2021-2022 Nova Southeastern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At second look they said scholarships are going out today, did anyone get one?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone trying to decide between schools but not hearing anything regarding scholarships or financial aid is holding them up 🙃

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone trying to decide between schools but not hearing anything regarding scholarships or financial aid is holding them up 🙃

+1. Someone pull through and email them please lol (I emailed a few weeks ago and don’t want to bother them again)

+1. Someone pull through and email them please lol (I emailed a few weeks ago and don’t want to bother them again)
Take one for the team, I forgot Nova ghosted me when I received some Rs yesterday and thought I could start wrapping up my cycle. End this charade

Has anyone that is planning on attending NSU received an email with their NSU ID, email, portal instructions, etc?

Anyone know if they're still interviewing or sending out IIs? I want to update them but not if their interview season is over lol.

Anyone know if they're still interviewing or sending out IIs? I want to update them but not if their interview season is over lol.
i emailed them on monday asking this and have not had a reply. i am assuming this class is full and we are out of luck :( so sad.

The alternate list was something done later in the cycle where students that were on the waitlist had the option to move there if they were still wanting to be considered.
I’m on the alternate list and KPCOM Ft lauderdale campus is my first choice. I heard that May 1st people have to drop their multiple acceptances and the waitlist frees up, anyone else heard this?

Reactions: 1 user
Current student here.
As the time nears to cut down your acceptances, if you’re legitimately considering going here there are some things you should know.

We have some form of a mandatory class every day monday - friday. They are rarely (boarding on never) helpful. There is a plethora of “busy” work, which wont help prepare you for exams. Most students, unless you’re a genius, have to give up almost all of their hobbies because any time you have not being wasted by the school will need to go towards actually studying. (Just to be clear I understand we’re in med school, but you’ll realize how quickly being forced to be in dumb classes gets irritating when all you want to do is study for your upcoming exam)
There are tons and tons of mandatory feedback forms you must fail out, but they never act on it… so that’s fun.
Lastly if you ultimately fail a course or get in trouble, you’ll be sent to SPAC.
Where you’ll basically have to kiss ass to about 15 people, while they grill you on how their useless lectures or classes didn’t prepare you enough. Then write an essay begging to not be kicked out, which they’ll mull over for a couple days before letting you know.
I personally wish I would have picked a different school.
This however isn’t to scare any of you away, just know what to expect and really really make sure this is the place you want to be at.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Current student here.
As the time nears to cut down your acceptances, if you’re legitimately considering going here there are some things you should know.

We have some form of a mandatory class every day monday - friday. They are rarely (boarding on never) helpful. There is a plethora of “busy” work, which wont help prepare you for exams. Most students, unless you’re a genius, have to give up almost all of their hobbies because any time you have not being wasted by the school will need to go towards actually studying. (Just to be clear I understand we’re in med school, but you’ll realize how quickly being forced to be in dumb classes gets irritating when all you want to do is study for your upcoming exam)
There are tons and tons of mandatory feedback forms you must fail out, but they never act on it… so that’s fun.
Lastly if you ultimately fail a course or get in trouble, you’ll be sent to SPAC.
Where you’ll basically have to kiss ass to about 15 people, while they grill you on how their useless lectures or classes didn’t prepare you enough. Then write an essay begging to not be kicked out, which they’ll mull over for a couple days before letting you know.
This however isn’t to scare any of you away, just know what to expect and really really make sure this is the place you want to be at.
Any chance we could get a peep at the match list? 👀

Still haven't managed to get my hands on it

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current student here.

guess I’ll be declining my spot on the waitlist

Current student here.

I am a current student too. I opened a new account so that I am not identified from my last years posts. Last thing I want is being targeted for speaking out.
I had gotten admission in other schools and joined the MD program here. Quality of professors is average to below average. Not well organized program. There was a class where almost 1/3rd of the class was close to failing. They are under staffed and overwhelmed. You would have seen it in the admission process. I regret giving up other programs for the sake of few thousand $$ (Local student). Very dumb decision. If you have gotten into other established programs it is a no brainer.

• Wow
I am a current student too. I opened a new account so that I am not identified from my last years posts. Last thing I want is being targeted for speaking out.
I had gotten admission in other schools and joined the MD program here. Quality of professors is average to below average. Not well organized program. There was a class where almost 1/3rd of the class was close to failing. They are under staffed and overwhelmed. You would have seen it in the admission process. I regret giving up other programs for the sake of few thousand $$ (Local student). Very dumb decision. If you have gotten into other established programs it is a no brainer.
so ur saying Nova's DO program is a better choice than the MD

so ur saying Nova's DO program is a better choice than the MD

I hope that’s what they’re saying because I’m on the DO alternate list.

