***2020-2021 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all, I was wondering if you guys think I should add more schools to my list. Any input is appreciated. :)

Background: Female, veteran, disadvantaged, FAP recipient, technically a CA applicant but lived in AZ for 20+ years
URM: Hispanic (Mexican),
Undergrad: U of Arizona, 5+ years ago
Major: Neuroscience and Cognitive Science/Molecular and Cellular Biology
MCAT: 509, evenly distributed
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.4
(Note: I had hardships during my junior/senior year with my mother being sick that affected my GPA and I have addressed in my application)
Post-bacc GPA: 4.0, most are science classes
Paid Clinical Employment: 2100 hours as a medical assistant, 3800 as a sleep technologist (for which I am licensed- RPSGT). Not including my clinical research position as it is listed below
Research: ~1000 undergrad research experience in psychology labs. 7500 hours doing clinical research as a RPSGT at a T30 school doing sleep, pulmonary, and critical care research. I have 2 first author abstracts accepted at an international conference and am on several other papers + abstracts as middle author.
Clinical/Non Clinical Volunteering: 400 at a homeless women's shelter, many of which I was a lead overnight volunteer. Currently volunteering at a company whose focus is on homeless and elderly populations, should have ~150 hours by matriculation (cut short due to COVID, yadayada). 300 hours during undergrad visiting elementary schools to engage with students about neuroscience.
Paid Employment not med: A bunch of hours as an Airman in US Air Force, ~2200 hours as an assistant manager at an ice cream shop, 2700 hours as a behavioral health technician working with kids with behavioral diagnoses through Arizona's Medicaid program (I didn't classify this as clinical but I did do a lot of clinical stuff here)
Tutoring: 960 hours as a lab instructor for introductory biology lab
Shadowing: 55 hours across different specialties such as neurology, neurosurgery, sleep medicine, and critical care

School list: (Note: I passed through the schools with screens very quickly and currently I am complete at all of these schools)
Albany Medical
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Quillen
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Georgetown
Kaiser Permanente
Loyola
New York Medical College
Oakland University William Beaumont
Rush
Tulane
USF
University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix
University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson
University of California, Davis
University of California, Irvine,
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, Riverside
University of California, San Diego
University of Colorado
University of Michigan
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Wayne State
Wright State
You should receive several interviews from the schools you applied to. You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Miami
TCU-UNT

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive several interviews from the schools you applied to. You could add any of these schools:
Boston University
Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Miami
TCU-UNT
Thank you so much, you are so kind and generous!

URM- AA Male
Undergrad: Mid-tier public school in Maryland
Major: Functional bio
Undergrad cGPA- 3.23
Undergrad sGPA- 2.8 (not counting post bacc)
Post-Bacc Masters GPA (48 Units total): 3.85
MCAT- 500 (125/124/126/125) (considering retaking)
Work: Medical Assistant: 1500+ hours (and counting), Scribe: 1200+ Hours, Inner city Middle School Science Teacher: 2 years
Volunteer: Run an after school pre-health club to help connect my kids with medical professionals who share their experience/answer their questions
Shadowing- 300 hrs Anesthesiologist
Maryland Resident

Strong commitment to underserved communities, would like to continue throughout medical school.
Hoping for a school list, thanks! good luck everyone.

@Faha would you be able to provide a list of MD/DO schools that I would be able to apply to if you have time?
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Maryland
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
West Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Indiana
Wright State
Creighton
TCU-UNT
For DO schools I suggest these:
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WCU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
You could receive interviews at any of these DO schools with your stats. You may also receive some MD interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. We will all come out on top of this pandemic, I'm confident! Good luck with your cycle!
If you can take enough community college science courses in the coming year to increase your sGPA to 3.0 it would significantly increase your chances for MD interviews.

Hi everyone, bit late to the party, but just got my retake score back. App verified and main secondaries pre-written, ready to go. Was hoping to get inputs on a list with this new mcat score if @Faha or anyone could help. Thank you all!

