How long to stay at first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBOB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new attending who recently started working out of fellowship. Due to personal goals, I am now looking to move locations, but I am concerned about seeming flaky if I leave this position too soon. Is there a safe amount of time before it wouldn't seem unreasonable to start looking for new employment?

Members don't see this ad.

Try the job for at least 4 months. It’s only sept so you have been there barely 2 months max.

Unless you feel like you are getting screwed in terms of compensation and work hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a new attending who recently started working out of fellowship. Due to personal goals, I am now looking to move locations, but I am concerned about seeming flaky if I leave this position too soon. Is there a safe amount of time before it wouldn't seem unreasonable to start looking for new employment?
I will look down on applicants that don’t last a year, unless they have a good story about the change so quickly.
If you go to more than 3 practices in 5 years I wouldn’t hire you.

Employee turnover is a huge expense and pain, and weeding out applicants that are going to leave is important for employers.

I am in a small PP though, so I suspect my view is a little more harsh than other models.

Who cares? If you have personal reasons to move, just do it. It’ll probably take 6 months to a year to find a new job anyway.

There’s no right time if it doesn’t feel right. Your contract likely has a 90 day notice clause and credentialing for a new job will likely take longer, so you really may end up spending 6-12 months at your current job.

There are two things I would keep in mind though. First, be careful who you ask for recommendations and keep that circle small. Second, make sure you spend at least a couple years at the next job otherwise it’ll only raise red flags going forward. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
r/antiwork The only rational thing to do is to do what you feel is in your best interest (barring unethical behavior). Your employer will act in their own best interest (plus or minus ethics).

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Every potential employer will ask the question, "Why are you looking so soon?". It won't matter if your answer is credible.

Every potential employer will ask the question, "Why are you looking so soon?". It won't matter if your answer is credible.
Is there not a plethora of jobs though?

Reactions: 1 users

Sometimes the reason is obvious to the potential employer.

I graduated residency into a terrible job market.

1st job-1year.
2nd job-1year
3rd job-3 yrs
4th job-21yrs

Last edited:
Is there not a plethora of jobs though?

Nowadays we don’t care why they’re leaving their old job. We only care that they’re qualified and they want to work with us. We’ve had plenty of people leave after 1-3 years too. But at least they worked with us for that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I agree that more than 3 jobs in your first 5 years is a huge red flag. Thirty years ago even having 3 jobs in 5 years was a red flag. My first job was 12 years. My second job was a year and a half. My current job is 21 years.

One year seems okay. Write down your concerns about your current position and after 6 months ask your leadership if there is any way they can be addressed.

If concerns are deemed reasonable, they’ll probably work with you to address them. The labor market is tight and the demand is high. If your fellowship is in high demand and they know replacing you will be hard (which it probably will be), they may accommodate.

If Personal goals are financial. Ask to pick up more calls. Or do locums

Members don't see this ad :)
One year seems okay. Write down your concerns about your current position and after 6 months ask your leadership if there is any way they can be addressed.

If concerns are deemed reasonable, they’ll probably work with you to address them. The labor market is tight and the demand is high. If your fellowship is in high demand and they know replacing you will be hard (which it probably will be), they may accommodate.

If Personal goals are financial. Ask to pick up more calls. Or do locums
Honestly there are a lot of garbage jobs out there and many that are otherwise not the right fit. I think this suggestion is reasonable - but I wouldn’t be so hopeful that reasonable concerns will be fixed because of a hot market. Lots of employers have a “whatever” attitude about employment and the workplace and just don’t care to fix anything. Hence the need to leave.

For OP I would personally leave to another job if a better fit came up - the time you’ve been there is irrelevant. Employers aren’t loyal to you these days (mostly), so there’s no reciprocal obligation for you to be either.

If you’re in the right job then you just simply won’t want to leave.

