hit a lull in writing my secondaries so I thought I'd drop in. cGPA 3.55 / sGPA 3.54 / 518 with strong ECs but weak on clinical experience, lots of volunteering & a narrative to my story. applying to 24 schools!

does anyone else oscillate between "I'm doomed" & "things will work out!!" 5 times a day?

Me. I am scared my school list is top heavy even though I got feedback on here and through other current students. I hope September/October will be more successful :(

Reactions: 5 users
Me. I am scared my school list is top heavy even though I got feedback on here and through other current students. I hope September/October will be more successful :(
I have the exact same concern

Edit: It got better lol

Last edited:
I have the exact same concern
Im in the same boat as you guys. The trend is that us split stats usually get invites later in the process according to the previous threads. And with Covid going on its just another screw ball in the whole process.

Even though I tell myself this too I feel the anxiety of waiting too hahaha