2020-2021 University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any luck with contacting them and finding out if they accept update letters?
Still nothing all morning but will keep trying and will update you when I get a hold of someone!

Members don't see this ad.

Any luck with contacting them and finding out if they accept update letters?
Just talked to someone and they’re not accepting any update letters and will decide any II based on our initial apps. Also they said they can’t 100% say that they’re done interviewing but also can’t say that they have space either so Idk that was confusing statement

Reactions: 1 users
Just talked to someone and they’re not accepting any update letters and will decide any II based on our initial apps. Also they said they can’t 100% say that they’re done interviewing but also can’t say that they have space either so Idk that was confusing statement
Thank you so much for the update! Ah that’s so frustrating. Well hopefully there’s a few more interview invites this week 🥺 best of luck to you!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the update! Ah that’s so frustrating. Well hopefully there’s a few more interview invites this week 🥺 best of luck to you!
Well, I will say that I got my invite and then interviewed the next day. So it's totally possible.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
When they interviewed me, they said it was the last day. One of the protors said he was glad it was over. I would say they are done this cycle.

Does anyone know when the school appears in your match list after the interview? I interviewed there on Jan 14 and there is no indication on my TMDSAS application

at this point, @Swagchamps, I suggest emailing them to request that they update your status so you will be able to rank them for the match.

How about others who interviewed recently, has it showed up on your portal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the school appears in your match list after the interview? I interviewed there on Jan 14 and there is no indication on my TMDSAS application
Its on my TMDSAS list and i did an interview 2/4

Can a current student of UHCOM please please msg me? I have a few questions to ask to help me make my decision. I'm not able to gather a lot of information on the internet since this is a really new school.

Can y'all just dia
Can a current student of UHCOM please please msg me? I have a few questions to ask to help me make my decision. I'm not able to gather a lot of information on the internet since this is a really new school.
Can y'all discuss it here so that I can learn about the information too :)

Craziness. I got a phone call yesterday offering me the $100,000, full tuition and fees scholarship. I've heard they are giving out 10 of these this year, and it's rumored that there are at least 9 partial scholarships. Good luck to everyone and happy rankings!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
Craziness. I got a phone call yesterday offering me the $100,000, full tuition and fees scholarship. I've heard they are giving out 10 of these this year, and it's rumored that there are at least 9 partial scholarships. Good luck to everyone and happy rankings!
Heck yes!!!!!! You deserve it! Now get ready to kick some ass!

• Love
Congratulations! Could have helped that you were so polite and said @texasplease ;)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Hey I’m a MS1. AMA!

How's your experience been with the clinicals every Friday?

Clinic days vary for each student. Mine aren’t on Fridays. Every student does have clinic 1/week.
I love clinic! A lot of great learning experiences at my outpatient clinic. You apply what you learn from your doctoring course at clinic under the supervision of your MD preceptor. Honestly, tons of fun and I look forward to it every week.

Clinic days vary for each student. Mine aren’t on Fridays. Every student does have clinic 1/week.
I love clinic! A lot of great learning experiences at my outpatient clinic. You apply what you learn from your doctoring course at clinic under the supervision of your MD preceptor. Honestly, tons of fun and I look forward to it every week.
One question I thought about is what happens if you end up deciding to go into something besides primary care? Is it more common than we think?

One question I thought about is what happens if you end up deciding to go into something besides primary care? Is it more common than we think?

No one pushes PCP down your throat here. Sure, your outpatient clinic is PCP but that doesn’t mean you HAVE to do PCP.
They have career taster sessions about non-PCP fields.

No one pushes PCP down your throat here. Sure, your outpatient clinic is PCP but that doesn’t mean you HAVE to do PCP.
They have career taster sessions about non-PCP fields.
How would we go about doing research in a particular specialty (Derm or Surg) if the school doesn't have a hospital?

How would we go about doing research in a particular specialty (Derm or Surg) if the school doesn't have a hospital?
Piggy backing on this: are we able to join research labs that are either at UH or Baylor/MD anderson? My old PI is at Baylor and maybe I can jump back on with them

Piggy backing on this: are we able to join research labs that are either at UH or Baylor/MD anderson? My old PI is at Baylor and maybe I can jump back on with them

You are given the summer after MS1 to yourselves. You are more than welcome to do research or anything you please during that time.
You are required to do a scholarly research project. My research mentor is a UH faculty member.

Is UH providing free tuition for their first four classes?
No, well at least not that I know of. There are internal scholarships that you can apply to and there is an opportunity to gain a scholarship that's large enough to cover tuition and fees. I heard that they were only offering 10 this year.

Does anyone know if UHCOM has a student run clinic yet?

We do not have a student run clinic. We do work with other houston area medical schools for the HOMES clinic that is student led.

How are people receiving pre-ii rejections still? Wouldn’t everyone be rejected at this point since the rank day had passed? I’m a Texas resident and still haven’t received an official rejection but it’s impossible for me to still receive an interview right?

How are people receiving pre-ii rejections still? Wouldn’t everyone be rejected at this point since the rank day had passed? I’m a Texas resident and still haven’t received an official rejection but it’s impossible for me to still receive an interview right?
Not impossible but highly unlikely ;)

@Neon-turtle98 some of the TX schools don’t take the extra step of sending out rejection notices at this point. They know, and applicants know, the timeline so you can conclude that no interview means no chance at attending.
I hope you have some schools you could hear from on Match Day

Not impossible but highly unlikely ;)

It’s impossible. No interviews means no match or waitlist. They can no longer sent interviews at this point.

@Neon-turtle98 some of the TX schools don’t take the extra step of sending out rejection notices at this point. They know, and applicants know, the timeline so you can conclude that no interview means no chance at attending.
I hope you have some schools you could hear from on Match Day
I figured it was unlikely! I saw something about SHSU-COM also doing an interview day sometime after rank day and I thought it peculiar! I thankfully am not waiting on a miraculous post-rank day interview from UHCOM, and was mostly just curious XD

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to those who match today! There is a groupme of UHCOM matched applicants please feel free to DM me for the link