This is another question that comes up frequently that usually gets weird responses. I just don’t understand these arbitrary time commitments that people suggest before leaving a job. If you have a good reason then leave and find something else. Someone may ask you about it at the next interview, so be prepared to have a good answer. You don’t owe an employer anything (unless spelled out in a contract like paying back a signing bonus or something). If a great opportunity comes along, do you turn it down because you haven’t fulfilled some arbitrary time requirement that exists purely to make CVs look nice and tidy?

Reactions: 9 users
The job market is very fluid in anesthesia right now. I stayed a few years at my first job, at my second job I gave notice I didn’t want to pursue partnership a few months in. Now i work locums for both of those jobs. The anesthesia field is small - just make sure you don’t burn bridges along the way.

Reactions: 5 users
Most people that run/have run practices understand that none of this is personal. Be mindful of the specific language in your contract regarding notice, be respectful and pragmatic. No one should fault you. “This position isn’t a great fit for me/my family.” Or “I’ve come across another opportunity that’s more in line with my personal and financial goals”, etc etc. “Please consider this my ::insert time:: notice. Thank you for the opportunity.”

Reactions: 3 users
This routinely came up during a credentials committee meeting once when we were looking at anesthesiologists and emergency medicine doctors having jobs every two years. Especially younger docs and earlier careers.

Prime reason for job change is pay increase esp if you don’t have partnership.

I always mentioned that those days of partnerships and loyalties are largely gone. With private equity and AMC, anesthesiologists and ER docs are far more mobile and independent and multiple employment options exist that necessitate a change.

You can’t hold that against them.

You cant really compare an anesthesiology practice to a family medicine practice with a full panel, esp given your employer may not even last 2 years and the new employer (ie AMC takeover) may not be what you’re looking for.

There is a lot of turnover in anesthesia and ER from the buyouts and contract changes. Can’t blame the doc for moving too to try to navigate around it.

well crap, i do locums at a few hospital systems .... i have three different places... i havent been out a year yet

well crap, i do locums at a few hospital systems .... i have three different places... i havent been out a year yet
Just don’t pickup bad habits as new grad.

Reactions: 2 users
This routinely came up during a credentials committee meeting once when we were looking at anesthesiologists and emergency medicine doctors having jobs every two years. Especially younger docs and earlier careers.

Prime reason for job change is pay increase esp if you don’t have partnership.

I always mentioned that those days of partnerships and loyalties are largely gone. With private equity and AMC, anesthesiologists and ER docs are far more mobile and independent and multiple employment options exist that necessitate a change.

You can’t hold that against them.

You cant really compare an anesthesiology practice to a family medicine practice with a full panel, esp given your employer may not even last 2 years and the new employer (ie AMC takeover) may not be what you’re looking for.

There is a lot of turnover in anesthesia and ER from the buyouts and contract changes. Can’t blame the doc for moving too to try to navigate around it.
Yes, and in normal non medicine business it’s entirely expected to change jobs every 2 years for a pay raise or promotion - this is certainly the case with those admins. I really think the new job mobility is a great thing.

Last edited:
Please expand.
It’s more how they carry themselves as new grad especially locums new grad.

Surgeons (at least my surgeon friends) are very skeptical when they work with new grad whether it’s act model or solo.

They prefer new grads in general to be solo in the room but often times they feel new grads don’t have experience handling the act model and just signing charts and letting crnas dictate how cases go especially with their sicker patients.

Now image being a new grad locums doc. My old school surgeon doc friends will grill the new grad locums about their patients in act model and some of them fail the test. Cause they don’t know jack about the patients cause they running around signing charts. So you are under the microscope more as new grad especially locums new grad.

Surgeons in general are very skeptical with locums as we all know. Being new doc plus being new grad puts u even more under the microscope.

Some locums companies unless dire desperation prefer not to use new grads. One of our full time w2 docs new grads wants to do locums and one of the big locums companies (rhymes with convoy) tells them they need at least one year under their belt per their clients at the hospital that needs coverage.