Background: Male, NY, FAP
URM: Latino, (South America, native Spanish speaker)
Undergrad: Ivy
Major: Neurobiology, Global & Public Health
MCAT: 509---> 515
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.45
Post-bacc GPA: 3.85, over 100 credits upper level science, ended up getting a second degree from these credits
Research: RNA-protein lab part time for 1.5 yrs; Neuro lab full time for 4 yrs while taking post-bacc classes. 1 publication, multiple poster presentations and travel awards for conferences, 2 papers in progress to be submitted
Clinical: 250+ hours as a patient navigator at hospital, 100+ hours at a free clinic (associated with a medical school in the area), 2 medical brigades abroad in South America, 1 summer internship at a public hospital in south america, 1 summer internship at hospital pharmacy in Spanish-speaking community
Shadowing: 100+ hours shadowing following specialties: Pediatrics, ER, Surgery and Family Medicine; Also shadowed while participating in medical brigades abroad
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 400+ hrs: On the board for a non-profit organization that runs free sports leagues for kids, Taught sex ed in public high schools around nyc, high school mentoring, college alumni association and interviewing incoming applicants, fraternity focused on community service
Non-clinical employment: Tutoring 100+ hours, Spanish & Sciences; non-teaching adjunct in bio dept
Extracurricular Activities: Dance ensemble throughout college, soccer teams
I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State

All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
NOVA MD
Miami
USF Morsani
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Thank you!! Is TCU-UNT out of state friendly? Didn't know.
Also, any reaches you might recommend to go for with the new score?

Thank you!! Is TCU-UNT out of state friendly? Didn't know.
Also, any reaches you might recommend to go for with the new score?
TCU/UNTHSC is a private school and has no in-state bias. It uses AMCAS app so would be easy to add.

Hi everyone! I'm a latino who immigrated to the US at 23. I just discovered this thread and hope I would've found it before. I'm rooting for all of you!! The medical field needs our unique experiences and perspective!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone, I am in desperate need of help for my school list. Ive been waiting for my mcat score today.

Background: Female, disadvantaged, FAP recipient, NJ resident
URM: Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and Black
Undergrad: Monmouth University, 4 years
Major: Biology
Minor: Statistics
MCAT: 490, 491, 493 ----> 498 today (126/121/126/125)
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.0
Post-bacc GPA: 3.9, most are science classes
Paid Clinical Employment: 5,000 hours as a medical scribe in the emergency department
Research: statistical research on brain cancer and research regarding tropical ecology in the Bahamas
Clinical/Non Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours in the hospital volunteering, food pantry in churches (100 hours)
Paid Employment not med: Zumba instructor, chemistry lab assistant, tour guide, and residential assistant
Shadowing: 300 hours of shadowing pedi and surgery

Ive applied to Howard (dream school)

Reactions: 1 user
@Mellyjelly123 Is this school list for next cycle? I dont agree with the statement that anything less than a 508 should be retaken especially if your goal is just to be a doctor. I will say that many schools may have filters and thus your score may take you out of an initial screening but this is also your 4th time taking the MCAT. Your ecs may help with schools that do a manual 2nd screening but I would not bank on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed my mcat scores and etc to see if you guys think any other schools would be worth applying to...... I understand my mcat is low. It is not an easy process for everyone. My biggest concern is the 121 in CARS

• Care
I listed my mcat scores and etc to see if you guys think any other schools would be worth applying to...... I understand my mcat is low. It is not an easy process for everyone. My biggest concern is the 121 in CARS
Is this school list for next cycle? I do think applying to all the HBCUs and DO schools are your best bet if sticking with this mcat score but even with their stats, you still may be too low. If applying next cycle, it might be worth it to retake the mcat again and try to get above the 500 mark

Maybe @Faha and @OchemOficionado can help more

Is this school list for next cycle? I do think applying to all the HBCUs and DO schools are your best bet if sticking with this mcat score but even with their stats, you still may be too low. If applying next cycle, it might be worth it to retake the mcat again and try to get above the 500 mark

Maybe @Faha and @OchemOficionado can help more

I’ve applied to HCBU already. I haven’t applied to DO yet

Hi all - looking for advice.