FWIW I heard from faculty and Deans at other FL MD schools that there appears to be some animosity between the MD and DO programs at NOVA/NSU.

Anyone have intel on this?

Nova's DO program is a well structured and better managed program than MD program.

Their last interview should be this Friday (I think, it's possible that there is one after that). There's a chance someone will drop out of the interview and they will extend it to someone else though! But keep in mind there is a processing time for the updates. IMO it can't hurt you to do it, just do it very fast.
Hi there. What is your source for knowing that there are interviews tomorrow or even possibly next week? Good luck all :)

I know there's an interview tomorrow because I got the invite! I assume it's the last one because it's very late in the season and they say they stop interviewing early May, but I can't say that for sure, which is why I added that it's possible there are more.
Good luck tomorrow. Fingers crossed for you.

I was really considering NOVA but the combination of the zero communication regarding scholarships and financial aid days before we need to choose a single school and the red flags being raised by current students on here is really creating doubts for me. Will be turning down my A in favour of other opportunities

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
Current student here.

Also a student here and I just wanted provide some additional perspective. I sympathize with Dumb Throwaway but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a medical school that didn't keep you busy. Whether it's required lectures or other activities, it's the nature of medical school. I understand it's especially frustrating when you need to perform well on examinations. I think this mindset ebbs and flows through all M1s and M2s tbh and only when you come out on the other side do you realize it's part of the process. Hindsight amirite?!? But to OP's point, no place is perfect, medical school is stressful and it's only natural to be disgruntled, especially when you know no different.

In regards to SPAC, I went myself when I was getting below 75% on a few of my exams, having never been prior I was terrified but soon realized they were just trying to get me the resources I needed to succeed on my upcoming step 1 examination. I did not have to kiss anyone's ass or write a letter (but that was just my experience). I just explained my study process and was given advice on how to improve. I improved and was never called back. I think because it's such a small program and a new program, they had/have the time to invest in the students in that regard. I don't think, of course I don't know for sure, that anyone has been kicked out for anything academic. It's really hard to get kicked out of medical school, like I think you need to be hardcore cheating with evidence or committing actual crimes against society. Again, M1 year causes highs and lows that will make you prone to hyperbolic statements.

I agree with OP, really, really make sure this is the place you want to be. If you're lucky to have more than 1 MD acceptance, think about cost, think about future career goals, think about location. If NSU MD lines up then pick it, if not then pick what's best for you. I think looking at this and previous year's match rates is a good start: US MDs had around a 93% chance of matching, US DO seniors around 91%, US IMGs (most caribbean) 61%. Residency Data & Reports

I cannot speak on behalf of my classmates or other classes at NSU MD. But from my perspective and from those I am close to, which is a lot of people because it's such a small class. Our class as a whole did good on step 1, above the national avg 100% first time pass rate, same for step 2. We ended up with 100% residency placement rate, that means by friday of match week, everyone had a spot. I think less than 4 soaped or only got a one year position but I don't know the number for sure or the details, but it was small number. Also some members of the charter class took a year off for research and/or are getting masters degrees.
Nova's DO program is a well structured and better managed program than MD program.
I don't know how this person knows this? I don't know if they're a simultaneously a student at both programs? But I think the numbers, in regards to match suggest attending a US MD program, slightly edges out US DO. But I cannot speak to the organization at the DO program, as I am not a student there. Though I have met some incredible people who are students there on campus and on clinical rotations. They also had an incredible match this year from what I hear. But the curriculums are at each program are very different and they don't intersect. However, the faculty of the sciences are shared throughout all the HPD programs. NSU MD has its own admin and POM faculty. NSU MD is PBL based, so small group learning, optional morning lectures. We also have a Practice of medicine (POM) course that starts M1 year, which prepares you for clinical rotations, this is once a week and required, you work through clinical cases, see standardized patients, etc. POM was pretty well organized (and that's coming from the perspective of a charter class member, the class that arguably faced the most bumps in the road:)).

The DO program is, obviously, more established, larger (hence more faculty and staff), and likely, although i don't know for sure, better funded because they have more students. To give you perspective, the ft lauderdale campus matriculates 250 students. The MD program is a measly 50. The DO program has more clinical rotation sites, both in the broward and dade area but also in Southwest Florida, but keep in mind, they also have 150 additional matriculants per class at the new Tampa location. That's 400 DO students, a year. So I'd argue we are competing less for those resources within our own program. But I don't know for sure because I was never a student at the NSU DO program.

