2029 Personal Statement Readers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supershorty

Don't look so vexed, toots.
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To applicants: You can send a PM regarding your essays to any of the members on the Current Readers list! Just the click the mail icon next to your username on the top right navigation bar/menu, and select "Start a new conversation". Then, type the username(s) of the reader(s) who you'd like to contact in the Recipients box.

To readers:
DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Quote the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN username, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc) under the "current readers" section. DO NOT post your email address or any other identifying and/or public information.
3) Remove the quote tags.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student/Pre-vet/Veterinarian/whatever | Focus on grammar/readability/content, etc. | Any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS:

supershorty | PhD, c/o 2024 DVM | I have helped a number of people with personal statements in prior years, and have been an interviewer for my program for the last several years, so can offer advice on how things come across. I'm happy to help at any stage of the process (being a sounding board vs reading a completed statement), but I will likely only take a few at a time because of being on clinical rotations (and will [hopefully] be a rotating intern during the application cycle, so I will be busy). PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to - but if I say that I have too many already and can't commit to more, please respect that :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
To applicants: You can send a PM regarding your essays to any of the members on the Current Readers list! Just the click the mail icon next to your username on the top right navigation bar/menu, and select "Start a new conversation". Then, type the username(s) of the reader(s) who you'd like to contact in the Recipients box.

To readers:
2) Add your SDN username, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc) under the "current readers" section. DO NOT post your email address or any other identifying and/or public information.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student/Pre-vet/Veterinarian/whatever | Focus on grammar/readability/content, etc. | Any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS:

supershorty | PhD, c/o 2024 DVM | I have helped a number of people with personal statements in prior years, and have been an interviewer for my program for the last several years, so can offer advice on how things come across. I'm happy to help at any stage of the process (being a sounding board vs reading a completed statement), but I will likely only take a few at a time because of being on clinical rotations (and will [hopefully] be a rotating intern during the application cycle, so I will be busy). PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to - but if I say that I have too many already and can't commit to more, please respect that :)

happybirdnerd | Soon to be c/o 2028! :) | I've helped many of my friends with vet and med school essays, and also had many people look at mine. I think my essay was one of the biggest reasons I did so well this cycle so I want to give it forward. I veer towards giving a TON of feedback and not holding back if I think something could be improved, so just tell me if you want a certain type of feedback or do best with a particular flavor of constructive criticism. Happy to look at anything from chicken-scratch to a complete essay!

I am currently at the limit of ones I can look at in a reasonable amount of time.

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

supershorty | PhD, c/o 2024 DVM | I have helped a number of people with personal statements in prior years, and have been an interviewer for my program for the last several years, so can offer advice on how things come across. I'm happy to help at any stage of the process (being a sounding board vs reading a completed statement), but I will likely only take a few at a time because of being on clinical rotations (and will [hopefully] be a rotating intern during the application cycle, so I will be busy). PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to - but if I say that I have too many already and can't commit to more, please respect that :) I am currently not taking more, I already have received a large volume and want to be able to get feedback to people in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks.

happybirdnerd | Soon to be c/o 2028! :) | I've helped many of my friends with vet and med school essays, and also had many people look at mine. I think my essay was one of the biggest reasons I did so well this cycle so I want to give it forward. I veer towards giving a TON of feedback and not holding back if I think something could be improved, so just tell me if you want a certain type of feedback or do best with a particular flavor of constructive criticism. Happy to look at anything from chicken-scratch to a complete essay!

Members don't see this ad :)

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

supershorty | PhD, c/o 2024 DVM | I have helped a number of people with personal statements in prior years, and have been an interviewer for my program for the last several years, so can offer advice on how things come across. I'm happy to help at any stage of the process (being a sounding board vs reading a completed statement), but I will likely only take a few at a time because of being on clinical rotations (and will [hopefully] be a rotating intern during the application cycle, so I will be busy). PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to - but if I say that I have too many already and can't commit to more, please respect that :) I am currently not taking more, I already have received a large volume and want to be able to get feedback to people in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks.

