2021-2022 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IS MD received just now, transmitted day 1 (they're coming, folks!)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else having trouble with the preregistration form? I'm entering everything like it is on AMCAS and it still is failing, they re-opened the form but didn't give any guidance on what to change and it still didn't work on my first attempt

anyone else having trouble with the preregistration form? I'm entering everything like it is on AMCAS and it still is failing, they re-opened the form but didn't give any guidance on what to change and it still didn't work on my first attempt
Yes, I also need help with this

Curious if the 'two week deadline' applies starting from the email to pre-register for a secondary or the 'initial contact' email after you register on their site? Anyone have opinions?

Is anyone still waiting for a secondary? I'm kind of concerned I haven't received one yet (OOS, transmitted on the first day)

Curious if the 'two week deadline' applies starting from the email to pre-register for a secondary or the 'initial contact' email after you register on their site? Anyone have opinions?
Email to pre-register for a secondary? Did I miss something? I still haven't gotten a secondary (OOS, verified early)

Any IS peeps still waiting for a secondary? Transmitted 6/25, getting concerned now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Email to pre-register for a secondary? Did I miss something? I still haven't gotten a secondary (OOS, verified early)
I received an email on 7/1 titled 'Boston University School of Medicine; Pre-Registration' that said 'We have received your AMCAS application and appreciate your interest in Boston University School of Medicine. At this time, despite whether or not your AMCAS application is verified, you may begin filling in our supplemental application.' and included instructions to create an account. I didn't get the actual secondary until I registered. The email was from [email protected] if that helps? I was also verified early.

figured it out, my issue was I was putting city, county, state all in the "birth city" box when all you should have is the city name
Thank you so much, that method worked for me.

Does anyone's status say "Application is on Hold; followup email sent"?
I haven't received a followup email though?

Does anyone's status say "Application is on Hold; followup email sent"?
I haven't received a followup email though?
Mine still just says "Supplemental Application Submitted". I'm still waiting on an LOR, though I do have a green 'YES' next to my LOR status.

Mine still just says "Supplemental Application Submitted". I'm still waiting on an LOR, though I do have a green 'YES' next to my LOR status.
Took 2 days for my status to change into "Your application is complete and under review." even though I had all "YES" in that little box.

Took 2 days for my status to change into "Your application is complete and under review." even though I had all "YES" in that little box.
I'm guessing for me its my LOR, since I've been sitting at this status for over a week lol

+1 OOS secondary

For the humanities course requirement, what else can you put aside from English classes?

Where it asks about "personal connections," would attending the school for UG count? it asks for "name, dept, relationship" which makes me think it's specifically asking if you have ties to someone who works there (?)

OOS, secondary this morning.

Does BU screen at all? I'm wondering bc my primary hasn't been verified yet (thank you Parchment fml), but I received a secondary from another school that sends secondaries before primary verif. (GW) way back at the end of June... So i'm confused how one school sent theirs out immediately, and the other took 2 1/2 weeks? Not complaining or anything, just curious on how this mystifying process works if anyone has any insight!!

Does BU screen at all? I'm wondering bc my primary hasn't been verified yet (thank you Parchment fml), but I received a secondary from another school that sends secondaries before primary verif. (GW) way back at the end of June... So i'm confused how one school sent theirs out immediately, and the other took 2 1/2 weeks? Not complaining or anything, just curious on how this mystifying process works if anyone has any insight!!
Only insight is that some schools dribble them out for work flow management purposes while others push them out all at once. Beyond that, most schools wait until you are verified while others want your money ASAP, so, after seeing they are on your list, they send you a secondary without waiting for verification. Put the two together, and you have BU apparently being a school that does not wait for verification, but manages work flow by not sending all secondaries out at once! :)

According to the MSAR Advisor Reports, BU does not screen and sends secondaries to ALL applicants including those NOT verified.

What are you all putting for the additional info essay? I usually do diversity or why us, but I kinda covered those with "narrative or timeline" essay and the "why specifically boston med center" essay. Would it be weird to talk about a random interest?

What are you all putting for the additional info essay? I usually do diversity or why us, but I kinda covered those with "narrative or timeline" essay and the "why specifically boston med center" essay. Would it be weird to talk about a random interest?
The way the said "yes, it is really optional" led me to believe it should really be used only if there is something pressing you would like to discuss, I personally left it blank for that reason

Reactions: 2 users
Can we not submit the secondary if our letters have not bee sent? My school is still working on mine but I am done with the rest of the secondary essays

Can we not submit the secondary if our letters have not bee sent? My school is still working on mine but I am done with the rest of the secondary essays
You can, I submitted a while ago but you won’t be marked complete until your letters are in

Any of you still didn't get a secondary? I'm getting worried

Anyone know how they take the Casper exam into consideration when reviewing applications? Like is there a certain percentile cutoff you need to hit or anything like that?

complete and under review 7/14 (according to portal, no email), submitted 7/12

edit: received email 7/15

Last edited:
For the competencies section, do we just list the courses we took that fulfilled those, or do we have to write about an experience that covers that core competency?

turned in secondary 7/5
for some reason, just got complete email today 7/15 even though my LORs were submitted a long time ago.

turned in secondary 7/5
for some reason, just got complete email today 7/15 even though my LORs were submitted a long time ago.
I got an email and text about being complete today, but according to their portal, I've been complete for 4 days already. Could just be a delay in the email being sent out!

For the competencies section, do we just list the courses we took that fulfilled those, or do we have to write about an experience that covers that core competency?
I just listed courses, but I think you can also list experiences?

Guys I am so confused about the pre registration and the Boston University Account registration. I have completed both and now I have no clue where the supplemental app is?? It said I would recieve an email shortly with the application instructions, and I never did. Can someone tell me which email these instructions are sent from or anything that can help me search my inbox/junk?

Guys I am so confused about the pre registration and the Boston University Account registration. I have completed both and now I have no clue where the supplemental app is?? It said I would recieve an email shortly with the application instructions, and I never did. Can someone tell me which email these instructions are sent from or anything that can help me search my inbox/junk?
I only got 2 emails -- 1 for pre-registration and 1 for registration. Once you register the account, you can log in, and the supplemental should be under one of the tabs on the left hand side (Supplemental Elements, I believe).

Are y'all writing anything for the question regarding unique features of your educational history? I honestly can't think of anything particularly unique, but am afraid to leave it blank. I have pursued piano pretty extensively, but not at the national level or anything like that--plus I already spoke about it somewhat in my primary, so I'm not sure if it's something I should talk about here. Whats the consensus for this question?

maybe a silly question-- but could the app be considered complete without having received a casper score yet?

Are y'all writing anything for the question regarding unique features of your educational history? I honestly can't think of anything particularly unique, but am afraid to leave it blank. I have pursued piano pretty extensively, but not at the national level or anything like that--plus I already spoke about it somewhat in my primary, so I'm not sure if it's something I should talk about here. Whats the consensus for this question?

If you wrote about it in your primary I would avoid writing about it for this essay, as the prompt states that this is a space to write about topics not previously discussed. Also, in my opinion, it is better to leave these optional essays blank than to force a weak topic in there, so I would not be worried about leaving it blank if you feel like your primary application covers everything :) I'm sure there are others who would disagree though so take my opinion with a grain of salt

Does anyone know how long it would take for AMCAS letters to be reflected in the secondary portal? I just assigned my letters to BUSM through AMCAS, and I'm impatient because it won't let me submit the secondary until they are "received" on the portal haha