2021-2022 Nova Southeastern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does that mean you were offered a scholarship Friday? And does that also mean that those of us who didn't hear anything should assume we wont be receiving a scholarship offer?

No! That person may have been offered a scholarship but admissions did confirm to me that the scholarship committee is still working

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
No! That person may have been offered a scholarship but admissions did confirm to me that the scholarship committee is still working
Damn I guess I'll just hold multiple acceptances past the deadline since I'm waiting to hear from them...

• Angry
From my understanding some schools will automatically withdraw you for holding multiple As past the PTE date….might be worth looking into for your schools
Damn I guess I'll just hold multiple acceptances past the deadline since I'm waiting to hear from them...

Members don't see this ad :)
They did say they have more scholarships to give out, but the first round of those going out is over. I would guess they will send more once people with scholarships withdraw from the school or when they accept people that haven't gotten a post-interview decision yet. They probably also aren't going to send you something saying you won't get one either. I would make your decision on the assumption that you won't get one instead of risking it and also making people on the waiting list wait longer.

For example, the current M1s were randomly assigned doctors at random locations to go shadow multiple times, with no regard for what their specialty interests were or how far it is from the campus. (Some students are having to drive all the way to boca for a specialty they have 0 interest in). We already shadowed to get into medical school, why are they making them do more? Is rotations not enough?
We also had M1 community preceptors that continued through to M2 year. The idea is that you get early clinical exposure, it's one half day a week, a few hours maybe. I found it nice to have clinical exposure during pre-clerkship because I was able to keep my eye on the prize of patient care without getting too caught up in the minutiae of the science courses. We had to do 10-12 visits per semester, can't remember the exact number. I don't know if that's changed. Some people were able to build good professional relationships with their preceptors that they could rely on when seeking LORs for match, myself included.
i'm an accepted student, not a current student, but I did want to mention that the DO program at NSU also has/had a pre-clerkship shadowing requirement, at least in past years. i don't remember if the DO program got rid of it in recent years or not, but it sounds like the MD program is taking the idea from there
Edit: just heard back from a friend at the DO program—the shadowing during OMS I & II used to be mandatory and assigned, but is now an elective where students can choose a mentor to shadow from the DO school's provided list given availability

Last edited:
To all those with no IIs from this program. They finally responded to my email from last week pleading for a II:

It is good to hear from you and hear of your interest in NSU MD. As we received a high number of applications, we were unfortunately able to interview all the applicants. The interviews are now closed for this cycle. If you are still interested, the application reopens next month for next year’s new class. We truly appreciate you.

Lol you bet I will NOT be reapplying to NOVA again after this whirlwind of bull**** hahah.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
To all those with no IIs from this program. They finally responded to my email from last week pleading for a II:

It is good to hear from you and hear of your interest in NSU MD. As we received a high number of applications, we were unfortunately able to interview all the applicants. The interviews are now closed for this cycle. If you are still interested, the application reopens next month for next year’s new class. We truly appreciate you.

Lol you bet I will NOT be reapplying to NOVA again after this whirlwind of bull**** hahah.
Do we all feel appreciated? This reads "better luck next time!"

Last edited:
They expect professionalism/compassion from applicants yet they don't exhibit it. Sorry for those who didn't get an II and left stranded.

Reactions: 2 users
Lads I am getting very worried. Only school I got an interview with and have been on the WL since mid march. How much hope should I hold out?

I'm in the same position. I am don't expect anything, preparing to apply again either this cycle or the next, but I am very worried because I've heard being a reapplicant is a disadvantage
Lads I am getting very worried. Only school I got an interview with and have been on the WL since mid march. How much hope should I hold out?
Y'all got basically a 50/50 shot of getting in. thats plenty to stay hopeful for! knowing how slow their admission department moves with everything, dont take the slow WL movement this early on as negative! There will be plenty of movement for yall soon!

Y'all got basically a 50/50 shot of getting in. thats plenty to stay hopeful for! knowing how slow their admission department moves with everything, dont take the slow WL movement this early on as negative! There will be plenty of movement for yall soon!
Yeah hold strong WL. Hope to see you guys on the other side

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you copy this from the actual email? Doesn't make sense. Hilarious actually.