First-gen Mexican American female
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 500
Major: Biochemistry
No clinical volunteering (red flag, I know)
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 (as a peer health educator and peer counselor, ongoing)
Clinical job: 250 hours (scribe at an underserved community)
Non-clinical job: 1200 hours (retail)
Research: 1000 hours (presented work at national conference and have given talks on research)
Shadowing: 10 in cardiology, 8 pediatrics
Currently working as a teaching assistant teaching algebra to children from Mexico.

Wondering what I look like now if I don't retake MCAT, where I could get in. Ideally I want to retake in the spring and get closer to 510 range but any feedback appreciated.

Even though I'm still waiting for my A, I can't help but be proud of all the URMs that got their acceptances today! Y'all really did (and are doing) that!!

Reactions: 8 users
Hi, Does anyone know what schools are good in TX for students with lower stats but high ECs? Thanks.

Hi, Does anyone know what schools are good in TX for students with lower stats but high ECs? Thanks.

Define “high” ECs. ECs are relative.

But you could apply to the newer MD and DO schools across the state. Also TX schools have regional preferences. For instance, UT RGV looks highly for those from the Valley. Foster and Lubbock look for those from West Texas, etc...

Define “high” ECs. ECs are relative.

But you could apply to the newer MD and DO schools across the state. Also TX schools have regional preferences. For instance, UT RGV looks highly for those from the Valley. Foster and Lubbock look for those from West Texas, etc...
Thanks. I have years of ECs as I am a non-trad applicant. I worked in the non-profit world for several years and did many volunteer projects as well due to working in the field. Didn't know about the regional preferences. It seems like most TX schools are VERY competitive to get into even for IS applicants.

Thanks. I have years of ECs as I am a non-trad applicant. I worked in the non-profit world for several years and did many volunteer projects as well due to working in the field. Didn't know about the regional preferences. It seems like most TX schools are VERY competitive to get into even for IS applicants.
Extracurriculars mean nothing if your stats are low, especially volunteering.
The only real “extracurriculars” that can balance out low stats is if you are a career changer (I.e., ex-assistant district attorney of New York City, Harvard law grad) <— true applicant we had. Or ex-medical professional (Physician assistant returning to do med school)

Extracurriculars mean nothing if your stats are low, especially volunteering.
The only real “extracurriculars” that can balance out low stats is if you are a career changer (I.e., ex-assistant district attorney of New York City, Harvard law grad) <— true applicant we had. Or ex-medical professional (Physician assistant returning to do med school)
That's what I mean, I worked for nearly 10 years as a coordinator for a non-profit. I also did volunteering in addition to that.

Hey everyone, I am in desperate need of help for my school list. Ive been waiting for my mcat score today.

Background: Female, disadvantaged, FAP recipient, NJ resident
URM: Hispanic (Puerto Rican) and Black
Undergrad: Monmouth University, 4 years
Minor: Statistics
MCAT: 490, 491, 493 ----> 498 today (126/121/126/125)
sGPA: 3.0
Post-bacc GPA: 3.9, most are science classes
Paid Clinical Employment: 5,000 hours as a medical scribe in the emergency department
Research: statistical research on brain cancer and research regarding tropical ecology in the Bahamas
Clinical/Non Clinical Volunteering: 200 hours in the hospital volunteering, food pantry in churches (100 hours)
Paid Employment not med: Zumba instructor, chemistry lab assistant, tour guide, and residential assistant
Shadowing: 300 hours of shadowing pedi and surgery

Ive applied to Howard (dream school)
Which schools did you apply to ?

Hi all - looking for advice.

First-gen Mexican American female
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 500
Major: Biochemistry
No clinical volunteering (red flag, I know)
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 (as a peer health educator and peer counselor, ongoing)
Clinical job: 250 hours (scribe at an underserved community)
Non-clinical job: 1200 hours (retail)
Research: 1000 hours (presented work at national conference and have given talks on research)
Shadowing: 10 in cardiology, 8 pediatrics
Currently working as a teaching assistant teaching algebra to children from Mexico.

