2028 Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I understand your frustration completely. It’s taken me 4 tries to get it, and this year I only bothered applying to one school because I was tired of forking out hundreds of dollars to be rejected. I’m sending you some good vibes.

The only reason why I’ve kept going and applying every year is because when I was either a sophomore or junior in undergrad (nearly 4 or 5 years ago!) a veterinarian gave a lecture during a pre-vet club meeting about starting her own clinic and her journey to vet school. She said this so nonchalantly, but I’ll never forget her response to interviewers asking her what she would do if she didn’t get in: “Apply again and you’ll see me next year, and the next year, and the next until I get in.” I took these words to heart and decided that I would keep going until I get in. I’ve been frustrated, I’ve cried, I’ve vented to friends and family (and even the vets I work with).

There’s nothing wrong with taking a year off to just not deal with the stress of applications, there’s nothing wrong with being frustrated, and there’s nothing wrong with picking yourself up and trying again until you get in. Good luck in your future endeavors!
thank you for your reply - it means A LOT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
At the end of the day I want you to know it's not about YOU. That was a hard truth I had to come to terms with. It is easy to see who we are as people, to know all the experiences and things we have been through and just not understand how we are having such a hard time getting in etc. But ultimately I had to come to terms with the reality that it's not about us personally. This doesn't detract from who we are and how much we belong in the field or how great of an applicant we are. I've seen people I would consider perfect applicants get denied, etc.

There is overall a large systemic issue in vet med across a variety of things, shortage of support staff or lack of livable wages for support staff being the biggest piece because vets cannot vet without support staff. It doesn't matter if we need more vets when we cannot support the staff required to bring on an additional vet. Amongst the debt crisis, mental health crisis and other very large prevalent veterinary issues, it is not an easy path to walk. ♥️ There are unfortunately no easy answers to this problem. What helped me a bit was knowing that my application probably wasn't landing on the same person's desk every time I applied. Especially this year I have met some incredibly interviewers that completely understood where I was coming from because they walked the same path as me and then I also met some interviewers who I didn't vibe with because maybe they don't see my story the same way I do.

If you do ever want to chat about your application specifics and pick my brain on the schools I applied to and which I regret feel free! I really spent a lot of time trying to tailor my application this year. And finally, if you do choose to not apply again, please don't feel bad about it!! Going through multiple application cycles is a testament to how dedicated you are, how strong you are to do it!!! I believe in you and where ever your path leads you!
thank you 💛@DogtorAsh

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Literally just got off a Zoom call for a file review. It was both reassuring and frustrating o_O. The file review itself was great. The reviewer was very sweet and took the time to explain everything. What I found reassuring about my review was that there is hardly anything about my application that needs to be changed. My GPA is far above the average for the applicant pool, she said nothing about me not having enough hours and instead said they liked how my hours are varied throughout different areas of vet med. My essay responses were great and there were no negative notes there; the same thing was said concerning my personal statement. She said the only place I could have put more down is volunteer hours outside of vet med. That's it. This is frustrating because I have those hours I just didn't think schools cared if it wasn't animal or vet-related volunteering. The reviewer was very honest and told me that in all honesty most of it was a matter of luck and out of the realm of my control (the size of the applicant pool being the deciding factor here). She was shocked when I told her I have had 5 rejections so far but wished me luck with my (essentially last chance here) in-state interview. I know most schools don't offer file review so I'm glad that I was able to have one! If I don't get in this cycle I'll make sure to put down those volunteer hours and hope for better luck next year...

