*** 2022-2023 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Curious if anyone has heard anything from Einstein recently?
I havent since my interview in novemeber :(
Same. Also curious about VCU. Both Einstein and VCU let out their MD results today and I was hoping there would be MSTP info too.
I got an acceptance to VCU on 1/29 after interviewing back in september

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I havent since my interview in novemeber :(

I got an acceptance to VCU on 1/29 after interviewing back in september
Congrats! I interviewed in October. Not sure if they're pushing out As on certain dates or are letting them trickle out based on responses.

Congrats! I interviewed in October. Not sure if they're pushing out As on certain dates or are letting them trickle out based on responses.
Adding to this, Einstein is also doing the trickle based on what I heard during my interview day

Members don't see this ad :)
What is meant by the "trickle"? They hand out only so many acceptances at a time? Are they still interviewing?
Einstein basically sends out a few acceptances at a time and see what the responses are like. Everyone else is put aside or ends up on a waitlist. When some people they accept turn the offer down, they accept more people to fill the slots, and so on and so forth until they have the entering class locked down

Reactions: 1 users
Those who interviewed at Columbia, do you remember when they said they would release decisions? I kinda remember early February, but I’m not quite sure.

Those who interviewed at Columbia, do you remember when they said they would release decisions? I kinda remember early February, but I’m not quite sure.

historically seems to be early to mid Feb, also interviewed there but don’t super remember

Hey everyone! I am trying to send in updates for md/phd programs and am wondering if there's any protocol around this. Should i just upload update letters to the portal or also reach out to directors and program staff?

Hey everyone! I am trying to send in updates for md/phd programs and am wondering if there's any protocol around this. Should i just upload update letters to the portal or also reach out to directors and program staff?
I uploaded letters directly into the portal or emailed staff members if they mentioned we could email them during the interview.

If you wanted to, you can upload a letter into the portal and then confirm with a staff member that they got it

Hey guys, I'm working on a letter of intent currently and was wondering who the appropriate person is to send it to. Is it just the program director of the MD/PhD program? Also do people usually just send it in the body of the email or as a separate attachment?

I uploaded letters directly into the portal or emailed staff members if they mentioned we could email them during the interview.

If you wanted to, you can upload a letter into the portal and then confirm with a staff member that they got it
Is uploading to the portal enough? There are some schools I want to send an update to but they've been pretty bad at responding to emails throughout the cycle, even post-interview

Is uploading to the portal enough? There are some schools I want to send an update to but they've been pretty bad at responding to emails throughout the cycle, even post-interview
It should be fine, yes. I did this for Stony Brook w/o emailing the admin and I'm pretty sure they saw it. At WashU I emailed one of the MSTP directors and they said they could see it in AMP (implying a notification wasn't necessary)

Hey guys, I'm working on a letter of intent currently and was wondering who the appropriate person is to send it to. Is it just the program director of the MD/PhD program? Also do people usually just send it in the body of the email or as a separate attachment?
Depending on their general instructions (presumably post-interview), I'd send it to their administration and either the PD or whomever on the admissions committee you interviewed with. If you don't know, then I'd reach out to their program administration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on their general instructions (presumably post-interview), I'd send it to their administration and either the PD or whomever on the admissions committee you interviewed with. If you don't know, then I'd reach out to their program administration.
Thanks for the help! I interviewed with a few members of their ADCOM and they didn't provide any instructions for this... I sent them post-II thank you's recently so I also worry about being too spammy if I also send them all an LOI

Thanks for the help! I interviewed with a few members of their ADCOM and they didn't provide any instructions for this... I sent them post-II thank you's recently so I also worry about being too spammy if I also send them all an LOI
Yeah honestly I'd probably reach out to the program admin at that point; they'd either direct your LOI to the right person, put it in your file, or at least tell you who best to send it to (if it is not them themselves).

• Care
Who else is sitting in pre-interview purgatory for UC Irvine? Surely they've wrapped up their season!

