22ga long whitacre

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmurp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if 22ga long spinal needles exist as a whitacre? Seeing a lot more big people and I'm thinking I would use them. Currently we only have long 22 ga quincke.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't seen 22g long whitacres, but there are some 25/27g if you really want one.

Is a whitacre necessary at that size for PDPH?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pajunk makes 22g sprottes to 150mm.
I'm not sure you need a bigger needle than that, you can always press the skin in. Most of the time the standard 3.5" is enough, with some adipose manipulation.
If that's not long enough, maybe a vet supply? ;)

The vast majority of the PDPH calls we get are from the ER after a neurologist did an LP with their barbaric 22g cutting needle.

Most of the time, if I reach for a 22g spinal needle, it's for an old person with a crunchy spine. Old patients don't seem to ever get PDPHs no matter what you pierce the dura with.

If for some reason I wanted a 22 for a young person I would definitely prefer a non-cutting type.

I haven't seen 22g long whitacres, but there are some 25/27g if you really want one.

In my limited experience, often the problem with the long 25g needles in the super morbid obese population is bending, even if used with an introducer. It would be nice to have a long 22g Whitacre for sure.

In my limited experience, often the problem with the long 25g needles in the super morbid obese population is bending, even if used with an introducer. It would be nice to have a long 22g Whitacre for sure.
Long 25s will fit through CSE kit Tuohy needles ... that's a 10 cm introducer.

Reactions: 3 users
Long 25s will fit through CSE kit Tuohy needles ... that's a 10 cm introducer.
Maybe that's the best solution. The long 25's don't track very true, I think. If you use an epidural first, then put the 25 through that, one might get a more reliable result.

I love a 22G Whitacre, though I've never had to hub and indent that bad boy.