As we received a high number of applications, we were unfortunately able to interview all the applicants.

Did you copy this from the actual email? Doesn't make sense. Hilarious actually.

As we received a high number of applications, we were unfortunately able to interview all the applicants.
I am not joking, this is verbatim lmao.

Hard is it to send a rejection letter. Got the fake II in feb, sent updates, and I can’t even get a R? The only school to not respond to me after May 1

• Sad
I really didn't wanna post, but the things one person have said really bothered me. I want to say that I mostly agree with all of what "Zac Nephron" had to say. They sound like one of my classmates I would get along with well. I can truly say that as about-to-graduate MS4's looking back, life is good and school was fine. The qualms I have with this school are minor. Medical school is challenging, but entirely doable with discipline, time management, and a good attitude.

Pre-clinical years allowed me to maintain my hobbies, learn a ton of medicine, and have a good time doing it. I learned so much about myself, my physical and mental health, and met so many incredible people along the way. MS3 was home to some of my life's coolest experiences. I wouldn't want to repeat medical school, but that's how some of life's best experiences are. The best thing I never want to do again.

Now to respond to some points I took issue with:

We have some form of a mandatory class every day monday - friday. They are rarely (boarding on never) helpful. There is a plethora of “busy” work, which wont help prepare you for exams.
2 hours of mandatory PBL/TBL ~4 days a week and 1 single 8 hour day. It really can't get much less strenuous than this, so I don't really know how to expound. I found our mandatory schedule requirements very, very reasonable and had plenty of time to study outside of them, even counting the "busy" work of preparing a simple presentation for PBL. I disagree that they were "rarely (boarding on never) helpful". PBL is preparing you to discuss cases and work through differentials which will pay off MS3 and beyond. PBL is also much more fun and useful if the entire team is engaged. It's exhausting when members of the team are disengaged with bad attitudes (hopefully not you).
Most students, unless you’re a genius, have to give up almost all of their hobbies because any time you have not being wasted by the school will need to go towards actually studying. (Just to be clear I understand we’re in med school, but you’ll realize how quickly being forced to be in dumb classes gets irritating when all you want to do is study for your upcoming exam)
I and most of my friends maintained most of our hobbies. I regularly spent ~5 hours a week on my main hobby, worked out 2-4 times a week, and played plenty of video games M1 and M2 year. Again, "forced to be in dumb classes", is relative. It's medical school, there will be some required classes, and we don't have a ton. You have a relatively large amount of free time.
There are tons and tons of mandatory feedback forms you must fail out, but they never act on it… so that’s fun.
These forms are annoying of course, but realistically they take at most a few minutes of your time every couple months or so. I can't speak to if they "act on it". The ones that go to your peers can actually be read by your peers, and I personally have gotten good advice about group communication from a classmate through these forms, so they're not entirely useless. It's also such a small thing to complain about.
Lastly if you ultimately fail a course or get in trouble, you’ll be sent to SPAC.
Where you’ll basically have to kiss ass to about 15 people, while they grill you on how their useless lectures or classes didn’t prepare you enough. Then write an essay begging to not be kicked out, which they’ll mull over for a couple days before letting you know.
Uh...yeah, that's the point? Don't fail a course or get in trouble if you don't want to go to SPAC. If you fail a course, you need to explain what happened and how you're going to fix it.
I personally wish I would have picked a different school.
This however isn’t to scare any of you away, just know what to expect and really really make sure this is the place you want to be at.
Just a contrary viewpoint, I'm so glad I picked this school and ended up matching at my #1 residency choice at a fantastic program (like a huge portion of my classmates).
I would take OP’s comment with a huge grain of salt. They may be suffering from nostalgia and painting a rosier picture than what was the reality.
For starters the charter class got a lot of love from faculty because they are the first class and to make up for what was a lot of BS.
As far as "got a lot of love", really not sure what you mean. Our struggles and triumphs were the same as any other medical school class. We still went through BS to make the curriculum better for all classes under us. Having talked to many underclassmen, the majority have been satisfied and M1/M2 specifically sounds a bit better.
However they’ve continued to add more dumb **** year after year that you will find to be a waste of time.
For example, the current M1s were randomly assigned doctors at random locations to go shadow multiple times, with no regard for what their specialty interests were or how far it is from the campus. (Some students are having to drive all the way to boca for a specialty they have 0 interest in). We already shadowed to get into medical school, why are they making them do more? Is rotations not enough?
If they're honestly having to drive far away to a specialty they have 0 interest in, that kinda sucks, but I wonder if that's the whole story? We were assigned Primary Care preceptors M1/M2 year and would actually start to see patients in the office for ~4 hours/week under their supervision. I wasn't interested in Family Medicine, but I still got a lot out of the experience.
There was also some like cooking assignment? Where they had to get in assigned groups and film themselves cooking to “learn” about nutrition. Idk that just seemed dumb af.
This was a MS4 online Nutrition elective, where one of the few assignments was filming a few recipes. I'm confused how you know about this, why you care about this, or why you chose to write about such an obscure thing as a qualm lol
The faculty has also been cracking down on people having their phones out and doing anki during the mandatory classes, like what is this middle school? just about everyone does anki during the mandatory classes to mitigate how much of our time gets wasted.
Don't have your phone out during the 2 hours of mandatory classes, boo-hoo. You'll have time to crush spacebar sometime during the other 22 hours in the day.
A lot of mandatory things aren’t even related to the block your in, it’ll be some journal club or wellness event, without fail another 2 hours of your life gone.
These are so infrequent it's a moot point.
OP forgot to mention the beauty of RIA week, it’s a week at the end of each block where they waste your full day for a week doing more “wellness” activities, instead of… idk letting you have a week off to actually decompress? Maybe go see your family?
Aside from the exams during these periods, these weeks were actually welcome by me because it was like a transition point to the next block. We also got plenty of vacation time in my opinion, that I didn't find myself wanting more during RIA (essentially testing) weeks of all weeks.
While i wouldn't say the DO program doesn’t have it’s own short comings, i would pick them if you’re not interested in any competitive specialties, you'll be happier over there. otherwise simply for the MD having better match i would say go to the MD. Like the other person said, it’s a no brainer versus any other MD program though.
You think the DO students are just all butterflies and rainbows? When I've talked to my friends in the DO program, they're shocked at the amount of free time we had/have, as well as the 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum. I don't think you understand how well we have it.
0 derm
1/3 kids got ortho who wanted it…
C’s make you average, getting only B’s didnt get us into med school and those are above average.
Yikes. Not only are you uninformed, your priorities are incredibly cringe. Get off SDN and lift some weights.