Surgeons (at least my surgeon friends) are very skeptical when they work with new grad whether it’s act model or solo.

They prefer new grads in general to be solo in the room but often times they feel new grads don’t have experience handling the act model and just signing charts and letting crnas dictate how cases go especially with their sicker patients.

Now image being a new grad locums doc. My old school surgeon doc friends will grill the new grad locums about their patients in act model and some of them fail the test. Cause they don’t know jack about the patients cause they running around signing charts. So you are under the microscope more as new grad especially locums new grad.

Surgeons in general are very skeptical with locums as we all know. Being new doc plus being new grad puts u even more under the microscope.

Some locums companies unless dire desperation prefer not to use new grads. One of our full time w2 docs new grads wants to do locums and one of the big locums companies (rhymes with convoy) tells them they need at least one year under their belt per their clients at the hospital that needs coverage.
You need new friends. I've worked at a lot of hospitals, and I couldn't imagine a surgeon grilling me about a patient. Focus on cutting while I take care of the actual patient. The vast majority of surgeons are clueless about their own patients. The patient is just a means to obtain their wRVUs, nothing more.

Reactions: 16 users
You need new friends. I've worked at a lot of hospitals, and I couldn't imagine a surgeon grilling me about a patient. Focus on cutting while I take care of the actual patient. The vast majority of surgeons are clueless about their own patients. The patient is just a means to obtain their wRVUs, nothing more.
Most surgeons actually care about patients. And they do know their patients. The ones who own their own practices.

And yes. Surgeons want to know who their anesthesiologist is. Or they must be hospital employed and don’t get a rats.

Most surgeons actually care about patients. And they do know their patients. The ones who own their own practices.

And yes. Surgeons want to know who their anesthesiologist is. Or they must be hospital employed and don’t get a rats.
Find new friends. Those are clowns. You're hanging out with people that are cool harassing anesthesiologists new to a practice? You do understand that surgeons haven't done an anesthesia residency and aren't qualified to critique anyone's anesthetic technique? Eff that. They can surgerize, I will anesthetize. Don't normalize that pathetic behavior. I've been in practice for a while and have never had a surgeon critique my technique to my face. That would require some cajones.

If anything new grads tend to be more hypervigilant and overbearing in an ACT model because they are often still nervous and on edge about f_cking up. They are more likely to try to be too involved with the patient's management. People tend to get more comfortable and complacent over time and push the boundaries of what they can get away with as time goes on. From what I've seen it is overwhelmingly late career anesthesiologists (in their 60s-70s) working in ACT who simply sign the chart and let the CRNA do what they want. They've got little energy left to care, and little to lose as many of them could retire at any time and be fine anyways.

If anything new grads tend to be more hypervigilant and overbearing in an ACT model because they are often still nervous and on edge about f_cking up. They are more likely to try to be too involved with the patient's management. People tend to get more comfortable and complacent over time and push the boundaries of what they can get away with as time goes on. From what I've seen it is overwhelmingly late career anesthesiologists (in their 60s-70s) working in ACT who simply sign the chart and let the CRNA do what they want. They've got little energy left to care, and little to lose as many of them could retire at any time and be fine anyways.
That’s what new grads need to do their own cases when they get out. That’s another point of discussion.

It’s not about paying ur dues either. New grads need experience to trouble shoot themselves trouble when the encounter

My old school surgeon doc friends will grill the new grad locums about their patients in act model and some of them fail the test.

Is the test whether or not they realize how inappropriate that is and tell those dinosaur ****s to STFU and quit pimping them?

That’s what new grads need to do their own cases when they get out. That’s another point of discussion.

It’s not about paying ur dues either. New grads need experience to trouble shoot themselves trouble when the encounter

Totally agree.

I think it's risky for new grads to do 100% locums. If for no other reason that nobody will care about them. New grads benefit from having colleagues who are invested in their success, and will help them.

