*** 2022-2023 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone heard anything from Boston University? I interviewed in October, haven't heard a peep since, and it's making me anxious (doesn't take much these days)
No. Also waiting for something from Boston

Members don't see this ad.

Do MSTP stipends get taxed? If so, is it only federal tax or is it local tax as well?

Reactions: 1 user
Do MSTP stipends get taxed? If so, is it only federal tax or is it local tax as well?
Definitely get taxed. Pretty sure it's both federal and state, similar to any grad student stipend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea on the timeline of hearing back from Chicago if we were waitlisted?

It's being held next Monday and Tuesday
Thank you!! Does anyone have an idea whether me having not heard back from them post-interview yet means that I am just straight up rejected or may still be WLd?

Thank you!! Does anyone have an idea whether me having not heard back from them post-interview yet means that I am just straight up rejected or may still be WLd?
Yeah of course! I unfortunately cannot really speak to that, but fingers crossed for you in any case

• Care
Two of the schools that I'm waitlisted at don't show up for me on my AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool. Is this a cause for concern?

Really want some expectation management during the wait game... I am waitlisted by all schools that I interviewed with this cycle, and I am wondering whether people know about the waitlist movement of Vandy, Yale, and UCSF. From what I understand, all three schools only WL and do not give rejections after II? TYIA!

Really want some expectation management during the wait game... I am waitlisted by all schools that I interviewed with this cycle, and I am wondering whether people know about the waitlist movement of Vandy, Yale, and UCSF. From what I understand, all three schools only WL and do not give rejections after II? TYIA!
From my understanding, at Vandy, they just start calling people on the waitlist after extended offers have been declined by others. I suspect movement across the board sometime after second visits at the schools + April 15th + May 1st.

I cannot speak on not receiving a rejection though, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, at Vandy, they just start calling people on the waitlist after extended offers have been declined by others. I suspect movement across the board sometime after second visits at the schools + April 15th + May 1st.

I cannot speak on not receiving a rejection though, sorry.
I really appreciate it!

Just dropping in to say good luck with the waitlist movement and hope to see you all as colleagues in the future!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Kind of a last minute question for the cohort before my first second look visit: if you met with PhD advisors/faculty of interest, what kind of questions do you ask them? I am definitely going to ask about their ongoing research outlook/mentorship style/other basic questions, but really want to see if there is something important that I'm potentially missing.

My favorite question is to ask them what makes a successful graduate student. You can learn a lot by how a PI answers that.

Reactions: 7 users
Hoping for some opinions: I was waitlisted at my top choice institution and wrote a letter of intent afterwards. I work for a T10 medical school and today my boss, a former clinic director and assoc. prof at the school, asked if I want him and the other clinicians/researchers on our team to send the program director a letter of support for my admission. He himself wrote me a letter of rec for the initial application. Is this a good idea? I don’t want to annoy the adcom but I’m willing to pull out all the stops to try to gain acceptance. I’m accepted at a few other programs but this one really is the best one for my family as a whole

Has anyone been waitlisted by MCW MSTP post interview?

hi, has anyone here gone to the second look for CU Anschutz and does not mind answering a few questions? feel free to comment or dm - any help is greatly appreciated!!

since it's been coming up in the einstein forum recently, just checking here to see if anyone here has any additional information beyond what was in the waitlist email!

to follow that, has there been any waitlist movement for any school since 4/17? Or do schools generally wait until may?

Reactions: 10 users
I got an email from a program saying they expect to start picking from their waitlist this week. But I am assuming that next week is the week for most programs.

I got a waitlist offer from a school this past week, so maybe it’s starting slow with a few schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard anything from OHSU? :unsure:
They've already made their initial offers. MD offers are going out for those applicants so if you selected that you were interested in that program as well and haven't heard back, you're probably out of luck.

Ahh okay. Curious, did you hear this from their office? I haven’t gotten any communication from them since interviewing :(
ya I got an MD offer this week and was told that i'm still in consideration for the MD/PhD program. I know from connections that the initial picks/offers have already been made.

If a school emailed me saying I'm on their waitlist months ago, but it's still not showing up on CYMS, is it safe to assume I'm rejected?

If a school emailed me saying I'm on their waitlist months ago, but it's still not showing up on CYMS, is it safe to assume I'm rejected?
I think you will only see things on CYMS if you have at least one acceptance. If you have an acceptance, your WLs will also be shown.

I think you will only see things on CYMS if you have at least one acceptance. If you have an acceptance, your WLs will also be shown.
Ah, I do hold an acceptance, and can see my other waitlisted schools on CYMS. I had to email the school to ask about the status of my application (interviewed last fall) so it probably means they didn’t seriously consider me 🥲 but thank you!

Ah, I do hold an acceptance, and can see my other waitlisted schools on CYMS. I had to email the school to ask about the status of my application (interviewed last fall) so it probably means they didn’t seriously consider me 🥲 but thank you!
aw, sounds like a glitch maybe ask again?

I emailed a school after noticing the same thing and they resolved the issue and assured me I was still on their waitlist / in consideration. So I think an email is a good place to start.

Reactions: 1 users
This may be a stupid question, but I know by tomorrow we need to narrow down our acceptances to 1, withdraw from all other programs, and choose "plan to enroll" for the acceptance we are keeping...but is there a specific deadline by which we need to select "commit to enroll" for that same acceptance, or does it vary by school?

This may be a stupid question, but I know by tomorrow we need to narrow down our acceptances to 1, withdraw from all other programs, and choose "plan to enroll" for the acceptance we are keeping...but is there a specific deadline by which we need to select "commit to enroll" for that same acceptance, or does it vary by school?
It does vary so check your emails from the schools you are considering and their webpage as well.

I have a question for the 2023-2024 application cycle, but don't see a thread for that yet, so posting here: if I applied to a medical school in the past as an MD only applicant but will be applying to it this cycle as an MD/PhD applicant do I count as a reapplicant and should I indicate that I have applied to the medical school in question before on AMCAS?

I have a question for the 2023-2024 application cycle, but don't see a thread for that yet, so posting here: if I applied to a medical school in the past as an MD only applicant but will be applying to it this cycle as an MD/PhD applicant do I count as a reapplicant and should I indicate that I have applied to the medical school in question before on AMCAS?
I believe you do count as a reapplicant, at least that's what I selected.

For people on waitlists what happens if the classes are full? i.e. all current people with acceptances have selected commit to enroll and I am basically waiting for an A in vain. Do school usually notify or reject the remaining waitlisted applicants when they have a class full of accepted students who have committed, or would I have to reach out to find this info out?

Trying to gauge when to switch from hoping to prepping reapp.

Reactions: 2 users
For people on waitlists what happens if the classes are full? i.e. all current people with acceptances have selected commit to enroll and I am basically waiting for an A in vain. Do school usually notify or reject the remaining waitlisted applicants when they have a class full of accepted students who have committed, or would I have to reach out to find this info out?

Trying to gauge when to switch from hoping to prepping reapp.
I think this is probably school dependent, so its probably worth reaching out to adcom's at the school and reaffirming your interest/asking about waitlist movement

Does anyone know the policy WRT taking out federal loans as an MSTP student? Are you even able to?