2021-2022 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do many people attend BU at ~full COA (like 370k after 4 years)? I love BU but got into a state school of mine and don't know if I can justify this cost. I got 0 financial aid

Members don't see this ad.

Do many people attend BU at ~full COA (like 370k after 4 years)? I love BU but got into a state school of mine and don't know if I can justify this cost. I got 0 financial aid
From my meeting with financial aid, it seems that people at BU either:
1. Have rich parents to pay it
2. Use military commitment programs to have them pay it
3. Take out full CoA loans and either
3a. pursue Primary care commitment programs to pay for it
3b. pursue PSLF loan forgiveness program

Even with a lot of documented need, they still gave me 0 too. Personally I'll be going the PSLF route if I am not admitted elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
From my meeting with financial aid, it seems that people at BU either:
1. Have rich parents to pay it
2. Use military commitment programs to have them pay it
3. Take out full CoA loans and either
3a. pursue Primary care commitment programs to pay for it
3b. pursue PSLF loan forgiveness program

Even with a lot of documented need, they still gave me 0 too. Personally I'll be going the PSLF route if I am not admitted elsewhere.
I'm planning on doing the PSLF program too. I talked with financial aid at BUSM, and I feel like it's pretty doable, especially paired with income-based repayment. As a first-gen college student I had no idea this existed so for anyone who doesn't know: if you make the minimum payment each month for 10 years starting as an intern at a nonprofit hospital (most academic hospitals), the government will forgive all remaining federal loans, even from undergrad. And as a resident, those monthly payments could be around $350.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on doing the PSLF program too. I talked with financial aid at BUSM, and I feel like it's pretty doable, especially paired with income-based repayment. As a first-gen college student I had no idea this existed so for anyone who doesn't know: if you make the minimum payment each month for 10 years starting as an intern at a nonprofit hospital (most academic hospitals), the government will forgive all remaining federal loans, even from undergrad. And as a resident, those monthly payments could be around $350.
makes me feel a whole lot less stressed to know I'm not alone :)

I tried to negotiate with BU using another school’s financial aid package, and they said no before I could even send them the package. I had read so many stories online of that working for other schools, so I was pretty surprised by how quick they shut me down. My plan is to do PSLF or primary care loan forgiveness (depending on what specialty I choose). You can get a serious amount of the loan forgiven this way, making the debt look less real.

I tried to negotiate with BU using another school’s financial aid package, and they said no before I could even send them the package. I had read so many stories online of that working for other schools, so I was pretty surprised by how quick they shut me down. My plan is to do PSLF or primary care loan forgiveness (depending on what specialty I choose). You can get a serious amount of the loan forgiven this way, making the debt look less real.
Lol I was planning to negotiate with BU. How did you go about it? Do you know if it’s a case by case basis or that BU simply doesn’t negotiate aid?

Lol I was planning to negotiate with BU. How did you go about it? Do you know if it’s a case by case basis or that BU simply doesn’t negotiate aid?
At second look it was specifically stated by the admissions dean that BU will not match any other financial aid offers.

I think we should just start a PSLF club at BUSM once we all get there 😂

Seems like the only way students can afford this place is government loan forgiveness

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I called the financial aid office asking to negotiate and I got told no immediately (not in a rude way but very quickly).

Any current students willing to chat? I would be so appreciative to hear your thoughts on BUSM

Does anybody have a positive experience with negotiating financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
does bu have AOA?
Yeah according to the Admitted Students' Guide: "AOA is determined by a combination of grades (the top quartile of the class is considered; pre-clinical grades are purely pass/fail so most of this component is clinical grades) as well as qualities such as leadership and commitment to service to the school and greater community. Students are selected by members of faculty."

Withdrew today. GL to everyone! If you get off the waitlist and have other options go tour bu before you decide lol

Withdrew also. GL to all!

Withdrew today. GL to everyone! If you get off the waitlist and have other options go tour bu before you decide lol
Is there a specific reason you think people should tour prior to? or just like general advice

Is there a specific reason you think people should tour prior to? or just like general advice
My thoughts (withdrew for $$$ reasons) - Boston is freakin awesome. Location within Boston is fine. MSR is convenient, meh, but good for the $. Hospital is fine, (consider the mission). Med school building is a bit outdated and cramped feeling… this last one should not be even close to a deciding factor imo even though I’ve seen this complained about before.

Once you pick the "Commit to Enroll" option on the AMCAS CYMS, how do you withdraw all other apps? Do you manually go through every single secondary app portal and withdraw, including those schools that have rejected you? And do you email the school on top of that?

Once you pick the "Commit to Enroll" option on the AMCAS CYMS, how do you withdraw all other apps? Do you manually go through every single secondary app portal and withdraw, including those schools that have rejected you? And do you email the school on top of that?
My understanding is that you only have to withdraw from schools you've been accepted to and/or you're on the WL for

so should we expect some kind of movement starting next week?

Has anyone had experience asking to increase loan amount for off campus housing?

The room and board part of the COA breakdown is $17,150 and then the MSR grant is $2700. Combined that comes out to enough for just about $1900 a month when the average 1 br price I can find in the south end is closer to $2900 RIP. I used to work at BUSM so I have a very VERY clear idea of the neighborhood I'd like to live in hahahah (I don't want to make the same mistake again). At this point I figure if I'm gonna take out almost 2000/month in loans (almost 100k after 4 years) what's another 50k to live in a place I actually like.

Has anyone tried this with financial aid? I know they're not great with actually giving more aid but I'd hope they'd at least allow me the chance to take out loans lol

Has anyone had experience asking to increase loan amount for off campus housing?

The room and board part of the COA breakdown is $17,150 and then the MSR grant is $2700. Combined that comes out to enough for just about $1900 a month when the average 1 br price I can find in the south end is closer to $2900 RIP. I used to work at BUSM so I have a very VERY clear idea of the neighborhood I'd like to live in hahahah (I don't want to make the same mistake again). At this point I figure if I'm gonna take out almost 2000/month in loans (almost 100k after 4 years) what's another 50k to live in a place I actually like.

Has anyone tried this with financial aid? I know they're not great with actually giving more aid but I'd hope they'd at least allow me the chance to take out loans lol
I just did the BU MAMS program and financial aid is pretty much the same process. They'll give you a loan increase form to fill out for the semester/year and ask that you send proof of utilities/rent/etc... and they decide how much extra to give. It will definitely cover your rent, but you should contact financial services about it.

Has anyone heard of any waitlist movement?
Have been calling the BU admissions office but they would not answer. Would love to know if anyone has been able to reach them and received an answer to this !

Reactions: 1 user