Is the test whether or not they realize how inappropriate that is and tell those dinosaur ****s to STFU and quit pimping them?

Totally agree.

I think it's risky for new grads to do 100% locums. If for no other reason that nobody will care about them. New grads benefit from having colleagues who are invested in their success, and will help them.
Old school surgeons pimp me also when I do locums.

I’m not immune to it. But they will test the will of locums anesthesia docs. New grads. I’ve seen two of them frazzled just in the last 4 months. One was not asked back. Other they still use daytime but only with another anesthesiologist available and not the lucrative weekend calls.

Lots of competition for that locums assignment. They credentialed tons of docs who now they can pick and choose who they want to use.

That’s why I say you gotta carry yourself a certain way when you are a new grad. Some of these old surgeons sit on hospital credentials committees. They know who you are before you even step in the door.

But yes. New grads need to get some experience first. Stick with full time for at least a year. Do what u want.

Newer grad locums crnas are even worst. Brash cocky. And I knew the word newer grad but brand new grad crnas should not be doing locums period. The newer ones with less than 2 years still learning on the job.

Old school surgeons pimp me also when I do locums.

I’m not immune to it. But they will test the will of locums anesthesia docs. New grads. I’ve seen two of them frazzled just in the last 4 months. One was not asked back. Other they still use daytime but only with another anesthesiologist available and not the lucrative weekend calls.

Lots of competition for that locums assignment. They credentialed tons of docs who now they can pick and choose who they want to use.

That’s why I say you gotta carry yourself a certain way when you are a new grad. Some of these old surgeons sit on hospital credentials committees. They know who you are before you even step in the door.

But yes. New grads need to get some experience first. Stick with full time for at least a year. Do what u want.

Newer grad locums crnas are even worst. Brash cocky. And I knew the word newer grad but brand new grad crnas should not be doing locums period. The newer ones with less than 2 years still learning on the job.
Good way for the surgeons to make the locums want to leave and then complain when they can’t do their cases because “no anesthesia.” What the hell is an attending doing pimping an attending in another specialty? Sounds like a toxic place to work.

Reactions: 9 users
i havent had the pimping thing happen to me, granted im only in two hospital systems. I do my own cases and supervise on other days. Haven't really had issues. Only issue ive had is running into to ortho trying to run two rooms while im also starting a section. you shoulder can wait bro

Good way for the surgeons to make the locums want to leave and then complain when they can’t do their cases because “no anesthesia.” What the hell is an attending doing pimping an attending in another specialty? Sounds like a toxic place to work.
I don’t think they are hurting for locums docs there now. Tons credentialed. It is easy place to work just got them at the right time being short staff. they had 3 full time docs leave in the past 12-15 months including 2 who left in the summer. They were long time anesthesia docs 12-15 years there. One retired. One moved closer to family. The other doc took a 7 (24 hour) a month full time job. Nice gig.

So they were desperate. They literally down to one doc there. Too much of a work burden. But my time may be up there soon. As they are signing 3 more full time docs. All the 3 locums docs converting to full time cause it’s a pretty nice gig.

I got a slightly better full time gig. That’s the only reason I’m not taking to. They get 15/16 weeks off very low call burden 550k. The don’t work more than 35 hours a week full time. It’s just a little further away from my home so I don’t want the further commute.

I’d do the job for 500k/26 weeks off I told them.

I find it very amusing the thought of two ortho docs grilling me about cardiopulmonary physiology and pharmacology.

• Haha
I think a reasonable response to getting pimped by surgeons would be to nicely answer their questions then delay their next case for an hour and a half. Then go into the room during surgery and tell them all about the patient on the table. The more ridiculous the details the better. Maybe after a long talk about their first dog and a description of their junior prom the surgeon will get the hint that he/she can shut up and operate or they can talk and you’ll make sure their day never ends.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Yea, that's ridiculous. I'm a new attending in a private practice at a trauma 1 and I've never been pimped once.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea, that's ridiculous. I'm a new attending in a private practice at a trauma 1 and I've never been pimped once.
Are u locums? At the trauma 1? That’s the real question. So you are new grad locums at trauma one facility? The trauma one facility in my area won’t even take locums docs not board certified. That means no new grads. They desperate. But not that desperate.