In regards to the clinical rotation sites at NSU MD, it's HCA East hospitals (Aventura, Kendall, WS/NW, University, PGH, Mercy), so at least you won't have to leave town for all of them, you'll be in the general area. Are they amazing hospitals, ehhhh...? but they're alright and you'll see a lot different patient populations and a lot pathologies, mostly you'll meet some really great patients who just need help and you'll work with physicians and residents that care a lot about their patients. For Peds, the school PAYS FOR YOUR HOUSING to go to Nemours in Orlando, which is a well regarded peds hospital. I don't know if the DO program pays for student housing for rotations that are not commutable?

Lastly, I think this OP said the faculty has been average to below avg. My experience was not the same and I am not sure if OP has gotten to the clinical portion of their education but I will wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. I don't know what their gauge is for this statement, perhaps it's their own learning style or studying habits. But we have some incredible professors and clinicians, some who have been in their field for over 30-40 years who are just gems of knowledge and insight. Some have come and gone but never forgotten. Not everyone is perfect or has the style of Dr. Jason Ryan or Dr. Sattar but we have some really really outstanding ones, we're lucky, I wish OP could see that.

Take if from me, an avg student who matched pretty well, NSU MD will get you where you need to be. And, hopefully you'll make some friends along the way.

Any chance we could get a peep at the match list? 👀

Still haven't managed to get my hands on it
let me tell you what I remember from match day, which also was being posted live on the NSU instagram throughout the day. I think it was also shared at 2nd look?

Anesthesiology: UCLA, University of Miami/Jackson
Emergency medicine: University of Chicago, UT Southeastern, George Washington, University of Rochester, Orlando Health, Port St. Lucie
General surgery: Kendall, Robert Packer (sp? sorry), University of Illinois Chicago, University of Hawaii, University of Buffalo
Internal Medicine: UF Shands, Dartmouth, Tulane, University of Miami/Jackson, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, UT Houston, UT Austin, Mt Sinai Miami
OB/Gyn: University of Colorado Denver, Rush, Brandon Regional
Peds: Nicklaus Childrens in Miami, Westchester Hospital in NY
Plastic Surgery: Wake Forest
prelim surgery: brookdale NY, UF, northwell, MUSC
prelim IM: UF, yale-new haven
Psych: California Pacific Med Center, UF Shands, USC Greenville, Largo medical center
Orthopedic surgery: Ohio State
Radiology: UF Shands, Aventura, Mt Sinai Miami
Radiation Oncology: Fox Chase PA

I might have forgotten some, but you get the general gist, we did pretty good. Really proud of my classmates, all of them, I watched them work their butts off over these past 4 years.:claps:

p.s. that email fake out y'all got sucked, i read about that in this thread. That was stupid and I am sorry you had to go through that. I can only hope someone in admin sees this thread and vows to never do it again!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Also a student here and I just wanted provide some additional perspective. I sympathize with Dumb Throwaway but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a medical school that didn't keep you busy. Whether it's required lectures or other activities, it's the nature of medical school. I understand it's especially frustrating when you need to perform well on examinations. I think this mindset ebbs and flows through all M1s and M2s tbh and only when you come out on the other side do you realize it's part of the process. Hindsight amirite?!? But to OP's point, no place is perfect, medical school is stressful and it's only natural to be disgruntled, especially when you know no different.

In regards to SPAC, I went myself when I was getting below 75% on a few of my exams, having never been prior I was terrified but soon realized they were just trying to get me the resources I needed to succeed on my upcoming step 1 examination. I did not have to kiss anyone's ass or write a letter (but that was just my experience). I just explained my study process and was given advice on how to improve. I improved and was never called back. I think because it's such a small program and a new program, they had/have the time to invest in the students in that regard. I don't think, of course I don't know for sure, that anyone has been kicked out for anything academic. It's really hard to get kicked out of medical school, like I think you need to be hardcore cheating with evidence or committing actual crimes against society. Again, M1 year causes highs and lows that will make you prone to hyperbolic statements.

I agree with OP, really, really make sure this is the place you want to be. If you're lucky to have more than 1 MD acceptance, think about cost, think about future career goals, think about location. If NSU MD lines up then pick it, if not then pick what's best for you. I think looking at this and previous year's match rates is a good start: US MDs had around a 93% chance of matching, US DO seniors around 91%, US IMGs (most caribbean) 61%. Residency Data & Reports

I cannot speak on behalf of my classmates or other classes at NSU MD. But from my perspective and from those I am close to, which is a lot of people because it's such a small class. Our class as a whole did good on step 1, above the national avg 100% first time pass rate, same for step 2. We ended up with 100% residency placement rate, that means by friday of match week, everyone had a spot. I think less than 4 soaped or only got a one year position but I don't know the number for sure or the details, but it was small number. Also some members of the charter class took a year off for research and/or are getting masters degrees.