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Literally just got off a Zoom call for a file review. It was both reassuring and frustrating o_O. The file review itself was great. The reviewer was very sweet and took the time to explain everything. What I found reassuring about my review was that there is hardly anything about my application that needs to be changed. My GPA is far above the average for the applicant pool, she said nothing about me not having enough hours and instead said they liked how my hours are varied throughout different areas of vet med. My essay responses were great and there were no negative notes there; the same thing was said concerning my personal statement. She said the only place I could have put more down is volunteer hours outside of vet med. That's it. This is frustrating because I have those hours I just didn't think schools cared if it wasn't animal or vet-related volunteering. The reviewer was very honest and told me that in all honesty most of it was a matter of luck and out of the realm of my control (the size of the applicant pool being the deciding factor here). She was shocked when I told her I have had 5 rejections so far but wished me luck with my (essentially last chance here) in-state interview. I know most schools don't offer file review so I'm glad that I was able to have one! If I don't get in this cycle I'll make sure to put down those volunteer hours and hope for better luck next year...
That is reassuring and also disheartening. It is disheartening to know how little control you had over getting in because of how much you did correctly. I think it is majorly reassuring though because if you did have to reapply (crossing my fingers for you that you don't), it means you should have a really good chance next year right? Because you can make the changes in your application (adding the hours you left out) and if you spend the year gaining more veterinary experience (working full time adds hours FAST) you should be in a really good position for next year? Try not to overthink things, advice Im trying to give myself lol. Goodluck

That is reassuring and also disheartening. It is disheartening to know how little control you had over getting in because of how much you did correctly. I think it is majorly reassuring though because if you did have to reapply (crossing my fingers for you that you don't), it means you should have a really good chance next year right? Because you can make the changes in your application (adding the hours you left out) and if you spend the year gaining more veterinary experience (working full time adds hours FAST) you should be in a really good position for next year? Try not to overthink things, advice Im trying to give myself lol. Goodluck

Thank you! This is how I’m trying to think about it too. She said one other thing is I had no research and that would have really set me apart. She said this cycle they are decreasing the points for research since not every school lets students get any research hours which is helpful.

Thank you! This is how I’m trying to think about it too. She said one other thing is I had no research and that would have really set me apart. She said this cycle they are decreasing the points for research since not every school lets students get any research hours which is helpful.
I have several hours of research and research-related experience which I'm not sure has helped ngl :/ hoping they do for the few chances I have left

I have several hours of research and research-related experience which I'm not sure has helped ngl :/ hoping they do for the few chances I have left

I’m sure they do help! In all honesty due to the sheer number of applicants if there isn’t something glaringly wrong with your application like failing a prerequisite or something it’s a matter splitting hairs and anything to set you apart looks great!

Same lol I have research that I performed within a veterinary school and I’m on my third app cycle and my research experience has never been asked about or mentioned 🤷🏻‍♀️

One thing I am really struggling with is that I want to start a family, have kids, all that jazz. Waiting year after year for an acceptance and then 4 more years after to even begin a career is a daunting thought. I know that is the reality of being in a professional school, but I just wish I were one of those people who could've gotten in right away. I haven't talked to anyone else who shares this worry, so maybe I'm just being dramatic. But as I get older it becomes more and more prevalent.

Reactions: 5 users
One thing I am really struggling with is that I want to start a family, have kids, all that jazz. Waiting year after year for an acceptance and then 4 more years after to even begin a career is a daunting thought. I know that is the reality of being in a professional school, but I just wish I were one of those people who could've gotten in right away. I haven't talked to anyone else who shares this worry, so maybe I'm just being dramatic. But as I get older it becomes more and more prevalent.
This is me. I’m getting married to my partner of 4.5 years this summer, who already has his Masters degree and a successful teaching career. He is turning 30 this month and I’m turning 26 this year. We can’t have kids or buy a house until I finish school. Every cycle (this was my third) that I don’t get accepted is pushing back those things by another year. I know I’m still young currently, but I’m not sure I can justify waiting around another year on an application and then 4 years of school at this point. I was just waitlisted today by my IS school for the second year after what I felt was a great interview. It’s time for me to decide if I should just pursue a Masters and another career so I can move forward in life or keep chasing my lifelong dream. My fiancé is very supportive of me either way but it is hard. You are not alone and it is honestly difficult to read people who keep saying if you REALLY want it keep trying! Because I don’t want to live half of my life in limbo waiting to start my career, even if it is my dream and passion 😢