If any current or future students have questions about NSU MD and want my perspective looking back, feel free to ask/DM me. It was a fun ride and I'm glad to be at the station now. Peace, love, and harmony everyone.

shoutout Dr. Vassal

• Care
  • Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
I was going to stay out off this because this thread has already made it all around the school (hello faculty), but "Kanye vest" is wrong about quite a few things and I'd like to point them out. Seriously I wouldn't bother listening to the M4 class who's 2 years removed from a curriculum that "keeps trying to be better."

I and most of my friends maintained most of our hobbies. I regularly spent ~5 hours a week on my main hobby, worked out 2-4 times a week, and played plenty of video games M1 and M2 year.
Uhhh yeah that's not happening. Not for anyone I know. You can maybe pick 1 of 3 listed.

Uh...yeah, that's the point? Don't fail a course or get in trouble if you don't want to go to SPAC. If you fail a course, you need to explain what happened and how you're going to fix it.
You can get sent to spac for some very dumb reasons. So the notion that only the bad students are being sent is also wrong.

Our struggles and triumphs were the same as any other medical school class.
Your struggles were self made according to the faculty (you were a problematic class) and your triumphs (match) were hardly impressive. Dumbthrowaway may be a dick, but I won't praise you either. Good thing you got in all the video game time though.

This was a MS4 online Nutrition elective, where one of the few assignments was filming a few recipes. I'm confused how you know about this, why you care about this, or why you chose to write about such an obscure thing as a qualm lol
Shows you don't have an idea of the current curriculum. They weren't talking about your elective.

When I've talked to my friends in the DO program, they're shocked at the amount of free time we had/have, as well as the 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum. I don't think you understand how well we have it.
My DO friends who have read this thread (it's gone that far) were "shocked" we have to come in every day. They were not envious when told about what PBL/TBL/IQ is....