I don't know how this person knows this? I don't know if they're a simultaneously a student at both programs? But I think the numbers, in regards to match suggest attending a US MD program, slightly edges out US DO. But I cannot speak to the organization at the DO program, as I am not a student there. Though I have met some incredible people who are students there on campus and on clinical rotations. They also had an incredible match this year from what I hear. But the curriculums are at each program are very different and they don't intersect. However, the faculty of the sciences are shared throughout all the HPD programs. NSU MD has its own admin and POM faculty. NSU MD is PBL based, so small group learning, optional morning lectures. We also have a Practice of medicine (POM) course that starts M1 year, which prepares you for clinical rotations, this is once a week and required, you work through clinical cases, see standardized patients, etc. POM was pretty well organized (and that's coming from the perspective of a charter class member, the class that arguably faced the most bumps in the road:)).

The DO program is, obviously, more established, larger (hence more faculty and staff), and likely, although i don't know for sure, better funded because they have more students. To give you perspective, the ft lauderdale campus matriculates 250 students. The MD program is a measly 50. The DO program has more clinical rotation sites, both in the broward and dade area but also in Southwest Florida, but keep in mind, they also have 150 additional matriculants per class at the new Tampa location. That's 400 DO students, a year. So I'd argue we are competing less for those resources within our own program. But I don't know for sure because I was never a student at the NSU DO program.

In regards to the clinical rotation sites at NSU MD, it's HCA East hospitals (Aventura, Kendall, WS/NW, University, PGH, Mercy), so at least you won't have to leave town for all of them, you'll be in the general area. Are they amazing hospitals, ehhhh...? but they're alright and you'll see a lot different patient populations and a lot pathologies, mostly you'll meet some really great patients who just need help and you'll work with physicians and residents that care a lot about their patients. For Peds, the school PAYS FOR YOUR HOUSING to go to Nemours in Orlando, which is a well regarded peds hospital. I don't know if the DO program pays for student housing for rotations that are not commutable?

Lastly, I think this OP said the faculty has been average to below avg. My experience was not the same and I am not sure if OP has gotten to the clinical portion of their education but I will wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. I don't know what their gauge is for this statement, perhaps it's their own learning style or studying habits. But we have some incredible professors and clinicians, some who have been in their field for over 30-40 years who are just gems of knowledge and insight. Some have come and gone but never forgotten. Not everyone is perfect or has the style of Dr. Jason Ryan or Dr. Sattar but we have some really really outstanding ones, we're lucky, I wish OP could see that.

Take if from me, an avg student who matched pretty well, NSU MD will get you where you need to be. And, hopefully you'll make some friends along the way.

let me tell you what I remember from match day, which also was being posted live on the NSU instagram throughout the day. I think it was also shared at 2nd look?

Anesthesiology: UCLA, University of Miami/Jackson
Emergency medicine: University of Chicago, UT Southeastern, George Washington, University of Rochester, Orlando Health, Port St. Lucie
General surgery: Kendall, Robert Packer (sp? sorry), University of Illinois Chicago, University of Hawaii, University of Buffalo
Internal Medicine: UF Shands, Dartmouth, Tulane, University of Miami/Jackson, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, UT Houston, UT Austin, Mt Sinai Miami
OB/Gyn: University of Colorado Denver, Rush, Brandon Regional
Peds: Nicklaus Childrens in Miami, Westchester Hospital in NY
Plastic Surgery: Wake Forest
prelim surgery: brookdale NY, UF, northwell, MUSC
prelim IM: UF, yale-new haven
Psych: California Pacific Med Center, UF Shands, USC Greenville, Largo medical center
Orthopedic surgery: Ohio State
Radiology: UF Shands, Aventura, Mt Sinai Miami
Radiation Oncology: Fox Chase PA

I might have forgotten some, but you get the general gist, we did pretty good. Really proud of my classmates, all of them, I watched them work their butts off over these past 4 years.:claps:

p.s. that email fake out y'all got sucked, i read about that in this thread. That was stupid and I am sorry you had to go through that. I can only hope someone in admin sees this thread and vows to never do it again!
I would take OP’s comment with a huge grain of salt. They may be suffering from nostalgia and painting a rosier picture than what was the reality.
For starters the charter class got a lot of love from faculty because they are the first class and to make up for what was a lot of BS.
However they’ve continued to add more dumb **** year after year that you will find to be a waste of time.
For example, the current M1s were randomly assigned doctors at random locations to go shadow multiple times, with no regard for what their specialty interests were or how far it is from the campus. (Some students are having to drive all the way to boca for a specialty they have 0 interest in). We already shadowed to get into medical school, why are they making them do more? Is rotations not enough?
There was also some like cooking assignment? Where they had to get in assigned groups and film themselves cooking to “learn” about nutrition. Idk that just seemed dumb af.

