2028 Personal Statement Readers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZoo

Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To applicants: You can send a PM regarding your essays to any of the members on the Current Readers list! Just the click the mail icon next to your username on the top right navigation bar/menu, and select "Start a new conversation". Then, type the username(s) of the reader(s) who you'd like to contact in the Recipients box.

To readers:
DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Quote the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN username, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc) under the "current readers" section. DO NOT post your email address or any other identifying and/or public information.
3) Remove the quote tags.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student/Pre-vet/Veterinarian/whatever | Focus on grammar/readability/content, etc. | Any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS:

WildZoo | c/o 2020, DVM, PhD | I have a degree in writing and have helped many applicants with their personal statements in prior years. I have also participated as an interviewer in the past few application cycles for my school, so have some perspective from the other side of the table on how these essays are received. Happy to help at any stage in the writing process, as well as through multiple revisions, and I tend to be thorough and detailed in my feedback. I will likely only take on a few essays at a time this cycle to keep things manageable. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you an email address to send to (easier for me to keep track that way).

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
To applicants: You can send a PM regarding your essays to any of the members on the Current Readers list! Just the click the mail icon next to your username on the top right navigation bar/menu, and select "Start a new conversation". Then, type the username(s) of the reader(s) who you'd like to contact in the Recipients box.

To readers:
2) Add your SDN username, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc) under the "current readers" section. DO NOT post your email address or any other identifying and/or public information.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student/Pre-vet/Veterinarian/whatever | Focus on grammar/readability/content, etc. | Any other pertinent info

CURRENT READERS:

WildZoo | c/o 2020, DVM, PhD | I have a degree in writing and have helped many applicants with their personal statements in prior years. I have also participated as an interviewer in the past few application cycles for my school, so have some perspective from the other side of the table on how these essays are received. Happy to help at any stage in the writing process, as well as through multiple revisions, and I tend to be thorough and detailed in my feedback. I will likely only take on a few essays at a time this cycle to keep things manageable. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you an email address to send to (easier for me to keep track that way).

Cami194 | soon-to-be vet student, c/o 2027 | I found statement readers to be extremely helpful last application cycle so I hope to return the favor. I'm happy to read personal statement drafts (or supplementary essays) to help guide for content as well as readability/flow and can provide general or specific notes for areas of concern. I have a linguistics background (although grammar is not my forte...) and spent many, MANY hours poring over my essays for whatever that's worth. I have some brainstorming prompts that I am happy to share too if you're feeling stuck!

Reactions: 1 user

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

Cami194 | soon-to-be vet student, c/o 2027 | I found statement readers to be extremely helpful last application cycle so I hope to return the favor. I'm happy to read personal statement drafts (or supplementary essays) to help guide for content as well as readability/flow and can provide general or specific notes for areas of concern. I have a linguistics background (although grammar is not my forte...) and spent many, MANY hours poring over my essays for whatever that's worth. I have some brainstorming prompts that I am happy to share too if you're feeling stuck!

IvyMoose | Vet student c/o 2027, MS | I love writing and really want to help out the soon-to-be-vets! I welcome any and all essays. I have written many essays (internships, master's programs, vet school, English classes) and have had them edited and reviewed with vet admissions officers. I can help with proofreading or content or flow or anything, just let me know. I will say that I can give a lot of detailed feedback, and it can be very direct, but it is not personal. Shoot me a PM :)

Members don't see this ad :)

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

IvyMoose | Vet student c/o 2027, MS | I love writing and really want to help out the soon-to-be-vets! I welcome any and all essays. I have written many essays (internships, master's programs, vet school, English classes) and have had them edited and reviewed with vet admissions officers. I can help with proofreading or content or flow or anything, just let me know. I will say that I can give a lot of detailed feedback, and it can be very direct, but it is not personal. Shoot me a PM :)

