2022-2023 Iowa (Carver)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe April 30th is when the Commit to Enroll option becomes available on AMCAS. This is historically the date after which most significant waitlist movement has occurred. In previous years, people have even reported the waitlist moving 10-20 spots overnight.
I'm 17 IS and nothing so far
I hope this gives you some peace: in 2021, a forum member who reported being #17 on the in-state waitlist received their acceptance on April 30th. Keep your hopes up, my friend. You are deserving of good things <3.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I believe April 30th is when the Commit to Enroll option becomes available on AMCAS. This is historically the date after which most significant waitlist movement has occurred. In previous years, people have even reported the waitlist moving 10-20 spots overnight.

I hope this gives you some peace: in 2021, a forum member who reported being #17 on the in-state waitlist received their acceptance on April 30th. Keep your hopes up, my friend. You are deserving of good things <3.
Does OOS typically see more or less movement compared to IS? Do you think IS 26 is unlikely?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does OOS typically see more or less movement compared to IS? Do you think IS 26 is unlikely?

OOS tends to be kind of all over the place, but IS is usually more consistently between 20 and 30. I wouldn’t be surprised if OOS saw more movement though, since a fair number of people may be declining UI to attend their home state’s institutions etc. and in general an OOS applicant who gets accepted to UI might have an impressive enough profile to be accepted elsewhere as OOS. I’ve only deep-dived into the IS numbers though. As for IS 26, it was 28 last year so it’s certainly possible.

All of us in this process deserve good things! It's insane the work, time, energy, and money we all put in to apply. I truly hope that Carver, and more schools across the country, start to expand their class sizes soon.

And after six months of waiting, cheers to another 6 weeks, hopefully followed by good news for a lot of us.

star wars hello GIF

To be honest I don’t know if expanding class sizes is the answer… then you’d just have even more graduates not getting placed into residencies. The issue is also the residencies available and that depends on what kind of resources and people that hospitals have to train residents. Maybe it starts with the presidents and CEOs of hospitals not putting millions into their pockets, and instead some more money going into creation of more residency spots and expansion of those programs? At that point, maybe it makes sense to be training more medical students. I just think it’s more of a cycle or flow chart and all areas need to be targeted to make the system better. Or maybe we could all become robots and then nobody needs healthcare anymore.. problem solved lol

Reactions: 1 users
To be honest I don’t know if expanding class sizes is the answer… then you’d just have even more graduates not getting placed into residencies. The issue is also the residencies available and that depends on what kind of resources and people that hospitals have to train residents. Maybe it starts with the presidents and CEOs of hospitals not putting millions into their pockets, and instead some more money going into creation of more residency spots and expansion of those programs? At that point, maybe it makes sense to be training more medical students. I just think it’s more of a cycle or flow chart and all areas need to be targeted to make the system better. Or maybe we could all become robots and then nobody needs healthcare anymore.. problem solved lol
Oh you're absolutely right, the whole system needs to be overhauled. But my smol brain can only handle so much at a time

Residency programs are also federally funded by Medicaid and Medicare, as well as by private healthcare organizations. There definitely needs to be more residency programs and positions created for the students that go unmatched, but there were also about 500 EM residency positions that were not filled this cycle, so maybe healthcare could benefit from larger sizes and more residency positions? It’s really a shame that a lot of qualified people that would be excellent doctors struggle getting into school, and then more qualified doctors can’t match into residency programs. Definitely needs a lot of systemic change to really make a difference

Reactions: 1 users
Does most waitlist movement happen around now and leading up to April 30, or does anyone know if in the past a large number come off the day before on or after April 30?

Does most waitlist movement happen around now and leading up to April 30, or does anyone know if in the past a large number come off the day before on or after April 30?

Through my obsessive deep-diving, I found that last year, a forum member reported starting in the 30s and moving down to 10s by May 6 (a week after the deadline you're talking about).

In 2021, a forum member reported moving 17 spots by/on April 30th. Another forum member reported starting in mid-20s and moving to low singles by May 25.

In 2020, on May 6 someone said they went from 27 to 14. A week later, someone said they started at 21 and were now at 2. On August 7, someone said they started at 31 and ended up at 5.

It appears that April 30th is a big day for waitlist movement, but that it also moves significantly after this date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Through my obsessive deep-diving, I found that last year, a forum member reported starting in the 30s and moving down to 10s by May 6 (a week after the deadline you're talking about).

In 2021, a forum member reported moving 17 spots by/on April 30th. Another forum member reported starting in mid-20s and moving to low singles by May 25.

In 2020, on May 6 someone said they went from 27 to 14. A week later, someone said they started at 21 and were now at 2. On August 7, someone said they started at 31 and ended up at 5.

It appears that April 30th is a big day for waitlist movement, but that it also moves significantly after this date.
Awesome thanks for this! We will see how it goes this year! I fear being at 25 OOS I have no idea but I think it’s just too far of a reach

Wouldn't OOS have more movement than IS? It makes more sense for OOS people to be giving up their seats or waitlist #s for their home state institutions and other schools than for an IS person to do so, right?