Wondering what I look like now if I don't retake MCAT, where I could get in. Ideally I want to retake in the spring and get closer to 510 range but any feedback appreciated.
Where is your state of residence ? You should accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact and another 30 hours of physician shadowing before you apply next June.

Hello everyone, I am pretty conflicted right now. I received an II from Indiana University School of Medicine, and they scheduled it for 11/11 at 2:15 pm. However, this date and time they gave me coincides with a previously scheduled interview that cannot be changed. I contacted the admission office about my situation, and they said all they could do is place me on the waitlist, which doesn’t guarantee a new rescheduled date. If anyone has any advice on how I should approach this situation, please let me know. Also, if anyone who received an II from Indiana would be willing to swap dates, please DM me.

Hello everyone, I am pretty conflicted right now. I received an II from Indiana University School of Medicine, and they scheduled it for 11/11 at 2:15 pm. However, this date and time they gave me coincides with a previously scheduled interview that cannot be changed. I contacted the admission office about my situation, and they said all they could do is place me on the waitlist, which doesn’t guarantee a new rescheduled date. If anyone has any advice on how I should approach this situation, please let me know. Also, if anyone who received an II from Indiana would be willing to swap dates, please DM me.
Maybe go with the school that your prefer the most.

URM: Black, Arizona resident but currently residing in Texas
Undergrad: Arizona State University (B.S.) & Northern Arizona University (B.S.)
Grad: Michigan State University (M.S. in Pharmacology & Toxicology & MPH) University of Missouri (Current PhD candidate in Nursing & Healthcare Innovation)
SMP: Currently taking non-degree courses in the MS Medical Sciences at St. Xavier University (Gross Anatomy, Medical Physiology, & Medical Biochemistry)
Undergrad Major: Microbiology & Health Promotion, c/o 2010
MCAT: 2010 MCAT was a 29 S but I did not have the financial means to apply to med school. In 2012, I sat for the MCAT and scored a 30 but went through a significant health issue that prevented me from applying to medical school. I sat for Sept. 28th MCAT and earned a 494. Things did not go as expected (Not sure what happened; my practice MCATs were 483 - 495 - 505 - 505 - 508 - and 507; all Princeton Review and AAMC full-lengths)
Undergrad cGPA: 3.67
Undergrad sGPA: 3.55
Graduate cGPA: 3.85
Graduate sGPA: 3.72
Research: 1,500 hours, six publications including one first author, several white papers, a webinar, and currently working on my dissertation (hope to publish chapter 2 and 4/5)
Leadership: 1,750 hours as part of the Office of Minority Health and the Southwest Region IX Health Equity Council
Paid Employment not med: 3,000 hours social services and public health
Paid Employment med: Over 30k hours working as a Army medic (18 years), civilian paramedic, CNA, and pharmacy tech
Teaching: 12 years as an adjunct faculty member teaching pharmacology, pathophysiology, health information management, and public health
Volunteering not med: 3760 hours, two terms as an AmeriCorps VISTA
Shadowing: 80 hours, family med DO and a pediatrician DO
Awards: Graduated Cum Laude from Northern Arizona University; Sinclair Fellowship recipient for my PhD; Army Good Conduct Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal

I applied to all DO programs as they seem to be more friendly to students my age. Unfortunately, the MCAT did not go as I had hoped but I do have interviews at:

Ross U - 11/5
Rocky Vista University COM - 11/9
ATSU-SOMA - 12/9

I was put on the deferred list for an interview at WVUCOM and Pikeville-KYCOM. I was denied an interview at Midwestern-AZCOM. I am awaiting decisions about an interview from Midwestern-Chicago, Oklahoma State University, Nova Southeastern, VCOM-Virginia, VCOM-Louisiana, and Marian COM

If I don't gain admissions this cycle, I'll make a decision about retaking the MCAT next cycle, taking Ross U up on their offer (if admitted), or calling it a day and using my doctorate to continue in academia. I'll be 49 on Nov. 10 so I won't get too many more bites of this apple and I am praying that a door will open up for me at one of the DO programs that I have applied to.

Hi all - looking for advice, my main concern is the MCAT and wanting to stay close to or in NY.
Do you think I have a chance with this MCAT and what schools?