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

Butterflyeffect | c/o 2027 | I have been an essay editor and english tutor for years, as well as studying creative writing I love to help people find their voice and ensure they are telling the story they want to portray! I am happy to help with editing, ideas, concision, anything you need... I totally understand how overwhelming this all can be after the months and months of writing and re-writing. I generally give a lot of feedback so you can take what you want and leave what you don't, feel free to reach out!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

Butterflyeffect | c/o 2027 | I have been an essay editor and english tutor for years, as well as studying creative writing I love to help people find their voice and ensure they are telling the story they want to portray! I am happy to help with editing, ideas, concision, anything you need... I totally understand how overwhelming this all can be after the months and months of writing and re-writing. I generally give a lot of feedback so you can take what you want and leave what you don't, feel free to reach out!

dboltz | CVM c/o 2027 | I am open to reading both personal statements and supplemental essays! I have spent the last two years reading over a multitude of different essays for my friends (grad school apps, english assignments, etc) and can assist with both grammatical editing as well as content clarity/ensuring everything flows well. I typically provide feedback in the form of tracked changes and comments via Word so that you can take any suggestions that you like and remove the rest. Having people read over my essays during my app cycle definitely helped me to feel confident in what I was submitting, and I'd like to help future applicants feel the same way!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

dboltz | CVM c/o 2027 | I am open to reading both personal statements and supplemental essays! I have spent the last two years reading over a multitude of different essays for my friends (grad school apps, english assignments, etc) and can assist with both grammatical editing as well as content clarity/ensuring everything flows well. I typically provide feedback in the form of tracked changes and comments via Word so that you can take any suggestions that you like and remove the rest. Having people read over my essays during my app cycle definitely helped me to feel confident in what I was submitting, and I'd like to help future applicants feel the same way!

vetcowboy | CVM c/o 2027 | I am open to reading personal statements, mostly for their content and readability specifically. I really believe the personal statement is one of the most important aspects of your application, and one of the reasons I got into vet school, so I am here for you! If your looking for people to read over your essay, don't just ask one either, the more eyes on your essay the better!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

vetcowboy | CVM c/o 2027 | I am open to reading personal statements, mostly for their content and readability specifically. I really believe the personal statement is one of the most important aspects of your application, and one of the reasons I got into vet school, so I am here for you! If your looking for people to read over your essay, don't just ask one either, the more eyes on your essay the better!

SportPonies | c/o 2021, DVM | Prior years' essay reviewer (back at it), former undergraduate English tutor. I don't have a cool English degree like Dubz but I like to think I have a decent handle on grammar. My personal statements and scholarship essay applications are definitely the strongest part of any application I've sent into the world. I am likely not the fastest reviewer on this list, but can offer the perspective of a graduated vet. I will be limiting the number of essays I review as needed based on my real-life schedule (sorry)

Last edited:
I am aware that a thread was made for this, but some of the people I reached out to never gave me a response, which is fine, but I would really like an impartial set of eyes laid on my PS if anyone is willing and able :) Comment below and I'll message you!

I am aware that a thread was made for this, but some of the people I reached out to never gave me a response, which is fine, but I would really like an impartial set of eyes laid on my PS if anyone is willing and able :) Comment below and I'll message you!
If you haven't reached out to everyone listed above as readers, you may want to start there. Not sure how many people you tried to contact, but I don't see a PM from you and I am still open to reading and providing feedback.

Hello! Would there be anyone willing to take a look at my personal statement and provide feedback for veterinary schools? I'm not looking for anything on grammatical side as I will fix that up later, but rather along the lines for content, engaging, and entertaining. Any suggestions to strengthen it would be appreciated. Thanks!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

SportPonies | c/o 2021, DVM | Prior years' essay reviewer (back at it), former undergraduate English tutor. I don't have a cool English degree like Dubz but I like to think I have a decent handle on grammar. My personal statements and scholarship essay applications are definitely the strongest part of any application I've sent into the world. I am likely not the fastest reviewer on this list, but can offer the perspective of a graduated vet. I will be limiting the number of essays I review as needed based on my real-life schedule (sorry)

