2021 Pain Board Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just used Board Vitals and it was more than enough!

Members don't see this ad.

Any updates on a comprehensive review book/source? I am using just board vitals. Not sure if enough. Any suggestions? What is everyone using to study.

for those of you that did boardvitals, how was your average correlating to the actual exam? my 70% correct= 24th percentile on board vitals?? must be some real geniuses doing that qbank?

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you that did boardvitals, how was your average correlating to the actual exam? my 70% correct= 24th percentile on board vitals?? must be some real geniuses doing that qbank?
I wouldn't really worry about the correlation, since it's an average of the numerous attempts made by the same people on the same questions.
I think I did the qbank 2.5 times, so that definitely skews the %iles.

As long as you are learning from each question and supplementing Knowledge gaps, you'll be fine.

I used Huntoon and Boardvitals. Did well on the exam last year. Huntoon has good explanations.

Reactions: 1 users
were there scheduled breaks or is it just 4 hours to do the 200 q's (and your breaks count in the 4 hours)? thanks in advance!

Weird test, never took a test with only 3 multiple choice options. I kept thinking the whole time my computer was messed up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure how true that is as the pass rate for people with a PMR background was 95% last year.
PMR and anesthesia take the same exam, but there is overall many more anesthesia candidates than PMR, so different pass rates. Psychiatry has an 84% pass rate if I remember correctly.

Perhaps PMR people are more competitive and brighter to get into pain than anesthesia, or perhaps more musculoskeletal diagnosis and EMG stuff is represented in the exam, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Is that 76-78% pass rate that keeps being quoted based on any available document from the ABA? The only reference I can find for it online is the Pass Machine website.

A nearly 25% fail is pretty atrocious… would make you think why they would fail so many people if it’s graded on a curve. 10-15% fail rate is reasonable in that situation.

About 50% of the practice of most pain physicians is fluoroscopic interventional (at least around me). I’m glad that aspect of practice was so adequately asked about….

Is that 76-78% pass rate that keeps being quoted based on any available document from the ABA? The only reference I can find for it online is the Pass Machine website.

A nearly 25% fail is pretty atrocious… would make you think why they would fail so many people if it’s graded on a curve. 10-15% fail rate is reasonable in that situation.

Apologies, I was off in that it has been higher in at some points up to 87%, but also still has been down to 76-77%. Still, it can be pretty darn low.

When do the results come out for this? I know it says "6 weeks" but I remember the written and oral boards had some patterns (i.e. 4th Wednesday) for when the results would come out. Anything similar for the pain boards?

🤨

Attachments

• 3BB59FF9-88CE-4EA7-9E15-B68600EE2075.jpeg
    3BB59FF9-88CE-4EA7-9E15-B68600EE2075.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 106
Guess we wait another 2 weeks

• Sad
ABA Diplomate Directory is down for maintenance! 👀

Results up. Passed, thank goodness. No more exams.

Used Board Vitals and Huntoon. Went through both twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Passed, used BV twice, Huntoon’s once, some Dannemiller lectures as well.

Last edited:
Passed

Went thru 80% of board vitals only once.

Didn’t read many of the explanations

I’m not bragging… I’m just genuinely (happily) surprised that I passed because I wasn’t expecting it

Passed. Did Board Vitals and made a study guide out of it (that I refer to even in practice now daily). Then did Huntoons and added extra factoids to my notes. Felt like there were a lot of random topics I had never even heard of before, that were in Huntoon's, and heavily tested.

2 months, listened to passmachine audio lectures in the car computing got work, that’s it, seemed to be enough.

Passed. Didn’t study. 1/3 chance of guessing right.

Board vitals 85% of the qbank no notes. 60% of huntoon. Some scattered reading from benzon (low yield). Total of two months ish? Also threw in a move, vacation, a couple weekends away. Huntoon most like the real thing.

In hindsight, going through the rheum section of First aid for step 1 would’ve been beneficial too.

Least prepared I’ve ever been.

Still P!

Passed. I used Huntoon, pass machine lectures ( used the CME money), board vitals.

I think board vitals was eccentric.

I think Huntoon was the best resource.

I genuinely think pass machine lectures helped me be a better pain doctor but don't think any of that was tested.

Those who didn't pass. Don't fret it's a weird exam. You'll pass next year.

passed too. i used BV 100% x 1 and then redid all my incorrects and marked. I wrote out the answer explanations I missed/felt I could learn from and would review it. I started BV about 3 months before (best laid plans) but was really unmotivated, then got into a serious relationship and barely studied at all, then ended up cramming the last 6 wks. I also listened to the entire DanneMiller 2015 course (felt it was useful for real life...not really helpful for the exam) and did about 10 of the "updates" lectures that came out in 2022 (didn't find that useful for the exam). If i could do it again, it sounds like my colleagues recommend Huntoon the most but I've never even seen that book.

there was a 20 min break that didn't cut into your test time in btwn the 2 sections fyi.

I passed too. Weirdest exam I have ever taken. Especially only 3 multiple choice options which sounds different than last year’s version of exam. I did Board Vitals x 3, Pass Machine questions only x1.5. I think for my learning style atleast, there was very little utility in watching pass machine videos. Board Vitals was by far best, clearest resource! Glad to be done with boards!

Last edited:
Passed

Went thru 80% of board vitals only once.

Didn’t read many of the explanations

I’m not bragging… I’m just genuinely (happily) surprised that I passed because I wasn’t expecting it
KINDA SOUNDS LIKE BRAGGING to me...But what do I know, I am just Double-Board Certified (I am def bragging) :lol::rofl:

• Haha