There is one thing being new grad and full
Time or semi 0.6 or whatever. And another thing being new grad locums at trauma one.

Look at my current hospital. Even when we had locums. None of them new grads locums. For locums, we need someone with experience. It can be a difficult place to work with high risk ob and gun shots etc. typical bs stuff.

I’m not trying to be bias anti new grad. We break our full time new grads in. No calls for few first weeks (when we regularly did take calls). Don’t throw full time new grads to the wolves. Introduce them to surgeons.

With locums. You don’t get that type of introduction.

I don’t think they are hurting for locums docs there now. Tons credentialed. It is easy place to work just got them at the right time being short staff. they had 3 full time docs leave in the past 12-15 months including 2 who left in the summer. They were long time anesthesia docs 12-15 years there. One retired. One moved closer to family. The other doc took a 7 (24 hour) a month full time job. Nice gig.

So they were desperate. They literally down to one doc there. Too much of a work burden. But my time may be up there soon. As they are signing 3 more full time docs. All the 3 locums docs converting to full time cause it’s a pretty nice gig.

I got a slightly better full time gig. That’s the only reason I’m not taking to. They get 15/16 weeks off very low call burden 550k. The don’t work more than 35 hours a week full time. It’s just a little further away from my home so I don’t want the further commute.

I’d do the job for 500k/26 weeks off I told them.
16 weeks off?? What’s considered very low call burden?

16 weeks off?? What’s considered very low call burden?
Post call night float week off forks. In addition to regular weeks off.

Need to sell it to admin or amc. Ur beeper call is worth lots of valuable tome.

Low call burden means rare to have Or case after 10pm with night float. Night float 3pm-7am beeper

OB is light. 300-350 deliveries A YEAR. Can go entire weekends without epidural easily.

I would laugh my ass off if a surgeon pimped me. Grow some balls and tell them to STFU. I cant imaging doing that to another physician, I dont care how new they are. Sounds like a terrible place to work.

• Haha
Are u locums? At the trauma 1? That’s the real question. So you are new grad locums at trauma one facility? The trauma one facility in my area won’t even take locums docs not board certified. That means no new grads. They desperate. But not that desperate.

Once upon a time I got recruited to do some locums cardiac anesthesia work at a hospital that was very, very short staffed.

I asked for what I thought was a ridiculous hourly rate ($270/hr + travel hotel & per diem for day work / no call back in 2018) and they immediately agreed. Should've asked for more.

I got credentialed, scheduled a few weeks of coverage over a few months, showed up, got oriented to the ORs doing general stuff for a couple days, and spent some time in a heart with one of the regulars. Surgeon was perplexed to see me there but said nothing.

There was a second locums cardiac anesthesiologist there for his first week also.

Then they tried to put us in hearts and the surgeons said NO we don't work with locums. I was annoyed because half the reason I was doing locums at all was for the cardiac case load, since the Navy had just closed our cardiac surgery program. It blew my mind that the hospital and group went to the trouble of bringing in multiple cardiac locums without even asking the surgeons if they'd work with locums.

The group was apologetic but didn't push the issue. I shrugged, and worked my scheduled weeks getting paid really well to sit healthy gen surg and urology cases. I think one of their partners canceled a vacation to do the cases I was going to do. I didn't go back.

So I totally understand the distrust surgeons can have for locums. Rational or irrational, it's a thing.

But as enormous a pile of bull**** that whole experience was, those surgeons didn't stoop to trying to pimping me.

It's weird that you think this is OK or normal.