First-gen Afro-latina

cGPA: 3.69. (CC: 3.655 then transfered to 4 year: 3.74)
sGPA: 3.59 (I got all A and A- on the prerequisites)
MCAT: 501 (terrible cars)

Non-clinical volunteering: 370 hours ( teaching, mentoring underrepresented minorites, and instructor of a NIH- funded summer program for college students (during undergrad))

Clinical volunteering: 320 hours (2 different free clinics in underserved areas), lead a project at one of the clinics.

Research: 8000+ hours (undergraduate and full-time at the NIH (~6000 are from NIH)
  1. 1st author abstracts poster presentations at 23 conferences including 1st and 2nd place awards at statewide and 1 award at nationals)
  2. 3 publications (1 Nature Genetics), another 2 under review, and currently working on 1st authorship (1 pub is from undergrad 2nd author)
  3. Mentored and trained summer students at the NIH.
Shadowing: 200 hours in the OR, grand rounds, physician meetings and clinic.

Awards/Honors: Received highest honor given to students in my state (NY), received research grants in undergraduate, NIH/NSF grants and scholarships throughout undergraduate.

Leadership postions: senator in 2 different clubs and student ambassador of the university

Worked since the age of 14 (30h/ week), and full-time since the age of 16 all throughout college - retail, customer service etc.

Thank you for your time and feedback.
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
All 4 SUNYs
New York Medical College
Einstein
Seton Hall
Albany
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
NOVA MD
Miami
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

URM: Black, Arizona resident but currently residing in Texas
Undergrad: Arizona State University (B.S.) & Northern Arizona University (B.S.)
Grad: Michigan State University (M.S. in Pharmacology & Toxicology & MPH) University of Missouri (Current PhD candidate in Nursing & Healthcare Innovation)
SMP: Currently taking non-degree courses in the MS Medical Sciences at St. Xavier University (Gross Anatomy, Medical Physiology, & Medical Biochemistry)
Undergrad Major: Microbiology & Health Promotion, c/o 2010
MCAT: 2010 MCAT was a 29 S but I did not have the financial means to apply to med school. In 2012, I sat for the MCAT and scored a 30 but went through a significant health issue that prevented me from applying to medical school. I sat for Sept. 28th MCAT and earned a 494. Things did not go as expected (Not sure what happened; my practice MCATs were 483 - 495 - 505 - 505 - 508 - and 507; all Princeton Review and AAMC full-lengths)
Undergrad cGPA: 3.67
Undergrad sGPA: 3.55
Graduate cGPA: 3.85
Graduate sGPA: 3.72
Research: 1,500 hours, six publications including one first author, several white papers, a webinar, and currently working on my dissertation (hope to publish chapter 2 and 4/5)
Leadership: 1,750 hours as part of the Office of Minority Health and the Southwest Region IX Health Equity Council
Paid Employment not med: 3,000 hours social services and public health
Paid Employment med: Over 30k hours working as a Army medic (18 years), civilian paramedic, CNA, and pharmacy tech
Teaching: 12 years as an adjunct faculty member teaching pharmacology, pathophysiology, health information management, and public health
Volunteering not med: 3760 hours, two terms as an AmeriCorps VISTA
Shadowing: 80 hours, family med DO and a pediatrician DO
Awards: Graduated Cum Laude from Northern Arizona University; Sinclair Fellowship recipient for my PhD; Army Good Conduct Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal

I applied to all DO programs as they seem to be more friendly to students my age. Unfortunately, the MCAT did not go as I had hoped but I do have interviews at:

Ross U - 11/5
Rocky Vista University COM - 11/9
ATSU-SOMA - 12/9

I was put on the deferred list for an interview at WVUCOM and Pikeville-KYCOM. I was denied an interview at Midwestern-AZCOM. I am awaiting decisions about an interview from Midwestern-Chicago, Oklahoma State University, Nova Southeastern, VCOM-Virginia, VCOM-Louisiana, and Marian COM