Not only are you uninformed, your priorities are incredibly cringe.
Yeah you said it bud... who's reading sdn before going off to residency?

Peace, love, and harmony everyone.

Your struggles were self made according to the faculty (you were a problematic class) and your triumphs (match) were hardly impressive. Dumbthrowaway may be a dick, but I won't praise you either. Good thing you got in all the video game time though.
May all your 3rd year evals be 1/5. You deserve it.

• Dislike
I really didn't wanna post, but the things one person have said really bothered me. I want to say that I mostly agree with all of what "Zac Nephron" had to say. They sound like one of my classmates I would get along with well. I can truly say that as about-to-graduate MS4's looking back, life is good and school was fine. The qualms I have with this school are minor. Medical school is challenging, but entirely doable with discipline, time management, and a good attitude.

Pre-clinical years allowed me to maintain my hobbies, learn a ton of medicine, and have a good time doing it. I learned so much about myself, my physical and mental health, and met so many incredible people along the way. MS3 was home to some of my life's coolest experiences. I wouldn't want to repeat medical school, but that's how some of life's best experiences are. The best thing I never want to do again.

Now to respond to some points I took issue with:

2 hours of mandatory PBL/TBL ~4 days a week and 1 single 8 hour day. It really can't get much less strenuous than this, so I don't really know how to expound. I found our mandatory schedule requirements very, very reasonable and had plenty of time to study outside of them, even counting the "busy" work of preparing a simple presentation for PBL. I disagree that they were "rarely (boarding on never) helpful". PBL is preparing you to discuss cases and work through differentials which will pay off MS3 and beyond. PBL is also much more fun and useful if the entire team is engaged. It's exhausting when members of the team are disengaged with bad attitudes (hopefully not you).

I and most of my friends maintained most of our hobbies. I regularly spent ~5 hours a week on my main hobby, worked out 2-4 times a week, and played plenty of video games M1 and M2 year. Again, "forced to be in dumb classes", is relative. It's medical school, there will be some required classes, and we don't have a ton. You have a relatively large amount of free time.

These forms are annoying of course, but realistically they take at most a few minutes of your time every couple months or so. I can't speak to if they "act on it". The ones that go to your peers can actually be read by your peers, and I personally have gotten good advice about group communication from a classmate through these forms, so they're not entirely useless. It's also such a small thing to complain about.

Just a contrary viewpoint, I'm so glad I picked this school and ended up matching at my #1 residency choice at a fantastic program (like a huge portion of my classmates).

As far as "got a lot of love", really not sure what you mean. Our struggles and triumphs were the same as any other medical school class. We still went through BS to make the curriculum better for all classes under us. Having talked to many underclassmen, the majority have been satisfied and M1/M2 specifically sounds a bit better.

If they're honestly having to drive far away to a specialty they have 0 interest in, that kinda sucks, but I wonder if that's the whole story? We were assigned Primary Care preceptors M1/M2 year and would actually start to see patients in the office for ~4 hours/week under their supervision. I wasn't interested in Family Medicine, but I still got a lot out of the experience.

Don't have your phone out during the 2 hours of mandatory classes, boo-hoo. You'll have time to crush spacebar sometime during the other 22 hours in the day.

These are so infrequent it's a moot point.

Aside from the exams during these periods, these weeks were actually welcome by me because it was like a transition point to the next block. We also got plenty of vacation time in my opinion, that I didn't find myself wanting more during RIA (essentially testing) weeks of all weeks.

You think the DO students are just all butterflies and rainbows? When I've talked to my friends in the DO program, they're shocked at the amount of free time we had/have, as well as the 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum. I don't think you understand how well we have it.

Yikes. Not only are you uninformed, your priorities are incredibly cringe. Get off SDN and lift some weights.

If any current or future students have questions about NSU MD and want my perspective looking back, feel free to ask/DM me. It was a fun ride and I'm glad to be at the station now. Peace, love, and harmony everyone.

shoutout Dr. Vassal
I was going to stay out off this because this thread has already made it all around the school (hello faculty), but "Kanye vest" is wrong about quite a few things and I'd like to point them out. Seriously I wouldn't bother listening to the M4 class who's 2 years removed from a curriculum that "keeps trying to be better."