Yes, historically OOS has much more movement, 30-50, sometimes more but some years are also less and anomalous. And IS more like 20-30 but again sometimes less.

I wonder when the movement is 30-50 especially say, 50, could it likely be those who are higher on waitlist and people in 30-40 more likely giving up their waitlist spots vs say 1-20? So that May account for the high movement seen? Not so much that if the WL moves 20 spots 1-20 will get in? Maybe I’m thinking about this wrong haha

From what understand it may go up to number 50 or even 54 one year, and it’s a mix of folks ahead of you on the list dropping off the list as they CTE to another school, and people dropping who were accepted earlier as they come off another waitlist and CTE to that school.

UI still takes people off the waitlist after the CTE deadline, correct? Or is that a hard deadline regardless of admission status? I have been told by one current student that the first day of orientation is the theoretical last day that they can accept anyone off the waitlist, but I couldn't find anything on UI's website to confirm this. Can anyone else confirm?

Even if you have CTE’d somewhere you can still stay on waitlists, and could accept a waitlist position elsewhere if it opens up. Not ideal but it happens. So then a waitlist spot opens up at which ever school you had CTE’d originally. So the majority of schools continue to open up waitlist positions until the very end.

Even if you have CTE’d somewhere you can still stay on waitlists, and could accept a waitlist position elsewhere if it opens up. Not ideal but it happens. So then a waitlist spot opens up at which ever school you had CTE’d originally. So the majority of schools continue to open up waitlist positions until the very end.
I think you mean PTE. When you CTE, you are also taking yourself off any other waitlists you may be on. You can PTE and remain on waitlists though.

You are absolutely right, I’m talking about PTE. Although the other factor is that the CTE deadline is different for each school, so you can wait beyond April 30th, the first date CTE is an option, and use the last possible CTE deadline for the school you are accepted at, while waiting and hoping on your waitlists.

To answer the above question more clearly: Final commit to enroll deadline is July 17th for Carver. But if anyone is sitting without an MD acceptance elsewhere, they can still stay on Carver’s waitlist beyond that date and Carver can still pull those people off the waitlist. Some schools CTE deadlines are not till mid August. So some might still get pulled out of Carver by other waitlists turning into acceptances for them, till start of orientation, based on some other schools’ CTE deadlines. And that opens up spots for waitlisted folks at Carver.

Does anyone know when merit scholarships are sent out? Or has anyone received anything other than need-based financial aid?

Does anyone know when merit scholarships are sent out? Or has anyone received anything other than need-based financial aid?
they send them around the time when you get accepted, they might shift around if people who were awarded some withdraw their apps?

Here is some more hope for you (please note "hope" is defined as the mental peace or rather the lack thereof obtained from rigorous stalking of prior years forums)

A forum member last year on PTE date: "Just moved 6 spots between 11-3 on the IS WL."

Another forum member last year the day after PTE date: "started mid teens in state and just got in"

Another forum member 4 days after PTE date: "Accepted today!!! Started at mid 20s on IS WL"

Here is some more hope for you (please note "hope" is defined as the mental peace or rather the lack thereof obtained from rigorous stalking of prior years forums)

A forum member last year on PTE date: "Just moved 6 spots between 11-3 on the IS WL."

Another forum member last year the day after PTE date: "started mid teens in state and just got in"

Another forum member 4 days after PTE date: "Accepted today!!! Started at mid 20s on IS WL"
This was super helpful! Thank you so much!

That is helpful, for OOS is this trend much more variable? Possible to start in the 30s and get in?

That is helpful, for OOS is this trend much more variable? Possible to start in the 30s and get in?
I basically just went back to last year/2021 UI threads and went to the last page or so, around April/May and read what others were commenting regarding their status/numbers and when they said they got in. If you've got the time and are just curious, you could definitely do the same thing for OOS.

Any movement should be next Monday, right? May 1st is when CTE begins and waitlists should start moving?

Any movement should be next Monday, right? May 1st is when CTE begins and waitlists should start moving?
Yes, it seems from all previous years that the most significant movement occurs on the CTE deadline and in the week after it, but I know from at least one friend/acquaintance that she received her acceptance in late June, meaning that movement continues on over the next month too.

IS in the twenties, no movement so far. This is not a bad sign guys, people didn't really report any movement in previous years until CTE date, even in years where the waitlist moved a total of 30+ spots.

OOS Waitlist: started in top 30, currently have moved 6 spots since waitlist decisions came out, just to update

The traditional April 30 deadline this year falls on May 1. Tomorrow is the day, not today. Whenever April 30 falls on a weekend they move the CTE date to the next weekday, aka tomorrow.

Anyone else constantly refreshing the portal hoping for movement?

Reactions: 2 users
17 on IS and nothing so far. I've been refreshing here and the portal constantly just to see if anything is happening, so it's at least good to know that something is!

I know its early after the April 30 deadline, but in the years prior has there been more movement by now when significant WL offerings occurred?