If I don't gain admissions this cycle, I'll make a decision about retaking the MCAT next cycle, taking Ross U up on their offer (if admitted), or calling it a day and using my doctorate to continue in academia. I'll be 49 on Nov. 10 so I won't get too many more bites of this apple and I am praying that a door will open up for me at one of the DO programs that I have applied to.
If you have not applied to these schools already add them this week:
Noorda-COM (new school)
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
ICOM

If you have not applied to these schools already add them this week:
Noorda-COM (new school)
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
LMU-DCOM
WVSOM
ICOM

I did receive a secondary from UIWSOM and applied to ARCOM as I had a colleague make a phone call for me (her relative is the dean of admissions there). I was denied post interview by BCOM and ICOM after my MCAT score was received and Noorda is scary because of the lack of fed loans.

I'm applying after taking a gap year then doing a 5 year PhD and I'm having a good cycle, so if you can write about your experiences and explain your pathway to medicine I'm sure you're gonna be fine.
Awesome, thanks!

Hey everyone, I hope the cycle is going well for everyone and if not I hope it becomes fantastic soon enough. Keep your heads up. The application cycle is crazy while not living through a pandemic so I hope everyone is able to find time for some self-care and aren't too stressed. IT WILL ALL WORK OUT!

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Hey everyone, I hope the cycle is going well for everyone and if not I hope it becomes fantastic soon enough. Keep your heads up. The application cycle is crazy while not living through a pandemic so I hope everyone is able to find time for some self-care and aren't too stressed. IT WILL ALL WORK OUT!

I was blessed to get an acceptance to Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine on 11/23. Have another interview with ATSU-SOMA on 12/9. No matter how this cycle ends up for me, I know that I will be a medical student in the fall. Praying that everyone receives good news before the end of the cycle. 💯

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
URM: Hispanic (Colombian born and raised, Male, Georgia
Undergrad: State University, regionally ranked
MCAT: 497
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.5
Research: 300 hours dealing with Open Reading Frame Genes
Leadership: 2 full years of ROTC courses, withdrawn for medical reasons
Paid Employment not med: 2 jobs first 3 years of college
Paid Employment med: ER/ Hospital medicine scribe
Awards:
HOPE scholarship that covers 75% of tuition costs below 120 hours
Hey all, I wanted to get some feedback on how realistic I should be about my chances at acceptance. I have 2 rejections, both DO schools, and 2 interviews pending with 1 DO school and 1 MD school. I applied broadly to 30 ish schools; with approximately 20 DO and 10 MD, but it has been mostly silence. Aside from continental medical schools, I have an acceptance to St. George and I applied to Ponce in Puerto Rico.

URM: Hispanic (Colombian born and raised, Male, Georgia
Undergrad: State University, regionally ranked
MCAT: 497
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.5
Research: 300 hours dealing with Open Reading Frame Genes
Leadership: 2 full years of ROTC courses, withdrawn for medical reasons
Paid Employment not med: 2 jobs first 3 years of college
Paid Employment med: ER/ Hospital medicine scribe
Awards:
HOPE scholarship that covers 75% of tuition costs below 120 hours
Hey all, I wanted to get some feedback on how realistic I should be about my chances at acceptance. I have 2 rejections, both DO schools, and 2 interviews pending with 1 DO school and 1 MD school. I applied broadly to 30 ish schools; with approximately 20 DO and 10 MD, but it has been mostly silence. Aside from continental medical schools, I have an acceptance to St. George and I applied to Ponce in Puerto Rico.
Your GPA is good, but your MCAT is low. You have interviews, so it's ofc entirely possible that you get in somewhere this cycle. If you find yourself a reapplicant, I would retake the MCAT, aim for 505+, and tack on some volunteering.

Just wanted to say that I hope you all are having a good cycle and staying safe. I think what happened at the capitol building today was likely one of many upcoming acts of far-right extremism in the near future. Please be safe and careful, you are all important and valuable.

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
I'm aware that there was a GroupMe a little while back. Does anyone know of some groups for URM applicants? I'm applying this year.

Does anyone else get stressed that they haven’t prematched places? I keep hearing that the majority of students at schools get accepted at match, and I don’t know how true that is, but does not prematching somewhere bode poorly?