• Care
I have been in this same boat too. I don’t think you’re being dramatic. I am personally in a very serious relationship right now and we want kids eventually. That being said, the idea of starting to have kids after turning 30 is a scary idea physically because my family already has a history with reproductive issues (which will become more of a concern with age). And that’s not even addressing the financial demands that come with being behind in earning a decent income… And if we don’t get in right away, then it means potentially having to get a masters which will tack on even more years before even starting vet school. Yes, it’s par for the course I suppose… but I feel like as I get older, I see how important having a family and a healthy personal life is for me. Being a veterinarian is a massively important life goal for me… but I think it’s so easy to under consider other areas of our lives in the process and it only becomes more real with time.
I’m not sure what the remedy is. All I can say is, you’re not alone in that concern. Professional school, at the end of the day, can really push life back in numerous ways. I think it’s a true balancing act and just knowing who we are on a deep level and what is fundamentally important to us. The veterinary field and my family life are both fundamentally important to me personally, and I want to set my self up for success in both areas of my life… but it’s hard to do when there are so many other factors at play.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I'm 31 on my 3rd application cycle. I feel this hard. We have been hedging our bets trying for a baby and applying to vet school for 2 years with no luck on either front. 😕 I do have a son from before (not planned) so at least there is that. But my husband has no children of his own.

• Care
When I first started applying, I was going to have all my own kids by 30. My parents were 20 and 23 when I was born and I liked having young parents.

However, I was wait listed several years in a row. When I started applying, I had a limit of 3 application cycles cause there were other things I wanted from life such as marriage and kids. I got into 1 school that year, then repeated 1st year. So I graduated at 29 and had my son at 30. We will not have another kiddo.

I'm definitely in the camp of live your life *regardless* of where you're at in vet med, because ultimately vet med should not be the most important part of your life to begin with. I didn't come to that personal realization until after my multiple rejections. I also now advocate for people to have backup plans since not having one screwed me for years (and even almost while I was in vet school). If you have kids in vet school, your spouse needs to be prepared to be the primary caregiver for years. So it's a dual decision. It's not something my husband could have done for sure. Having a kid in vet school was never an option for me because of this. But plenty in my class made it work.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I was rejected by two schools after the interview and I makes me think how should I be handling the interviews next time?
Does anyone have tips/resources on interviewing? I really want to improve on this:,)

• Care
Yup so I was rejected lol. Going to get a master’s (probably) and try again in a few years after I get more experience. I wonder what my OSU file review will say. My Virginia Maryland one basically said it was a matter of luck so who knows. It happens I guess

• Care
  • Sad
Yup so I was rejected lol. Going to get a master’s (probably) and try again in a few years after I get more experience. I wonder what my OSU file review will say. My Virginia Maryland one basically said it was a matter of luck so who knows. It happens I guess
Sorry to hear! Matter of luck statements are so frustrating. Where are you headed for Masters? I am thinking similarly.....

Sorry to hear! Matter of luck statements are so frustrating. Where are you headed for Masters? I am thinking similarly.....

OSU! I really love their masters of veterinary public health program. I learned about it freshman year and I’m super excited about it!

Hello!
I was rejected by two schools after the interview and I makes me think how should I be handling the interviews next time?
Does anyone have tips/resources on interviewing? I really want to improve on this:,)
Hi! I literally saw this comment a while ago and then completely forgot I wanted to respond!
So for me, I like to view interviewing as a game, it really helps to take the stress out of it for me and helps me calm down. The first thing I would do is brush up on the STAR method if you're unfamiliar with it! STAR Method

Second is I would find a series of "behavioral questions" and start either bullet pointing or cataloguing some sort of list of experiences or situations you would bring up for a given question. (I'm attaching the handout UMN gave us because it was really helpful when I prepped for their interview). If you are able to at least have a bullet pointed list of experiences that you would talk about for any given situation that should help with the "scrambling" I think sometimes happens when you are asked a question you're not expecting/didn't prepare for. Most situations we have experienced can work for multiple situations so if we've already compiled a mental or physical list of scenarios and run through how we would discuss them in the STAR method, it should be much easier to pull one of them if you get thrown a very random question. (But it happens!! Trust me, I had 5 interviews this cycle and I'm definitely not a stranger to interviewing in general and there was still a question or two that threw me and I had to scramble for a good answer! A few awkward answers/pauses isn't going to kill your interview!)