Uhhh yeah that's not happening. Not for anyone I know. You can maybe pick 1 of 3 listed.

You can get sent to spac for some very dumb reasons. So the notion that only the bad students are being sent is also wrong.

Shows you don't have an idea of the current curriculum. They weren't talking about your elective.

My DO friends who have read this thread (it's gone that far) were "shocked" we have to come in every day. They were not envious when told about what PBL/TBL/IQ is....

Yeah you said it bud... who's reading sdn before going off to residency?

Peace, love, and harmony everyone
I can't tell if this is just a funny coincidence or what. Kanye Vest and PeteParkinson beefing on SDN. Aren't Pete Davidson and Kanye beefing in real life?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
what if we got the prank email but haven't heard anything since then? When will we get our R?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello friends! Last year I saw there was both a waitlist and an alternate list. Does anybody have more information on this? Has anyone been informed they’re already on an alternate list? Any ideas on probability of success for coming off of the waitlist at this point. Even though it’s a very expensive school for both tuition and housing, I have family in the area so it’s one of my top choices. Thanks :)

Waitlisted 5/9 but will certainly be withdrawing sometime this week.

Hope it goes to one of you who wishes to attend

Are accepted students looking for housing already?? Or when do you guys plan on starting

I started looking already, the area is expensive and the cheap options get taken fast!
Couple of my friends are graduating and their places will be vacant soon. Very close to medical school. If any one is interested you can PM me and I will share the contact information.

Nova med schools are located at Davie, One of the prime hot real estate markets. This means the rental demands are high and the rents are sky rocketing. Since I did my undergrad at Nova, I can share my 5 years of living experience on few communities that have medical students renting apartments. There could be others but I am not familiar. The ones I mentioned below have everything located closed to them.

One common denominator across communities in Davie- NO elevators! Yup be prepared for it. Also, Cable/Internet are add ons.

SUN DANCE: This is a condo community with 1 or 2 bedrooms with each having its own bathrooms. 3 floors. It has a pool/small gym and is right across medical school. You don’t need a car if you live here. From what I heard 1 bedroom rent is around $2000, 2 bedroom is around $2300. Individually owned units.

University Village: Townhome community right next to SUN DANCE. They have 3- or 4-bedroom apartments with either 2.5 or 3 bathrooms. IF you get the Master bedroom you will have your own private bath. Typically, 2 students share a bathroom while having their own bedroom. Very ideal for budget conscious ones. You don’t need a car if you live here. There is no 3rd floor here. Price range $800 - $1400 (Master bed). When 3 or 4 students share utilities/Internet this is the best deal. Individually owned units. I live here.

Royal Grand: Very similar to SUN DANCE. This is located next to University Village. They have 2- or 3-bedroom apartments. Since the apartments are spread out you could be in for long walk. So car may be needed depending upon the apartment location. From what I heard 1 bedroom rent is around $2000, 2 bedroom is around $2300. Individually owned units.

CENTRO: This is rental apartment with the highest pricing in the area. One bedroom are over $2200 and 2 bedrooms are $2500 and over. Since the apartments are spread out you could be in for long walk. So, car may be needed depending upon the apartment location. They are notorious for increasing rents every year.

Overall, I would rank some thing like this- University Village, SunDance,Royal Grand, and then CENTRO.

Anyone received an email asking if they remain interested to be on the WL?

Wish they would send a confirmation email, too much anxiety to just get a “successfully entered”

I also received the email. I just answered once and it says they received my answer but yeah I also wish there was an actual confirmation email to make sure :/

Just withdrew my A! Best of luck to you all!

Can any current students comment on what you all normally wear to class?

Can any current students comment on what you all normally wear to class?

Can any current students also comment where they lived their first year/roomed with and their experiences?

Can any current students also comment where they lived their first year/roomed with and their experiences?
Probably you missed an excellent analysis by one of the current students. Should be in this page or the earlier page

Yes and I withdrew my acceptance so good luck y’all!

In last year's thread, they mentioned something about Canvas. Anyone know if the school is doing Canvas this year? Any accepted students able to provide insight about the number of accepted vs current students/administrators on the facebook page right now? Thank you!