The faculty has also been cracking down on people having their phones out and doing anki during the mandatory classes, like what is this middle school? just about everyone does anki during the mandatory classes to mitigate how much of our time gets wasted.
A lot of mandatory things aren’t even related to the block your in, it’ll be some journal club or wellness event, without fail another 2 hours of your life gone.

OP forgot to mention the beauty of RIA week, it’s a week at the end of each block where they waste your full day for a week doing more “wellness” activities, instead of… idk letting you have a week off to actually decompress? Maybe go see your family?

While i wouldn't say the DO program doesn’t have it’s own short comings, i would pick them if you’re not interested in any competitive specialties, you'll be happier over there. otherwise simply for the MD having better match i would say go to the MD. Like the other person said, it’s a no brainer versus any other MD program though.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
For example, the current M1s were randomly assigned doctors at random locations to go shadow multiple times, with no regard for what their specialty interests were or how far it is from the campus. (Some students are having to drive all the way to boca for a specialty they have 0 interest in). We already shadowed to get into medical school, why are they making them do more? Is rotations not enough?
We also had M1 community preceptors that continued through to M2 year. The idea is that you get early clinical exposure, it's one half day a week, a few hours maybe. I found it nice to have clinical exposure during pre-clerkship because I was able to keep my eye on the prize of patient care without getting too caught up in the minutiae of the science courses. We had to do 10-12 visits per semester, can't remember the exact number. I don't know if that's changed. Some people were able to build good professional relationships with their preceptors that they could rely on when seeking LORs for match, myself included.

I suppose it just depends on your perspective. Ours may differ due to life experiences and outlook. Nonetheless, good luck to you, PM me if you need any help with anything.

Interesting to get different perspectives.

Seems to me like the school tries to be very involved with students' lives/learning to a point where it's almost like a chokehold for some. I personally could never survive all that PBL/mandatory activity. This is nothing new though and something they really emphasize, especially with such a small class size. I guess if you're matriculating here, keep your expectations in check.

Interesting to get different perspectives.

Seems to me like the school tries to be very involved with students' lives/learning to a point where it's almost like a chokehold for some. I personally could never survive all that PBL/mandatory activity. This is nothing new though and something they really emphasize, especially with such a small class size. I guess if you're matriculating here, keep your expectations in check.
Chokehold for sure, good luck getting those pubs up when there’s no down time.

Reactions: 1 users
Class of 2022 number of publications listed in ERAS was higher than the national average for previous match years.
0 derm
1/3 kids got ortho who wanted it…
C’s make you average, getting only B’s didnt get us into med school and those are above average.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
0 derm
1/3 kids got ortho who wanted it…
C’s make you average, getting only B’s didnt get us into med school and those are above average.
Oh boy you sound like someone I’d love to have on my team 🙄. Can’t wait for you to get to 3rd year and residency. No one even applied derm. And, bro, ortho was competitive AF this year, lots of excellent candidates from great places didn’t match. That’s a residency funding issue not a school or individual issue. Harsh, bro, harsh.

I don't want to get into arguments. Just wanted to share my opinion and few of my friends. My views align well with those of Dumb Throwaway.

My room mates (2 of them)are in the NOVA DO program and they appear to be happy and don't hear complains from them. Their schedules are different from ours. They always tell me they get good support and guidance that are some times lacking here.​

Reactions: 1 users
All the lurking NOVA students jumping in with their throwaways be like

Interested Kim Kardashian GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else struggling to pick a school today?? Really liked NSU but wanted to hear back about financial aid first :(

Reactions: 3 users
Do we absolutely have to make a decision on one school today? I literally haven't received any finical aid notification except for one school.

Maybe its just a matter of making the decision with location, living expenses(which is actually a huge factor), and student experiences in mind

I get that but I’ve thought about tbe other aspects thoroughly, COA/fin aid is my biggest tiebreaker and they said at second look we’d hear about it prior to the 30th

Just emailed financial aid & was told that scholarships will be sent out today 🤞🏽

Did anyone recieve an automated email about retrieving their NSU ID and a link to the portal? I’m WL but is that a sign of good news? I submitted fafsa a week ago.

I received my update on Friday
Does that mean you were offered a scholarship Friday? And does that also mean that those of us who didn't hear anything should assume we wont be receiving a scholarship offer?