Does anyone else get stressed that they haven’t prematched places? I keep hearing that the majority of students at schools get accepted at match, and I don’t know how true that is, but does not prematching somewhere bode poorly?
Match? Are you talking about residency, TX schools or AMCAS? Only the first two do some type of "match/pre-match"

Where is your state of residence ? You should accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact and another 30 hours of physician shadowing before you apply next June.
CA residency but very strong ties to NC. Have since accumulated clinical volunteering - 50 hours as medical interpreter in rural area and 50 at a hospital.

CA residency but very strong ties to NC. Have since accumulated clinical volunteering - 50 hours as medical interpreter in rural area and 50 at a hospital.
@Faha thoughts on stats and updated info schools I could aim for? restudying for mcat now - shooting for at least 510.

@Faha thoughts on stats and updated info schools I could aim for? restudying for mcat now - shooting for at least 510.
With your cGPA of 3.4 and sGPA of 3.3 and your MCAT of 500 and CA residency I suggest these schools:
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Miami
Wake Forest
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Loyola
Creighton
If you score significantly higher on the MCAT you will be able to add more schools.
You should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
CHSU-COM
UIWSOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)

URM- AA Male
Undergrad: Mid-tier public school in Maryland
Major: Functional bio
Undergrad cGPA- 3.23
Undergrad sGPA- 2.8 (not counting post bacc)
Post-Bacc Masters GPA (44 Units total): 3.85 so far in the program
MCAT- 500 (125/124/126/125) (considering retaking)
Work: Medical Assistant: 1500+ hours (and counting), Scribe: 1200+ Hours, Inner city Middle School Science Teacher: 2 years
Volunteer: Run an after school pre-health club to help connect my kids with medical professionals who share their experience/answer their questions
Shadowing- 300 hrs Anesthesiologist
Maryland Resident

Strong commitment to underserved communities, would like to continue throughout medical school.
Hoping for a school list, thanks! good luck everyone.

@Faha would you be able to provide a list of MD/DO schools that I would be able to apply to if you have time?
Hey Huey, could you tell me where you did your post bacc, kind in the same situation and struggling choosing between a diy postbacc or a formal one

Hey Huey, could you tell me where you did your post bacc, kind in the same situation and struggling choosing between a diy postbacc or a formal one
Got you, shoot me a PM

• Microbiology/Bacteriology
  • Physics and Chemistry
  • (ug GPA of ~3.72; BCMP of ~3.70-3.75)
    MCAT (494-->498 (2016); 503; please, had negative experiences a day prior to all MCATs…so it left bad tastes with me…would rather not write it again)
  • Re-applicant: (first time: applied late (late October) plus low MCATs got interviews and waitlisted; was informed it was due to low MCAT score (outside state schools); state schools (applied early in June; no interviews, etc)
    Minor research experiences with physical (microprocessors and controllers, vacuums, and electrochemistry) and biological (assisted some grad students in their research; coordinated undergraduate research labs; computational biological research) but no pubs or poster presentation. Some independent projects. Currently work along this field
  • A few organisations in uni plus some leadership (student government/student chapters…); peer mentor; internships (1 medical; a few outside…data and finance but nothing major with these)
  • >1200hrs of tutoring and teaching (taught chemistry, physics, and micro/bacteriology labs) tutored physics and math classes.
  • >300hrs of volunteer work (med and non-med): coordinated mission trips (medical, rescue, etc); micro-volunteering; volunteer with orphanages and non-profits
  • >500hrs of shadowing (ER/Renal/Onco/Card; nurse/podiatrist)
Current list of school due to potential fits, curriculum designs, etc..

TMDSAS (re-applying plus new ones):
All
AACOMAS:
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
AMCAS (some reapplying):
Duke University School of Medicine
Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine (both campuses in Arizona and Minnesota…)
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College
The Carle Illinois College of Medicine
The Robert Lanier, M.D. College of Medicine at The University of Vermont
University of Arizona College of Medicine (potentially both campuses in Tucson and Phoenix)
University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Western Michigan University School of Medicine

Thanks y’all @Faha et al.

Last edited: