2021 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBMIL_YF2016

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Lupe. This is my second year time applying for the PHAP program offered by the CDC. I was accepted the first time, but unfortunately had to decline. However, I am anticipating a second acceptance which I will take.

I am posting this thread because I did not see any for the year 2021 and would like to connect with others regarding their current/past application experiences. Any information related to the application process or the program in general is welcomed! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
yay I am glad there is a thread! I am applying too, this will be my first year and I really hope to get it but I know it is competitive and I am unsure of what to expect. Good Luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I have been watching this program for about a year or two now. I wasn't able to apply last year, so I am super excited to apply this year!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yay I am glad there is a thread! I am applying too, this will be my first year and I really hope to get it but I know it is competitive and I am unsure of what to expect. Good Luck to everyone!
I would say that the first "stage" is fairly simple. It includes answering a questionnaire and uploading appropriate documentation.
The selection process though is super long, I didn't hear back until July......oof!

Hi everyone! I have been watching this program for about a year or two now. I wasn't able to apply last year, so I am super excited to apply this year!
Yay, I am glad to hear that you are applying! Let us know if you have any questions. Good luck!

Thank you! I do have one question (already lol) did you use a federal resume when you applied last time?
Haha, of course!

I actually applied last year using what you would refer to as a "civilian" resume (specific format not required) rather than a federal resume (specific format utilized). However, I would recommend that you use whatever format you feel most comfortable in as long as they highlight your qualifications.

Hey Everyone! I am looking forward to applying. It is my second time applying. The first time I applied was in 2018 during my senior year of undergrad, I didn't get in but my major was not in public health and I did not have much experience in the field. Feeling a little more confident this time around. I plan on graduating with my MPH Summer 2021. I know the application says to have the degree by July but I just called and she said as long as I have my degree before placement, I will be fine. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and ran into any complications? I know summer commencement is August 7th for me so I hope that will be alright.

Hey Everyone! I am looking forward to applying. It is my second time applying. The first time I applied was in 2018 during my senior year of undergrad, I didn't get in but my major was not in public health and I did not have much experience in the field. Feeling a little more confident this time around. I plan on graduating with my MPH Summer 2021. I know the application says to have the degree by July but I just called and she said as long as I have my degree before placement, I will be fine. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and ran into any complications? I know summer commencement is August 7th for me so I hope that will be alright.
Congrats on the MPH! I’ve never applied before, but based on the timeline on the website, you don’t start until Octoberish so I don’t think commencement would be an issue! But again I have never applied lol

Question for those that have previously made it to the 2nd and 3rd round of the application cycle! Are you able to have a preference on specific states or is it by region?

Question for those that have previously made it to the 2nd and 3rd round of the application cycle! Are you able to have a preference on specific states or is it by region?
If I recall correctly, normally you are given a preference of region during the second round (after your statement was approved). The CDC will ask if you have a preference of possible placement in a rural or urbanized area and they even offer the option of being placed in an Indian reservation amongst several other options. However, they will also ask if you are fine with being placed anywhere inside the U.S, including it territories.

So basically if you marked your home state as a preference, but also marked that you are fine with anything, then most likely you will be placed somewhere other than your state such as Guam. I know because this happened to me last year when I applied, but due to the coronavirus I was given a chance to change my placement which is something they rarely do.

*Keep in mind though that placement is based on organizational need rather than want*

The federal resume builder doesn’t really give you the option to highlight any projects or reports you’ve done. Any recommendations on how to do this? A cover letter maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you also to OP for starting this forum!

The federal resume builder doesn’t really give you the option to highlight any projects or reports you’ve done. Any recommendations on how to do this? A cover letter maybe?
What I did was in the information box put the bullet points I had on my resume then below those created a section for whatever I needed like Projects: or Honors Thesis: and Poster Sessions: and then put the title and descriptions if applicable. (not every experience had each title)

Hello all,
Second time applying. I got to the interview stage. I thought it went well but I didn't get selected. Let's see how this goes :)

Reactions: 1 user
What I did was in the information box put the bullet points I had on my resume then below those created a section for whatever I needed like Projects: or Honors Thesis: and Poster Sessions: and then put the title and descriptions if applicable. (not every experience had each title)
Thank you 😭 I will look into that!

Are you all submitting a cover letter?
I submitted one last year and didn't make it past the first round. I just submitted my application for this year and chose to not add one. I think it really up to the applicant's discretion.

Submitted my application today! Second time applying since I did not make it past the first round last year. I also noticed that the assessment questions are different from last year. I'm excited to see how this phase goes. Now the waiting game begins! Good luck everyone!

Hello everyone! This will be my second time applying! I applied a few years ago during my senior year in undergrad but did not make it to the essay portion of the application. I'm currently a second year in my MPH program, graduating in May, so hopefully, I have better luck this time around! I just submitted my application and currently working on getting my verification form sent over to my school! Good luck everyone!

Hello! I applied back in 2017 during my senior year as well! I didn't make it past the first round and I did feel like the lack of experience was a major factor. I'm graduating this spring with my MPH, so hopefully the added experience and degree looks good for both of us! :-D

Are you all submitting a cover letter?
I chose not to submit a cover letter. I don't remember if I included a cover letter when I applied in 2017, but a few federal workers told me that cover letters are rarely needed or read for federal positions.

Does the official CDC school verification form need to be submitted? Also, if I get it filled out by my school but not by the CDC/ATSDR verification should I still include it in the application?

Does the official CDC school verification form need to be submitted? Also, if I get it filled out by my school but not by the CDC/ATSDR verification should I still include it in the application?
If you are currently a student then yes. I've filled out the student portion and have emailed my form to my department's chair. The CDC portion is filled by a human resource official from the CDC office itself once you fax them the verification form I believe.

Hi everyone! I’m finishing my MPH this may and I applied yesterday. Good luck everyone!

I didn’t see an official CDC verification form. I submitted the enrollment verification form my school allows us to download from our student account. Do you think this is acceptable?

Is anyone having trouble with the CDC school verification form? When the app was first opened yesterday, I downloaded the official CDC verification form from USAgov and sent it to my ADAP. When I went to the website again to finish my application, the form seemed slightly different with a different fax number and vacancy number included. For those of you submitting the verification form, which fax number do you guys have on the form? Is it 404- or 866- ?

Is anyone having trouble with the CDC school verification form? When the app was first opened yesterday, I downloaded the official CDC verification form from USAgov and sent it to my ADAP. When I went to the website again to finish my application, the form seemed slightly different with a different fax number and vacancy number included. For those of you submitting the verification form, which fax number do you guys have on the form? Is it 404- or 866- ?
I also downloaded the form yesterday and it seems like they uploaded an older version of it by mistake. I already had the older one with a 770- number signed by my school, so I'll try and get them to sign the updated form.

I also downloaded the form yesterday and it seems like they uploaded an older version of it by mistake. I already had the older one with a 770- number signed by my school, so I'll try and get them to sign the updated form.
Thanks! That's what I was assuming too. I will attach and fax the one with a 404-.

Alright! I have a couple of questions if people don't mind me asking:
1. Is the vacancy number in the "school verification form" a standard number or an individual number? I couldn't find a standard number in the job listing
2. Do we need to fax the form or is uploading is to the USAJOBS site sufficient? The form says fax but the drop down menu on the side of document upload area says to upload it
3. Just to be clear, the assessment questionnaire follows the document uploading area? Even though the the assessment questionnaire is requested as an uploaded document? Unsure about this as I also do not see the assessment questionnaire in the job description.
Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone! This will be my second time applying! I applied a few years ago during my senior year in undergrad but did not make it to the essay portion of the application. I'm currently a second year in my MPH program, graduating in May, so hopefully, I have better luck this time around! I just submitted my application and currently working on getting my verification form sent over to my school! Good luck everyone!
yay!! Did you use the resume builder?

