23 and Undecided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LupoUNCO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going on 23 and still have no idea what I want to major in. None of my parents went to college so it's been a tough road. I do know that I completely love science; Biology, Chemistry, Physics all of it. I've tried majoring in business but no matter what I just can't pull away from science I love it too much. I've recently flirted with the idea of becoming a doctor (surgeon because I love fixing things especially the human body) but I have no idea what I'm in for in terms of financial, can I handle the blood, the long hours, am I academically suited for it etc. I currently have a 3.0 GPA I put in a decent amount of studying but I can definitely try a lot harder. If I were to apply to medical school could I write in my essay that I didn't know I wanted to be a doctor until I came to college and started taking science classes seriously and prove it with an upward GPA trend? Also are there any good sources like websites and personal quizzes about whether I can handle being a doctor or not? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You can write anything you want in your personal statement.

If you're interested in sciences in general, most schools offer a generic "Natural Sciences" degree. You may want to look into that.

I suggest you do some shadowing or volunteering before committing to the pre-med route.

Shadowing, clinical volunteering, and perusing these forums.

Grab a documentary DVD such as Doctor's Diaries or one in an ER setting to see the less glamorous side of medicine.

You're asking questions so that is a good start.

I'm going on 23 and still have no idea what I want to major in. None of my parents went to college so it's been a tough road. I do know that I completely love science; Biology, Chemistry, Physics all of it. I've tried majoring in business but no matter what I just can't pull away from science I love it too much. I've recently flirted with the idea of becoming a doctor (surgeon because I love fixing things especially the human body) but I have no idea what I'm in for in terms of financial, can I handle the blood, the long hours, am I academically suited for it etc. I currently have a 3.0 GPA I put in a decent amount of studying but I can definitely try a lot harder. If I were to apply to medical school could I write in my essay that I didn't know I wanted to be a doctor until I came to college and started taking science classes seriously and prove it with an upward GPA trend? Also are there any good sources like websites and personal quizzes about whether I can handle being a doctor or not? Thanks in advance.

Yes, what the others said. To answer your Q, yes, you can say that in your personal statement - many of us non-trads do. I didn't decide on pre-med till just after graduating college. It's not a problem, you just have to show that you are committed and know what you are getting in to by having a ton of medical volunteering and shadowing.