230s step neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoyomama88

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like most neurosurgery programs are at university hospitals, so I'm not sure there are any safeties in the NS Match...Anyone know what the odds are of matching in NS with a 232 Step 1 score.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like most neurosurgery programs are at university hospitals, so I'm not sure there are any safeties in the NS Match...Anyone know what the odds are of matching in NS with a 232 Step 1 score.

I think it depends on a lot... not just step one score... I don't think the score will disqualify you from most programs... but consider that you will be competing with a lot of folks with higher scores... according to the charting outcomes, in 2011... 39 US seniors applied to NS with scores of 221-230... and of those 32 matched... so not bad in my opinion... sitting at 232... about 82% shot - but I say that you have to make your application stand out.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

From a higher up at my school told us aspiring nsurg's that a lot of residency programs screen out below 240.

well obviously many don't screen below that number according to nrmp charting outcomes.

Also I have been looking at many cut-offs on Freida...most are 220, some are 230.

I'm sure there are plenty of elite programs in the mid 230s or at 240, but I already assumed that wasn't a possibility with my score regardless.

The question is, how important is the Step score once you're past a cut-off for a program?

Last edited: