2023-2024 Northeast Ohio (NEOMED)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
For those wondering about the AL, they have started moving people. Got my A yesterday after getting placed on AL last week. Keep checking your email!

Congrats !!
Do you mind sharing your stats and when was your interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats !!
Do you mind sharing your stats and when was your interview?
IS, submitted primary and secondary on deadlines for submission, II 12/14, interview 2/29, AL placement on 3/20, A 3/25. DM if you want any other stats!

Will they accept OOS off that AL? Sorry for asking stupid question but I wanted to ask you guys

Wake up babe another day of constant email refreshes and SDN checks

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Day 300 manifesting NEOMED will take us to the promised land

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully they’ll start picking up their waitlist movement before the 15th, although at the moment it doesn’t seem likely

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Hopefully they’ll start picking up their waitlist movement before the 15th, although at the moment it doesn’t seem likely
They should call us soon since many students are going to commit to other schools from what I see on SDN . Friends , please share w us as soon as you get off the AL .

Another week of praying NEOMED will take us to the promised land

Can any current students/prospective students comment on the research opportunities at NEOMED? I quickly scanned the website and saw only a handful of basic science and translational labs. I know NEOMED focuses more on community/rural health, but would there be any outside opportunities to research at a different institution, namely CWRU? I'm sitting on 3 WL (including here) and the other 2 are research-heavy schools and probably fit better with my career goals. I'm just worried if I only get into NEOMED, I might lose the opportunity to participate in research than if I were to get into the other 2.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m assuming this went out to the masses on the AL but figured I’d post here

Got me again with starting an email with “congratulations”

Congratulations again on your candidacy for medical school reaching alternate status with us at Northeast Ohio Medical University’s College of Medicine. You may wonder why we use the term "congratulations" when your final goal is obviously an acceptance offer. But we want to assure you that congratulations are in order - and why now is the time to start planning your decision should that acceptance come quickly.

Reactions: 8 users
I am so tempted to call the admissions office and ask for the chance of getting accepted to NEOMED. I don't think the 99% IS acceptance from admit.org is correct

Congratulations again on your candidacy for medical school reaching alternate status with us at Northeast Ohio Medical University’s College of Medicine. You may wonder why we use the term "congratulations" when your final goal is obviously an acceptance offer. But we want to assure you that congratulations are in order - and why now is the time to start planning your decision should that acceptance come quickly.

got it

I got this as well. They want to "assure us that congratulations are in order" It seems like they are quite optimistic that we will get an offer. Just a strange way to word an email especially if it went out to everyone on the AL

Got it too! I think this is a pre-acceptance email.

I am so tempted to call the admissions office and ask for the chance of getting accepted to NEOMED. I don't think the 99% IS acceptance from admit.org is correct
If you do can u just ask them my chances to pls? Thanks

• Haha
I got this as well. They want to "assure us that congratulations are in order" It seems like they are quite optimistic that we will get an offer. Just a strange way to word an email especially if it went out to everyone on the AL
Wish they would just call us or email an acceptance already. I sound like a broken tape recorder.

I too got this as well. Hope all gets A as well

The regular decision plan alternate list is an advanced candidacy stage that originates from about 5,000 primary applications. Only the best candidates among several thousand secondary applications are invited to interview. All candidates reaching the alternate list are the result of admission committee action to approve alternate list status.

Each spring in April and May, our alternate list group changes very rapidly as great candidates for medical school receive acceptances from medical schools from across the country - including the candidates we accept at NEOMED. When acceptance offers come, they arrive quickly. The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols allow candidates between two weeks to only two days to respond to acceptance offers depending upon the time of year. Knowing whether you will accept an offer from a medical school in advance is a pretty good strategy. We have two ways to help you do that.

NEOMED is offering two in person visit opportunities on the NEOMED campus just for alternate list candidates on April 26th and May 17th. We will review the essential elements of our Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) program, host a current student panel for you to meet, provide a tour of the NEOMED campus, and preview some opportunities for candidates in search of gap year experiences paired with an offer of early assurance to the NEOMED M.D. program in 2025. We also offer a later virtual program in June for any late acceptances.

Look for more information about the NEOMED Transformational Year Early Assurance Plan gap-year masters and M.D. early assurance for 2025 coming soon via email this month.

Does the Transformational Year Early Assurance Plan gap year thing mean some of us will be offered that as opposed to an Actual Acceptance?

The regular decision plan alternate list is an advanced candidacy stage that originates from about 5,000 primary applications. Only the best candidates among several thousand secondary applications are invited to interview. All candidates reaching the alternate list are the result of admission committee action to approve alternate list status.

Each spring in April and May, our alternate list group changes very rapidly as great candidates for medical school receive acceptances from medical schools from across the country - including the candidates we accept at NEOMED. When acceptance offers come, they arrive quickly. The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols allow candidates between two weeks to only two days to respond to acceptance offers depending upon the time of year. Knowing whether you will accept an offer from a medical school in advance is a pretty good strategy. We have two ways to help you do that.

NEOMED is offering two in person visit opportunities on the NEOMED campus just for alternate list candidates on April 26th and May 17th. We will review the essential elements of our Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) program, host a current student panel for you to meet, provide a tour of the NEOMED campus, and preview some opportunities for candidates in search of gap year experiences paired with an offer of early assurance to the NEOMED M.D. program in 2025. We also offer a later virtual program in June for any late acceptances.

Look for more information about the NEOMED Transformational Year Early Assurance Plan gap-year masters and M.D. early assurance for 2025 coming soon via email this month.

Does the Transformational Year Early Assurance Plan gap year thing mean some of us will be offered that as opposed to an Actual Acceptance?
People who don’t get accepted have the option to do the gap year program

why would they NOT choose us on this AL and offer that gap year program?

ok but wasnt there talk of them exhausting the waitlist?
As a current student, it seems very unlikely that they would exhaust the entire waitlist given how long it typically is. It is more reasonable to assume that those on the alternate list will be given the opportunity to apply for one of these transformational gap year programs and if you get accepted to one of those, you have the possibility of also being given early assurance through the college of medicine for the following year. (not guaranteed though)

Can any current students/prospective students comment on the research opportunities at NEOMED? I quickly scanned the website and saw only a handful of basic science and translational labs. I know NEOMED focuses more on community/rural health, but would there be any outside opportunities to research at a different institution, namely CWRU? I'm sitting on 3 WL (including here) and the other 2 are research-heavy schools and probably fit better with my career goals. I'm just worried if I only get into NEOMED, I might lose the opportunity to participate in research than if I were to get into the other 2.
Hey current 2nd year medical student here. There are absolutely possibilities to do research outside of NEOMED at other institutions. Especially, UH/Case Western which we recently extended our affiliation agreement with and are sending more and more students there for 3rd year rotations there. We also are the medical school affiliate for Cleveland Clinic Akron General, Akron Children's Hospital, Summa Health, and Aultman hospital which has every residency specialty available which means you can get plugged into any specialty you're interested and do some research in that specialty. Besides, I have classmates who are doing research at the Cleveland Clinic and at Harvard for Cardiothoracic surgery. Obviously we do not have as many basic science labs as a larger program but you will not have any shortage of research opportunities here.

Oh also NEOMED is currently launching their own medical journal that will be available for students and affiliates to publish to which is a great research for students who are looking to publish their own research as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Can any current students comment on the Step 1 pass rate from the previous year (2023)? I saw that the Step 1 pass rate from 2022 was 84% which is a downward trend and have heard a rumor that almost 1/3 of students failed Step 1 in 2023. Obviously just a rumor and don't want to stir the pot but just curious as my interview is next week!
Current NEOMED Student, this isn't true. I think the confusion is from 1/3 of students failing a CBSE (Benchmark Exam to show how likely you are to pass Step 1) which caused a little bit of a panic among students and administrators. However most students don't end up taking step until May or June so they had plenty of time to catch up. I think the final number for the class of 2025 was a 97% pass rate. I will say though the class of 2024 only 85% of people passed which was a national trend across schools where the step 1 pass rates were down across the board. I think it going to P/F caused a bunch of people to underestimate the exam.