1. Is the vacancy number in the "school verification form" a standard number or an individual number? I couldn't find a standard number in the job listing
2. Do we need to fax the form or is uploading is to the USAJOBS site sufficient? The form says fax but the drop down menu on the side of document upload area says to upload it
3. Just to be clear, the assessment questionnaire follows the document uploading area? Even though the the assessment questionnaire is requested as an uploaded document? Unsure about this as I also do not see the assessment questionnaire in the job description.
Thank you in advance!
1. I looked at the previous year's thread and they said to put the last set of numbers in the announcement number.
2. I'm confused about that part too, but I will just both fax and upload the form just in case.
3. Yes, the assessment questionnaire will be followed after you uploaded the documents. That's what I read from the previous year's thread.

It's my first time applying, so I'm not 100% sure about my answers. Good luck!

Quick question: for those of you in the process of getting your masters do we have to attach our undergraduate transcript? I'm planning on attaching my graduate transcript with a verification form as I'm graduating with an MPH this May. Thanks in advance!

yay!! Did you use the resume builder?
Yes, I did! I didn't use the resume builder feature the last time I applied, so I created my federal resume using the resume builder a few months ago. :)

Quick question: for those of you in the process of getting your masters do we have to attach our undergraduate transcript? I'm planning on attaching my graduate transcript with a verification form as I'm graduating with an MPH this May. Thanks in advance!
I don't think you have to, but I did because I recently combined my undergrad transcript with my grad transcript and typed verification document from my ADAP for another position I applied to. I'm sure it won't harm your application if you include it!

Thanks! That's what I was assuming too. I will attach and fax the one with a 404-.
I did the 404- one. At the bottom it says it was last updated in 2019. Is this the one you all are talking about? I both uploaded and faxed it.

Thank you in advance!
When I called the office, they said it is the 8 numbers at the end of the job announcement ID # so thats what i put!

HHS-CDC-RG-21-11009923

I put the 11009923

When I called the office, they said it is the 8 numbers at the end of the job announcement ID # so thats what i put!

HHS-CDC-RG-21-11009923

I put the 11009923
That's what I put too! Just submitted my application today. Good luck, everyone!

I just added my completed verification form from the CDC website to my USAJobs application. Do we also have to physically fax the document or is it enough to upload it to the job application?

I just added my completed verification form from the CDC website to my USAJobs application. Do we also have to physically fax the document or is it enough to upload it to the job application?
I would still do it just in case.

I submitted the old CDC school verification form and already submitted my application. Should I get my university to refill out the new form and fax it over to the new number? Is there a way to go back into my already submitted application to add it in?

Hello, does anyone know where the Assessment Questionnaire is on the application? Is that something that needs to be completed and uploaded during the 2nd part "Upload Documents", or is it something that comes a little later? I've been trying to find this questionnaire that they mention but I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Hello, does anyone know where the Assessment Questionnaire is on the application? Is that something that needs to be completed and uploaded during the 2nd part "Upload Documents", or is it something that comes a little later? I've been trying to find this questionnaire that they mention but I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
after you submit everything on usa jobs, itll take you to the cdc website and thats where the questionnaire is. hope this helps!

I know I'm late, but best of luck to everyone who is in the process of submitting/has submitted their PHAP applications! :)

Reactions: 3 users
This may be a dumb question, but should I check 'yes' for the question below if I will complete my Bachelor's degree in May? I just want to make sure my application won't get thrown out if I check 'no'.

Here's the question:
"Are you a recent graduate who has, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying Associate's, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program?"

This may be a dumb question, but should I check 'yes' for the question below if I will complete my Bachelor's degree in May? I just want to make sure my application won't get thrown out if I check 'no'.

Here's the question:
"Are you a recent graduate who has, within the previous two years, completed a qualifying Associate's, Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate, professional, vocational or technical degree or certificate program?"

Not a dumb question at all, technically, you haven't graduated within the previous 2 years so it should be ‘no’. I believe they will also ask if ‘ no’ will you be receiving a degree by July ? and that's when you choose ‘yes’.

Someone correct me if I wrong!?

Last year when I did the application I was in the process of getting my master's. I didn't attach my undergraduate transcript, I just submitted verification I was currently in school plus my graduate transcript and that was fine.