Cami194 | V1, c/o 2027 | I'm happy to read personal statement drafts (or supplementary essays) to help guide for content as well as readability/flow and can provide general or specific notes for areas of concern. I have a linguistics background (although grammar is not my forte...) and spent many, MANY hours poring over my essays for whatever that's worth. I have some brainstorming prompts that I am happy to share too if you're feeling stuck! I found statement readers to be extremely helpful when I applied so I hope to return the favor.

Reactions: 1 user

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

supershorty | PhD, c/o 2024 DVM | I have helped a number of people with personal statements in prior years, and have been an interviewer for my program for the last several years, so can offer advice on how things come across. I'm happy to help at any stage of the process (being a sounding board vs reading a completed statement), but I will likely only take a few at a time because of being on clinical rotations (and will [hopefully] be a rotating intern during the application cycle, so I will be busy). PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to - but if I say that I have too many already and can't commit to more, please respect that :)I am currently not taking more, I already have received a large volume and want to be able to get feedback to people in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks.

Cami194 | V1, c/o 2027 | I'm happy to read personal statement drafts (or supplementary essays) to help guide for content as well as readability/flow and can provide general or specific notes for areas of concern. I have a linguistics background (although grammar is not my forte...) and spent many, MANY hours poring over my essays for whatever that's worth. I have some brainstorming prompts that I am happy to share too if you're feeling stuck! I found statement readers to be extremely helpful when I applied so I hope to return the favor.

sheepshepherdess | First year student, c/o 2027 | Can help with overall content and tips on adjusting the writing to a more conversational or creative tone and to make your unique traits stand out. I have a background in sociology and have done a ton of essay writing and creative writing over the years. I do believe my essays were what helped push me over the edge and get an interview, so I am happy to help others--however, I am a vet student and a parent so if I get too many responses, I will have to cut people off at some point ;)

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

supershorty | PhD, c/o 2024 DVM | I have helped a number of people with personal statements in prior years, and have been an interviewer for my program for the last several years, so can offer advice on how things come across. I'm happy to help at any stage of the process (being a sounding board vs reading a completed statement), but I will likely only take a few at a time because of being on clinical rotations (and will [hopefully] be a rotating intern during the application cycle, so I will be busy). PM me and I'll give you an email address to send it to - but if I say that I have too many already and can't commit to more, please respect that :)I am currently not taking more, I already have received a large volume and want to be able to get feedback to people in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks.

happybirdnerd | Soon to be c/o 2028! :) | I've helped many of my friends with vet and med school essays, and also had many people look at mine. I think my essay was one of the biggest reasons I did so well this cycle so I want to give it forward. I veer towards giving a TON of feedback and not holding back if I think something could be improved, so just tell me if you want a certain type of feedback or do best with a particular flavor of constructive criticism. Happy to look at anything from chicken-scratch to a complete essay! Unfortunately, I have to get through my current list before I can handle any more statements. Good luck everyone!

sheepshepherdess | First year student, c/o 2027 | Can help with overall content and tips on adjusting the writing to a more conversational or creative tone and to make your unique traits stand out. I have a background in sociology and have done a ton of essay writing and creative writing over the years. I do believe my essays were what helped push me over the edge and get an interview, so I am happy to help others--however, I am a vet student and a parent so if I get too many responses, I will have to cut people off at some point ;)

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

happybirdnerd | Soon to be c/o 2028! :) | I've helped many of my friends with vet and med school essays, and also had many people look at mine. I think my essay was one of the biggest reasons I did so well this cycle so I want to give it forward. I veer towards giving a TON of feedback and not holding back if I think something could be improved, so just tell me if you want a certain type of feedback or do best with a particular flavor of constructive criticism. Happy to look at anything from chicken-scratch to a complete essay! Unfortunately, I have to get through my current list before I can handle any more statements. Good luck everyone!