Then they tried to put us in hearts and the surgeons said NO we don't work with locums. I was annoyed because half the reason I was doing locums at all was for the cardiac case load, since the Navy had just closed our cardiac surgery program. It blew my mind that the hospital and group went to the trouble of bringing in multiple cardiac locums without even asking the surgeons if they'd work with locums.
Yeah, I worked a week of locums mid-Covid at a lucrative place. When they heard I do hearts, they tried to work me into the cardiac room. Did one case. Went fine. I think the surgeon and I were equally uncomfortable. I knew I would only be there one week. I had no desire. If you book multiple weeks, I can see it. But that's not an easy relationship to forge.

And yes, as dusty as cardiac surgeons are, that guy never pimped me. Asked a few polite questions. But then again, I've got gray hair and look seasoned.

Yeah, I worked a week of locums mid-Covid at a lucrative place. When they heard I do hearts, they tried to work me into the cardiac room. Did one case. Went fine. I think the surgeon and I were equally uncomfortable. I knew I would only be there one week. I had no desire. If you book multiple weeks, I can see it. But that's not an easy relationship to forge.

And yes, as dusty as cardiac surgeons are, that guy never pimped me. Asked a few polite questions. But then again, I've got gray hair and look seasoned.
Pimping by surgeon is asking what the plan is going to be. And how much you know about the patient. It’s not asking about anatomy or physiology. Basic history of the patient and your your plan for the patient. I don’t think it’s that far fetch to a conversation to have with any fellow surgeon

I think people are taking it as an exam pimping. It’s simply like an icu handoff report. The icu doc wants to know as much about the patient you are handing off. Or do you guys don’t even talk to the icu doc anymore when you transfer a patient over to their service?

Reactions: 1 users
Pimping by surgeon is asking what the plan is going to be. And how much you know about the patient. It’s not asking about anatomy or physiology. Basic history of the patient and your your plan for the patient. I don’t think it’s that far fetch to a conversation to have with any fellow surgeon

I think people are taking it as an exam pimping. It’s simply like an icu handoff report. The icu doc wants to know as much about the patient you are handing off. Or do you guys don’t even talk to the icu doc anymore when you transfer a patient over to their service?

You’re kind of backpedaling here. “Pimping” (the word you used) has a very specific connotation that anyone who has gone through medical school and residency understands. Discussing a case plan is definitely not the same thing as pimping.

You’re kind of backpedaling here. “Pimping” (the word you used) has a very specific connotation that anyone who has gone through medical school and residency understands. Discussing a case plan is definitely not the same thing as pimping.
Not backpedaling. Read my post. I said surgeons will grill new locums what they KNOW ABOUT THEIR PATIENTS.

I think people misinterpret pimping for questioning about anesthesia facts. Surgeons don’t know much about anesthesia so they aren’t grilling locums about anesthesia. They want to see if you actually know their patients. This requires a very basic history of the patient. Bare bones knowledge. Because they see different faces especially when long time anesthesiologists recently leave practices they are familiar with.

Not backpedaling. Read my post. I said surgeons will grill new locums what they KNOW ABOUT THEIR PATIENTS.

I think people misinterpret pimping for questioning about anesthesia facts. Surgeons don’t know much about anesthesia so they aren’t grilling locums about anesthesia. They want to see if you actually know their patients. This requires a very basic history of the patient. Bare bones knowledge. Because they see different faces especially when long time anesthesiologists recently leave practices they are familiar with.

So... not pimping. "Determining the quality of their locums anesthesiology consultant" is the more accurate description. Begging and choosing, IMO.

That's not pimping

I am thinking the same exact thing. And I have been doing locums about five years out now.

This I agree with. The pimping of anesthesiologists? A bunch of crap. They need to focus on cutting. Leave us alone. And I have also been around doing locums a while. No surgeon ever asked me how long I had been out and practicing that I recall. I introduce myself they may ask where I am from and that’s that.