For example I talked about doing 2 masters programs and completely funding them myself by working 2 jobs in the context of questions that were asking a variety of things like:
- how do you think you can handle the debt of vet school
- what makes you think you are prepared for the rigor of vet school
- are you organized?
etc

I of course didn't talk about this specific singular example for every question, but I am trying to highlight that having a mental bank of experiences that would fit multiple things can help you prepare pretty well for most interviews.

Another resource I would use is the student doctor network question banks for certain schools, I know some schools block theirs but I used it for some of the schools I got interviews with and it helped me kind of see the flow of their questions.

Third I would make sure you have a "spiel" or "blurb" for yourself down-pat. I practiced my blurb for myself multiple times and made sure I was hitting all the points I wanted to hit and also remaining succinct. Some of the things that were important to me mentioning was that I was a multiple times reapplicant and what I had been doing during this time and how I had improved my application/why I feel I am the best candidate now. Most of the behavioral interview schools had you basically introduce yourself at the beginning of every interview, and as someone who kind of hates doing that, it was paramount I have a better "spiel" about myself ready to go.

Practice!!! I know this can be hard but ask someone you are completelyyyyy unfamiliar with, but I find it hard to truly get in the mindset for practice unless the person I'm talking to is unfamiliar with me. I think the feedback becomes more genuine in that case too as I have tried to practice with friends and family before or even superiors at work and it doesn't seem to help me as much as a completely unknown third party. You can also go into a zoom room by yourself and practice just speaking and looking at the camera versus at your picture. Another form of practice for me was just applying to jobs. During this application cycle I was also trying to go for a promotion at my work and that helped because I was having to use my interview skills in actual practice despite it not being for vet school specifically. (At the end of the day, all interviews are just interviews, whatever they're actually for, a lot of the questions overlapped and I'm not even currently working in the vet field).

For MMI interviews these are even more of a talent I would say. I would also look up example questions online that you can run through and I would try to always look at both sides of the problem/situation. In my opinion MMI interviews are intending to ask you difficult questions that are likely not going to have a "right" answer. They just want to see how you problem solve. I think it has a lot of similarities to that show "what would you do?". In my opinion I also think they aren't looking for a strong opinion on either side of the situation, but an ability to use empathy and situational judgement to help untangle a complex problem.

The classic one I think of in life is "what would you do if you saw someone stealing food? would it change how you would respond if it was someone stealing food for their starving family?" I'd practice some of these scenarios looking at all angles/view points. There are going to be a variety of feelings on subjects like these from stealing is always wrong to stealing is wrong unless given these circumstances. I believe interviewers really want to test how well you see and understand the gray area in life!

Lastly, I am a firm believer that all of us have been prepping for years to get to this point. I know it's easier said than done, but reminding myself before every interview that this was what I was meant to do really helped me calm down. I always told myself "what could they possible ask that I haven't prepared for?"--and there was literally maybe 1 to 2 questions that I came out of the interviews being like....oof that was a rough answer.

I also just wanted to end, make sure to prepare a list of questions you want to ask the school, I generally struggled with this during my first interview because I did a lot of pre-research and because of that I didn't know what to say, but getting a set list of: "what is your favorite thing about XYZ school? what do you love about the area? what do you feel sets this school apart? How do you feel the curriculum prepares students for their first job right after graduation?" etc.

Anywaysssss, sorry that was so long! I hope any of that helps and if you ever want to message me privately to talk more I'm always down! :) ♥️

EDITING TO ADD: I forgot to mention this, but as cliche as it sounds BE YOURSELF!! I think from a lot of self-reflection on my past applications I was trying so hard to be this "model applicant" be everything they were looking for, etc. In reality, they want to see YOU. These interviews went so differently because I truly walked in there as ME. I cracked jokes when it felt appropriate and genuinely listened to the interviewers and asked them questions when I had them. It helped keep a very conversational vibe and I felt so good after pretty much all my interviews. Also I was just straight up honest. Was there a semester or two I struggled? Yeah sure, let me tell you why and also how I have done XYZ now to prove that was then and this is me now. Did I get an F in one course? Yes, but here is why I believe the professor and myself were incompatible and how I also learned I need to ask for help (which can be a hard thing to do). I even talked about how I felt I was sooooo prepared for vet school when I left undergrad and since then I have realized I was fooling myself. I even talked about past failures or mistakes and what that taught me, how that shaped me into the person I am and how I hope to help those around me because of what I learned.