vetcowboy | c/o 2027 | I am open to reading personal statements, mostly for their content and readability specifically. Last year I helped a pretty large number of people apply (and get in) to vet school, and I love reading about all of the amazing things y'all do. I really believe the personal statement is one of the most important aspects of your application, and one of the reasons I got into vet school, so I am here for you! If your looking for people to read over your essay, don't just ask one either, the more eyes on your essay the better!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

vetcowboy | c/o 2027 | I am open to reading personal statements, mostly for their content and readability specifically. Last year I helped a pretty large number of people apply (and get in) to vet school, and I love reading about all of the amazing things y'all do. I really believe the personal statement is one of the most important aspects of your application, and one of the reasons I got into vet school, so I am here for you! If your looking for people to read over your essay, don't just ask one either, the more eyes on your essay the better!

lianguine | incoming c/o 2028 | Open to reading personal statements or other essays you've prepared. I am usually not the most creative writer, so I do better on the grammar/readability front. Can do my best to ensure that it reads well as a whole and look for areas of improvement. I am usually busy during the week but have Fri and Sat off so I will likely only respond during my weekends. Also prefer to write comments on Google docs, but I can respond anywhere. Good luck!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

sheepshepherdess | First year student, c/o 2027 | Can help with overall content and tips on adjusting the writing to a more conversational or creative tone and to make your unique traits stand out. I have a background in sociology and have done a ton of essay writing and creative writing over the years. I do believe my essays were what helped push me over the edge and get an interview, so I am happy to help others--however, I am a vet student and a parent so if I get too many responses, I will have to cut people off at some point ;) Update, I am not taking any more essays right now as I am already behind. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

lianguine | incoming c/o 2028 | Open to reading personal statements or other essays you've prepared. I am usually not the most creative writer, so I do better on the grammar/readability front. Can do my best to ensure that it reads well as a whole and look for areas of improvement. I am usually busy during the week but have Fri and Sat off so I will likely only respond during my weekends. Also prefer to write comments on Google docs, but I can respond anywhere. Good luck!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

sheepshepherdess | First year student, c/o 2027 | Can help with overall content and tips on adjusting the writing to a more conversational or creative tone and to make your unique traits stand out. I have a background in sociology and have done a ton of essay writing and creative writing over the years. I do believe my essays were what helped push me over the edge and get an interview, so I am happy to help others--however, I am a vet student and a parent so if I get too many responses, I will have to cut people off at some point ;) Update, I am not taking any more essays right now as I am already behind. Good luck to everyone this cycle!

mackdelraye | c/o 2027 | I’m a truly non-traditional applicant who had no idea where to start when I was applying so I am open to reading any essays no matter the stage! I was involved in human translational research and did not have much veterinary experience prior to school and a bit older than the traditional applicant. I feel like my writing has improved significantly since going through the application process. Happy to provide some help in any way I can :)

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

mackdelraye | c/o 2027 | I’m a truly non-traditional applicant who had no idea where to start when I was applying so I am open to reading any essays no matter the stage! I was involved in human translational research and did not have much veterinary experience prior to school and a bit older than the traditional applicant. I feel like my writing has improved significantly since going through the application process. Happy to provide some help in any way I can :)

eleanor713 | c/o 2028 | I got in during my second application cycle and did a complete 180 on my personal statement between the two cycles. I was just talking with a current vet about my PS and they were quite impressed by how I tackled it so I would love to be able to help out anyone in need. I had many people on this forum read mine which I think truly helped me get into vet school! I can also read over supplemental essays, experience sections, etc.

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

Cami194 | V1, c/o 2027 | I'm happy to read personal statement drafts (or supplementary essays) to help guide for content as well as readability/flow and can provide general or specific notes for areas of concern. I have a linguistics background (although grammar is not my forte...) and spent many, MANY hours poring over my essays for whatever that's worth. I have some brainstorming prompts that I am happy to share too if you're feeling stuck! I found statement readers to be extremely helpful when I applied so I hope to return the favor. I am taking a break from reading any more personal statements, but will update this again if I have capacity!

eleanor713 | c/o 2028 | I got in during my second application cycle and did a complete 180 on my personal statement between the two cycles. I was just talking with a current vet about my PS and they were quite impressed by how I tackled it so I would love to be able to help out anyone in need. I had many people on this forum read mine which I think truly helped me get into vet school! I can also read over supplemental essays, experience sections, etc.