Does anyone know if NEOMED provides merit scholarship offers? And would these come out before May?

Does anyone know if NEOMED provides merit scholarship offers? And would these come out before May?
NEOMED offers a few:

Details seem light on most of them so you would probably have to ask financial aid if they can give you more insight.

NEOMED offers a few:

Details seem light on most of them so you would probably have to ask financial aid if they can give you more insight.
I’d second reaching out - they were very helpful with some general questions I had earlier on in the cycle!

why would they NOT choose us on this AL and offer that gap year program?

Because there’s only roughly 200 seats available (~120-150 “actual” RD seats) for ~600 people on the waitlist. A case of limited space.

Because there’s only roughly 200 seats available (~120-150 “actual” RD seats) for ~600 people on the waitlist. A case of limited space.
There was a lot of talk about them exhausting the AL this year. Admissions sent emails for PRE-II AL in case their numbers are wrong. Many accepted students may be choosing other schools.

There was a lot of talk about them exhausting the AL this year. Admissions sent emails for PRE-II AL in case their numbers are wrong. Many accepted students may be choosing other schools.
I would certainly hope that they’d offer spots to those already on the AL rather than turning to the new pre-II crowd. But who knows - nothing with admissions here seems that straightforward.

I am currently an M1 at NEOMED (i can't change my username) and I have to warn every woman of color not to come here if you have the option. Multiple deans have violated my title IX rights with no consequence. I have been put in unsafe situations with a student who borderline sexually assaulted me. That student is facing zero reprecussions and I was told i was unprofessional for reporting that he did anything to me and I almost recieved a permanent note on my file stating I am unprofessional because of him. I want it known I reported it to a mandated reporter and the title IX office properly, I did not do so in an unprofessional manner. The official instagram posted a photo of me that shows more than a bikini that I did not consent to and see no issue in the unprofessional nature of such a post. Every student who has been asked to leave for academic reasons in my class is a woman of color, one of whom passed each class above the 70% cutoff. If you are a woman of color I promise you neomed is not a safe school they will try their hardest to kick you out because they do not want people like us in medicine

I would certainly hope that they’d offer spots to those already on the AL rather than turning to the new pre-II crowd. But who knows - nothing with admissions here seems that straightforward.
Yeah I am sure they will reach out to us first. They sent similar congratulations email last year too. It's their yearly procedure, however, they have never sent a pre-II AL email in the past. That's why I hope they will exhaust the AL for us who interviewed.

Is anyone going to visit the campus (the one for AL people visit days?). Thinking of going......

Yeah I am sure they will reach out to us first. They sent similar congratulations email last year too. It's their yearly procedure, however, they have never sent a pre-II AL email in the past. That's why I hope they will exhaust the AL for us who interviewed.

Is anyone going to visit the campus (the one for AL people visit days?). Thinking of going......
I might go but they make it really clear that whether u choose to go or not it will not impact your position on the alternate list.

I might go but they make it really clear that whether u choose to go or not it will not impact your position on the alternate list.
Yeah it doesn’t hurt to go . But if we show interest it might help?

Talk from who, though? Is this an official, verified insider source or some random hearsay from blogs?

Also, if you check AAMC updated WL protocols for 2025, it looks like NEOMED has ~800 candidates on AL, with about 280 slots expected for movement. But even then, there is an astronomically minute chance that all 800 candidates will eventually get an offer. It’s just not logically possible, unless we assume that ALL candidates who interviewed for NEOMED have AT LEAST one other acceptance to ANOTHER US MD school that they are willing to attend OVER NEOMED, which, for all practical purposes, is impossible.

I don’t want to sound like a killjoy, but we shouldn’t be disseminating rumors that give false hope to applicants, especially when considering a process as stressful as the AMCAS cycle.

Reactions: 2 users