I wish everyone the best of luck and my inbox is always open!

Attachments

• Behavioral Interview Handout.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi! I literally saw this comment a while ago and then completely forgot I wanted to respond!
So for me, I like to view interviewing as a game, it really helps to take the stress out of it for me and helps me calm down. The first thing I would do is brush up on the STAR method if you're unfamiliar with it! STAR Method

Second is I would find a series of "behavioral questions" and start either bullet pointing or cataloguing some sort of list of experiences or situations you would bring up for a given question. (I'm attaching the handout UMN gave us because it was really helpful when I prepped for their interview). If you are able to at least have a bullet pointed list of experiences that you would talk about for any given situation that should help with the "scrambling" I think sometimes happens when you are asked a question you're not expecting/didn't prepare for. Most situations we have experienced can work for multiple situations so if we've already compiled a mental or physical list of scenarios and run through how we would discuss them in the STAR method, it should be much easier to pull one of them if you get thrown a very random question. (But it happens!! Trust me, I had 5 interviews this cycle and I'm definitely not a stranger to interviewing in general and there was still a question or two that threw me and I had to scramble for a good answer! A few awkward answers/pauses isn't going to kill your interview!)

For example I talked about doing 2 masters programs and completely funding them myself by working 2 jobs in the context of questions that were asking a variety of things like:
- how do you think you can handle the debt of vet school
- what makes you think you are prepared for the rigor of vet school
- are you organized?
etc

I of course didn't talk about this specific singular example for every question, but I am trying to highlight that having a mental bank of experiences that would fit multiple things can help you prepare pretty well for most interviews.

Another resource I would use is the student doctor network question banks for certain schools, I know some schools block theirs but I used it for some of the schools I got interviews with and it helped me kind of see the flow of their questions.

Third I would make sure you have a "spiel" or "blurb" for yourself down-pat. I practiced my blurb for myself multiple times and made sure I was hitting all the points I wanted to hit and also remaining succinct. Some of the things that were important to me mentioning was that I was a multiple times reapplicant and what I had been doing during this time and how I had improved my application/why I feel I am the best candidate now. Most of the behavioral interview schools had you basically introduce yourself at the beginning of every interview, and as someone who kind of hates doing that, it was paramount I have a better "spiel" about myself ready to go.

Practice!!! I know this can be hard but ask someone you are completelyyyyy unfamiliar with, but I find it hard to truly get in the mindset for practice unless the person I'm talking to is unfamiliar with me. I think the feedback becomes more genuine in that case too as I have tried to practice with friends and family before or even superiors at work and it doesn't seem to help me as much as a completely unknown third party. You can also go into a zoom room by yourself and practice just speaking and looking at the camera versus at your picture. Another form of practice for me was just applying to jobs. During this application cycle I was also trying to go for a promotion at my work and that helped because I was having to use my interview skills in actual practice despite it not being for vet school specifically. (At the end of the day, all interviews are just interviews, whatever they're actually for, a lot of the questions overlapped and I'm not even currently working in the vet field).

For MMI interviews these are even more of a talent I would say. I would also look up example questions online that you can run through and I would try to always look at both sides of the problem/situation. In my opinion MMI interviews are intending to ask you difficult questions that are likely not going to have a "right" answer. They just want to see how you problem solve. I think it has a lot of similarities to that show "what would you do?". In my opinion I also think they aren't looking for a strong opinion on either side of the situation, but an ability to use empathy and situational judgement to help untangle a complex problem.

The classic one I think of in life is "what would you do if you saw someone stealing food? would it change how you would respond if it was someone stealing food for their starving family?" I'd practice some of these scenarios looking at all angles/view points. There are going to be a variety of feelings on subjects like these from stealing is always wrong to stealing is wrong unless given these circumstances. I believe interviewers really want to test how well you see and understand the gray area in life!

Lastly, I am a firm believer that all of us have been prepping for years to get to this point. I know it's easier said than done, but reminding myself before every interview that this was what I was meant to do really helped me calm down. I always told myself "what could they possible ask that I haven't prepared for?"--and there was literally maybe 1 to 2 questions that I came out of the interviews being like....oof that was a rough answer.