Who else is sitting in pre-interview purgatory for UC Irvine? Surely they've wrapped up their season!
I just got a rejection yesterday so its probably just a matter of time before they send out all of their rejections. I don't think there are any programs still sending out interview invites at this point (but please feel free to correct me if you happen to know any programs that are still offering interviews this late in the cycle)

I just got a rejection yesterday so its probably just a matter of time before they send out all of their rejections. I don't think there are any programs still sending out interview invites at this point (but please feel free to correct me if you happen to know any programs that are still offering interviews this late in the cycle)
Sorry to hear that, I think you're likely correct vis a vis Irvine. I know only of UC Davis doing super late interviews and the calendar says UVA is doing one at the end of the month (didn't apply though so no insight as to when those invites go/went out).

Sorry to hear that, I think you're likely correct vis a vis Irvine. I know only of UC Davis doing super late interviews and the calendar says UVA is doing one at the end of the month (didn't apply though so no insight as to when those invites go/went out).
For UVA (and from personal experience), you'll likely get a text message or call from a Charlottesville number. It's their program director, Dr. Kedes to give you the II. My call was just a week before my interview (1/23), so it's somewhat up in the air (I also interviewed with someone who'd received that call in December).

Anyone have any post-interview purgatory insight into: Ohio State or Medical University of South Carolina? Ohio State said accepted students should get info in early to mid February in a recent email?

Anyone have any post-interview purgatory insight into: Ohio State or Medical University of South Carolina? Ohio State said accepted students should get info in early to mid February in a recent email?
So for MUSC, past SDN threads hint that they're normally rolling and send a lot of A's before the end of Jan, but idk for this year I haven't heard of anyone who got news from them besides the few holds they sent in December. They said in the hold emails that nothing will go out before they finish interviews in Jan, which seems to contradict what they've done in previous years. At this point they've been done for a bit over a month... Maybe they changed their admissions strat this year? Or sent the holds as a way of saying "chill out and wait on us, we're behind"?

OSU's FAQ says they hold the ranking meeting in mid-February, so I think we're nearing the end game for the waiting. Maybe. Who knows, they waitlisted someone in mid-March last cycle.

Back again to ask if anyone has heard from Michigan State yet ;-; Feels like I interviewed 10 years ago. This waiting is killer.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if Colorado accepts post II updates/ letters of interest? I saw for MD that they don't but I wasn't sure if MD PhD was different

Does anyone know if Colorado accepts post II updates/ letters of interest? I saw for MD that they don't but I wasn't sure if MD PhD was different
I have sent them a post II update directly over email, they seemed to have welcomed it!

would a letter of intent make a difference in the school's decision to waitlist vs reject you? or would it be a better strategy to send something once you are waitlisted?

anecdotal on Einstein but a friend said they received a waitlist decision...earlier than mid-November interview though

would a letter of intent make a difference in the school's decision to waitlist vs reject you? or would it be a better strategy to send something once you are waitlisted?
Also wondering this! Additionally, if sending a letter of intent to a T20 should you mention another similarly ranked acceptance in your letter? Or no?

Also wondering this! Additionally, if sending a letter of intent to a T20 should you mention another similarly ranked acceptance in your letter? Or no?
No idea for the first question but I feel like you should not mention another acceptance by name or otherwise in a letter of intent ... feels kind of tacky / might make them want to consider you less for acceptance since you already have a great option, and even though you're sending a letter of intent to them they might feel less sure of your commitment. Idk, I would just say I would 100% absolutely attend their institution if accepted and not even mention if I've been accepted elsewhere.