Members don't see this ad :)
removing myself for now while I prepare for a multi-state move to school :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys - please respect when someone takes their name off the list. I've gotten several (several) PMs with requests after I removed myself. Qualifying your request with "I know you said you're not taking any more right now but..." doesn't make me any less busy, it just clogs my inbox. I'll put my name back when I am done reviewing the ones I've received already. Thanks!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

~~

Removing myself as I try to enjoy my last 10 (!!) days of freedom before starting year 1 😛 I'll continue to read subsequent drafts if you're already in touch with me but am not taking any new requests.

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

~~

Also removing myself to enjoy last few days (and finish some assignments). TO THOSE THAT ALREADY CONTACTED ME: I will get back to you this weekend, but after this post I will not be taking any more requests. Thank you!

Hi! I was wondering if someone was willing to read my explanation statement? I already had great help for my personal statement and refined it many times. However, I feel like my explanation statement can also have that same care. I had a lot going on yet I find it difficult to imply that carefully in my essay given the 3,000 word count 😅. I do not want it to sound like I am excusing any lack of something, but I also do not want it to sound too vague where I could have not lacked of something, you know? I am sorry I am rambling a lot lol but I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm happy to read it if you can get it to me by Friday! DM me with it or for contact details!

I'm happy to read it if you can get it to me by Friday! DM me with it or for contact details!
Oh sorry for seeing this so late! But it is okay, I got it looked over and already submitted my application 😁 Regardless thank you!!

Oh sorry for seeing this so late! But it is okay, I got it looked over and already submitted my application 😁 Regardless thank you!!
No problem, yay congrats on being DONE!

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

I have become unexpectedly busy and already have a large backlog of requests. I will be working my way through them and will add myself back on the list if I become available again.

To anyone who is willing to read this! This is my very rough draft, I have about 400 more characters before 3000 so let me know what you all think! you should be able to comment directly on the document!!!

Edited by moderator:
@goosegirl, it is unwise to put your google docs link on a public message board.
Please follow the instructions on this thread and PM one of the volunteer readers in the post directly above this.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any more willing to look at personal statements? I have messaged the two from Aug 13th post.

Anyone willing to read supplemental application question responses? :)

hi! question: are any of y'all using "vets" rather than "veterinarians" in your essays? i'm running out of characters and it would really help, but i'm a little scared of sounding too casual and not professional. what do you guys think?

hi! question: are any of y'all using "vets" rather than "veterinarians" in your essays? i'm running out of characters and it would really help, but i'm a little scared of sounding too casual and not professional. what do you guys think?
I think the general rule is to use the complete spelling the first time and then you can use an abbreviated form? I referred to a CVT in my essay so for the first mention I used the full "certified veterinary technician" and then for subsequent mentions I used the acronym. This is a little different than an abbreviated form like veterinarian/vet, but might be a work around to save on characters.
Other tips for saving on characters: changing passive voice to active voice, cutting superfluous descriptors/adjectives, and limiting the use of institutional names which ad coms can see in your application/Experiences section.

• Love
Hi there, Is anyone still reviewing personal statements? I am working on my saskatchewan application and would appreciate feedback! Thank you.

Would anyone be able to help me ? Wanted to see if anyone can look at my personal statement and essays to help me revise it for the next cycle due to me being rejected. Thank you. I’d really appreciate it and need it

Hey feel free to send me a message. I’d be happy to review your personal statement.

I'm also happy to look at your statement and give some feedback. I got accepted this cycle and feel like all the different people who reviewed my statement definitely contributed to that. Just send me a message! :)

To readers:

Example:

CURRENT READERS:

vetcowboy | c/o 2027 | I am open to reading personal statements, mostly for their content and readability specifically. I really believe the personal statement is one of the most important aspects of your application, and one of the reasons I got into vet school, so I am here for you! If your looking for people to read over your essay, don't just ask one either, the more eyes on your essay the better!