I also just wanted to end, make sure to prepare a list of questions you want to ask the school, I generally struggled with this during my first interview because I did a lot of pre-research and because of that I didn't know what to say, but getting a set list of: "what is your favorite thing about XYZ school? what do you love about the area? what do you feel sets this school apart? How do you feel the curriculum prepares students for their first job right after graduation?" etc.

Anywaysssss, sorry that was so long! I hope any of that helps and if you ever want to message me privately to talk more I'm always down! :) ♥️
I would second the interview advice! Last year for my Arizona interview I did about 10 practice rounds with people. I started with close friends and had them interview me in the same format that the interview would be held in. So I made sure I only had 2 minutes of thinking time and then 5 minutes to speak. This really made me more confident on the actual day because I was able to figure out how to use that two minutes to make a good speaking plan. The next people I had interview me were people I knew, but not super well. So my husband's boss did one for me and his manager (I had met them, but didn't know them well). And that gave me the confidence to speak about myself and what I stood for in front of complete strangers. My friends gave me confidence to make mistakes and come back from it. And they all kept in the spirit of things. So they took the time to look up 5-7 questions (1 tell me about yourself, a couple ethical or situational, and then 1 why this vet school or why vet school), meaning I had no idea what sort of questions I would be asked. That helped take the scariness out of the unknown. Because over the course of the practice, I realized that I was WAY more capable and prepared than I thought.
This type of practice is very time intense, but since then I have felt so much more at ease and don't get quite so nervous about needing to do any sort of interviews.
All of this practice was over zoom. So it is very realistic feeling.

I didn't get in last year, but I think that has to do with my GPA and less my experiences or interviews (unfortunately Arizona didn't do file reviews for waitlisted applicants) so I have been working hard to make that better and am again waiting to hear from Arizona this cycle. I am always down to help anyone practice interviewing. I really enjoy helping people become more comfortable with the process!!

Last edited:
  • Care
Hello guys!
This has been my first application cycle and I applied to 4 schools. I was rejected from Mizzou and OkState (my in-state where I interviewed and was rejected) and was waitlisted at K State and NCSU. While I have learned a lot from this cycle, like how to believe in myself regardless of rejections, it's still hard. I think next year I might only apply to my in-state since it's the only school I can afford to go to. Right now, I'm considering doing a master's in Comparative biomedical sciences since my in-state uses it as part of their DVM/MS so I would essentially just start my MS before my DVM. Fingers crossed we all get good news going forward!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, don't give up hope, you've been working hard toward this goal for years!

If you end up having some time between application cycles, you may want to consider the University of Illinois College of Vetmed Graduate Certificate in Veterinary Science. It's a 12 hour graduate certificate that can be taken over two semesters or in one 12-week intensive summer program. Both delivery options are fully online.

Our students can:
- Not only slightly improve GPA for vet school applications if they perform well, but also prove success in a College of Vetmed Courses at the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Get recommendation letters from faculty at the college
- Receive application coaching from faculty at the vet school
- Learn about various career options
- Learn the foundations that are taught in the first year of vet school, so upon admission are a leg up on the challenge of the first year

Once the certificate is complete, those credits will apply toward the Master in Veterinary Science Degree, should you decide to continue.

If you want more information, you can check out the program at vetmed.illinois.edu/cvs or shoot me a message!

Good luck, rooting for each of you!
Hi Everyone. I hope you're all remaining positive, the best you can!

I just wanted to let you know that the applications are open for the University of Illinois Master of Veterinary Science Degree and the Graduate Certificate in Veterinary Science. Both programs can be completed online. You could start the Graduate Certificate this summer, completing 12 hours in 12 weeks and finish the remaining 20 hours of the program over the course of the next two semesters.

If you're still considering your options, check it out to see if it might be a good fit for you.

vetmed.illinois.edu/mvs
vetmed.illinois.edu/cvs

I sympathize with all of you who have really done amazing work with your applications. I'm not sure how much the addition of new schools could help you, but I hope you get as much feedback about your application as possible.