No idea for the first question but I feel like you should not mention another acceptance by name or otherwise in a letter of intent ... feels kind of tacky / might make them want to consider you less for acceptance since you already have a great option, and even though you're sending a letter of intent to them they might feel less sure of your commitment. Idk, I would just say I would 100% absolutely attend their institution if accepted and not even mention if I've been accepted elsewhere.
Thanks for your input! I have been hesitating for those reasons exactly but have seen elsewhere that it could be a helpful tactic, so I wanted to get more opinions

betraying WashU I see /s

but otherwise I agree with panexm22, I think that wording is the best way to say you'll very likely attend without volunteering too much information about the rest of your cycle

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
betraying WashU I see /s

but otherwise I agree with panexm22, I think that wording is the best way to say you'll very likely attend without volunteering too much information about the rest of your cycle
haha I still may end up there as of yet-- we'll see

but thanks for your input too! that's what I was leaning towards so I think that's what I'll end up doing if I send it

I received several rejections, pre-IIs and one post-II, right after I sent in my letter of update that also states my interest in the program... I guess the application process is kind of a black box to us all, but does anyone have any idea if that was purely coincidental and I'm overthinking it, or if it activates some kind of review of the applicant, and the AdCom just says nope, not this person who makes us read more stuff that is not super significant (i.e. not first/second author on C/N/S papers), or like this person actually wants us so if we can't give an acceptance, at least we can grant a mercy kill and put them out of their misery...

I received several rejections, pre-IIs and one post-II, right after I sent in my letter of update that also states my interest in the program... I guess the application process is kind of a black box to us all, but does anyone have any idea if that was purely coincidental and I'm overthinking it, or if it activates some kind of review of the applicant, and the AdCom just says nope, not this person who makes us read more stuff that is not super significant (i.e. not first/second author on C/N/S papers), or like this person actually wants us so if we can't give an acceptance, at least we can grant a mercy kill and put them out of their misery...
I feel like that if you receive an R shortly after you send in an update, there is a good chance that they might've already made their decision prior and you just happened to message them within that period when they have not gotten a chance to send out the wave of Rs. But that is just a guess

• Care
How do you guys handle the research interviewers who just wanna talk about their research and don't really leave you any time to talk?

I have had a few break out slides and start presenting and I haven't ever known if I should just shut up and let them talk, try to engage verbally and ask questions throughout, or what. It feels like I shouldn't interrupt them but how are they gonna like me if I don't say anything and they just talk the whole time?? I haven't heard back from any of the schools where I've had interviews like this so idk

How do you guys handle the research interviewers who just wanna talk about their research and don't really leave you any time to talk?

I have had a few break out slides and start presenting and I haven't ever known if I should just shut up and let them talk, try to engage verbally and ask questions throughout, or what. It feels like I shouldn't interrupt them but how are they gonna like me if I don't say anything and they just talk the whole time?? I haven't heard back from any of the schools where I've had interviews like this so idk
I have had this happen at schools I got As to and I just tried my hardest to come up with good questions that would spark a conversation about a broader scientific topic (i.e. not yes or no, or factual questions). Although one time I was so tired I just let him talk and got the A anyways. The only logic I can think of when interviewers do this is that they've already read your app and like you, so they are just trying to explain their lab to you.

Reactions: 3 users

I know that for some schools the research interviews with faculty don't count and they don't fill out a form or review about you or anything, so perhaps that is the case and they are just trying to get you more interested in them/the school.

I have had this happen at schools I got As to and I just tried my hardest to come up with good questions that would spark a conversation about a broader scientific topic (i.e. not yes or no, or factual questions). Although one time I was so tired I just let him talk and got the A anyways. The only logic I can think of when interviewers do this is that they've already read your app and like you, so they are just trying to explain their lab to you.
this is such a good idea why did i not think of this
I know that for some schools the research interviews with faculty don't count and they don't fill out a form or review about you or anything, so perhaps that is the case and they are just trying to get you more interested in them/the school.
nooo the research interviews are always my best ones :rofl:

Hello all. Is it just me or do MD/PhD students like to say “meat and potatoes” a lot? Do I need to incorporate this into my vocab

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Hello all. Is it just me or do MD/PhD students like to say “meat and potatoes” a lot? Do I need to incorporate this into my vocab
I introduce the juicy parts of my data presentation with a "Now for the meat and potatoes" slide, so I feel incredibly called out :rofl:

• Haha
i have literally never in my life said the phrase "meat and potatoes" 💀

i have literally never in my life said the phrase "meat and potatoes" 💀
You and me both Gourdy, but I’ve heard it SO much on the interview trail 🤯

• Haha