2020-2021 Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted on 7/29 and besides the initial email telling me that my recommendations haven't been received, I haven't heard anything else from them. Logging back in to the secondary app, it says "Finished" but I'm not sure if that means they've received the letters? I might call them on Monday and see.

Thanks! I also sent an email to ask about the issue, so I'll see if there's any updates.

Members don't see this ad.

I just completed my secondary and didn't get an E-mail saying I'm complete. Got an email from every other school immediately after submitting their secondaries. Did this happen to anyone else?

I just completed my secondary and didn't get an E-mail saying I'm complete. Got an email from every other school immediately after submitting their secondaries. Did this happen to anyone else?
They tell you when you submit it that you might not get a complete email for a few days. Mine took 4 days to get.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question for the second secondary prompt. When it says describe a challenge you faced do you think they're looking for more "challenges in life" or one specific situation. I can either write about a death in the family or a group activity I struggled with, but I'm not sure which direction to take

Quick question for the second secondary prompt. When it says describe a challenge you faced do you think they're looking for more "challenges in life" or one specific situation. I can either write about a death in the family or a group activity I struggled with, but I'm not sure which direction to take

I used it to talk about one specific challenge pertaining to medicine. I'd say do the group activity bc almost everyone experiences death in fam and isn't particularly unique or telling of your qualities

Rejected MSTP! Best of luck to everyone else. Saw it coming, stings a little, but super grateful for what I do have :)

• Care
Reactions: 18 users
Current M1, feel free to DM me if you have any questions at all!

Reactions: 1 user
3 year MD-PhD student here.
From the perspective of MD students:
Weill Cornell and HSS labs are essentially the same thing, many clinical and translational/basic science opportunities
MSKCC labs are very well connected to medical school, (clinical/translational/basic research and rotation wise). There might be some administrative quirks (e.g. you need to get separate id), but usually easily solvable.
Rockefeller University - mainly basic science research labs with some translational ones, you can do research here if you reach out to lab heads directly (each lab is its own department), but rarely done since basic science usually requires serious time investment (not very suitable for AOC, but doable if you reach out yearly in M1/M2 and do research throughout school, but then why not do MD-PhD instead?). Less connected to medical school (however MD-PhD and PTSP residents often do their research here)
Cornell Tech - some collaborations are brewing, unexplored for the most part
Cornell Ithaca - distant relative, no serious connection except the name and some initiatives by administration.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 year MD-PhD student here.
From the perspective of MD students:
Weill Cornell and HSS labs are essentially the same thing, many clinical and translational/basic science opportunities
MSKCC labs are very well connected to medical school, (clinical/translational/basic research and rotation wise). There might be some administrative quirks (e.g. you need to get separate id), but usually easily solvable.
Rockefeller University - mainly basic science research labs with some translational ones, you can do research here if you reach out to lab heads directly (each lab is its own department), but rarely done since basic science usually requires serious time investment (not very suitable for AOC, but doable if you reach out yearly in M1/M2 and do research throughout school, but then why not do MD-PhD instead?). Less connected to medical school (however MD-PhD and PTSP residents often do their research here)
Cornell Tech - some collaborations are brewing, unexplored for the most part
Cornell Ithaca - distant relative, no serious connection except the name and some initiatives by administration.
Thanks for the context! Is it common for MD students to apply internally to the MD-PhD program/ does this process exist?

Thanks for the context! Is it common for MD students to apply internally to the MD-PhD program/ does this process exist?
Yes, it exists. I dont know what "common" in this context is, but there might be one-two MD students every year across M1-M4 who get "converted". Obvious minus is that you don't get tuition/stipend reimbursement for year(s) you already spend as MD student

Yes, it exists. I dont know what "common" in this context is, but there might be one-two MD students every year across M1-M4 who get "converted". Obvious minus is that you don't get tuition/stipend reimbursement for year(s) you already spend as MD student
Got it, thank you! Glad to know that the opportunity is there and occurs regularly

I just got the complete email lol Im guessing I’m in the back of the line hahah how long have people been waiting since the complete email?

I just got the complete email lol Im guessing I’m in the back of the line hahah how long have people been waiting since the complete email?

I love how we've gotten so accustomed to copying and pasting due to secondaries that you copied and pasted this message from the Tulane thread lol

I love how we've gotten so accustomed to copying and pasting due to secondaries that you copied and pasted this message from the Tulane thread lol
And to Tufts lmao

• Haha
Lol I just got my MCAT score so I’m finally getting all the compete emails HAHAAH

For anyone who applied to the Tri-I MSTP and were complete before 7/31, have you not heard back yet? I was complete before August and still haven’t heard back despite other applicants who were complete after my date getting rejections/interview invites.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who applied to the Tri-I MSTP and were complete before 7/31, have you not heard back yet? I was complete before August and still haven’t heard back despite other applicants who were complete after my date getting rejections/interview invites.
Haven’t heard a peep from them and I was complete in July! Guess they just want to play the waiting game...

Reactions: 5 users
Do any current students know anything about the Neuropsychological department at WCM? Like is it a place where med students can volunteer and gain experience from or is it mainly for staff/residents?

admissions timeline on their website says interviews start in september, they must be running behind

im sure if they had started interviews lawlify or hiphopscorpio would have popped in to let us know they got one

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
MD interviews are going out!!

Edit: someone I know got one

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone know if they accept application updates?

I wonder if many interviews were sent out in that first wave. Anyone have an idea?

II just received!! Complete 7/16 OOS!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Current upperclass here. FYI this year’s cycle is probs a bit behind due to staff turnover in the admissions office and the pandemic since everything’s done from home for the admissions staff.

Reactions: 9 users
Current upperclass here. FYI this year’s cycle is probs a bit behind due to staff turnover in the admissions office.

Hey! Do you know if Weill Cornell is receptive to update letters or letters of interest?