Are there other "postbac" tracks for aspiring veterinary students that are being set up, such as these interim "masters" or special masters programs? Do we need to develop separate discussions to get better insight on the type of students these programs are looking for? Are they strictly academic booster or diversity-focused programs? Do people who graduate with these credentials get a "leg up" in the admissions process, and what are the consequences for strategies to getting into a vet school?

I welcome any feedback on articles I have published on SDN for successful applicants:

I sympathize with all of you who have really done amazing work with your applications. I'm not sure how much the addition of new schools could help you, but I hope you get as much feedback about your application as possible.

Are there other "postbac" tracks for aspiring veterinary students that are being set up, such as these interim "masters" or special masters programs? Do we need to develop separate discussions to get better insight on the type of students these programs are looking for? Are they strictly academic booster or diversity-focused programs? Do people who graduate with these credentials get a "leg up" in the admissions process, and what are the consequences for strategies to getting into a vet school?

I welcome any feedback on articles I have published on SDN for successful applicants:
All these programs are just a few years old max. None over 5 or 7 years. So I don't know of any data that shows they help with actual admissions.

There's honestly a lot less data with vet med admissions compared to MD/DO. Our VMSAR is nothing compared to the MSAR

All these programs are just a few years old max. None over 5 or 7 years. So I don't know of any data that shows they help with actual admissions.
There's honestly a lot less data with vet med admissions compared to MD/DO. Our VMSAR is nothing compared to the MSAR
You aren't kidding about VMSAR (I know). And there should be more that the prehealth advisors can do to get more data. The current Executive Director for NAAHP was the AAVMC exec involved with recruitment and has a longstanding connection with NAAHP, so there are receptive ears.

It would be great to know specifically how adcoms are evaluating experiences since this thread highlights that so many people are putting in hundreds of hours to get experience and insight, and yet they aren't successful. You shouldn't need to essentially become a vet tech or get a postbac certification to get into vet school... or at least that is the message the admissions professionals who network with prehealth advisors say. That becomes a significant barrier for whose who cannot afford to take the extra years. (Also, are there reserved seats for those who take these postbac/master's vet/animal science programs.)

P.S. Anyone who participated in a recorded or virtual interview: we want your help filling out our current open survey. I also hope any of you who had taken Casper could help us when we reopen the SJT Experience Survey later in the fall... but anyone who wants to help give us some insight, please connect with me or join our HPSA Student Advisory Committee. The more diverse our voices are, the stronger our position is to advocate for you.

Last edited:
I mention it because it was noted in one of the discussions for advisors from admissions professionals at a vet school... I'm running through the discussion and need confirmation...

(Note: Becoming a Student Doctor can help vet school (re)applicants too.)

You shouldn't need to essentially become a vet tech or get a postbac certification to get into vet school... or at least that is the message the admissions professionals who network with prehealth advisors say.
The majority of matriculating vet students are first time applicants; somewhere in the range of 75% of first year students according to the AAVMC. So I would agree that honestly, the average vet student who matriculates into vet school does not need to be either a tech or go through a post-bacc.

I think part of the problem is cultural. There aren't as many pre-health advisors knowledgeable about vet school admissions likely due to the low number of pre-vets in comparison. So there is less confidence in telling students what they need and what the cut offs are. Moreover, there is less confidence by advisors on when to tell students they simply aren't competitive. Which leads to my next point.

It has only been in the last few years where vet school is statistically as difficult to get into as human med school. The last few years <45% of vet school applicants gained admission. When I was applying 2013-2016, that number was around 66%. There's an urban myth that vet school is harder to get into than med school, and I don't know where it comes from. But because of this change, people who would have been fine are now struggling, and those who are struggling honestly need to strongly consider what their limits are and why. And, unfortunately, the pre-vet population isn't up to date on this data because there aren't a whole lot of advisors that know it.

Reactions: 6 users
Im going to be 29 this September and this was my first application cycle. I have been very scared I am applying at an older age and its been so discouraging. I applied to 5 schools this year and waitlisted for LMU but I know so many people are waitlisted. I have a lot of experience and now I'm a veterinary technician at a pharmaceutical industry but thinking about a 1 year master's program. Does anyone have any suggestions without the cost or an arm and leg? I am desperate for some guidance.