25 yo non trad, contemplating MD/DO...and sometimes even PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevaznboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love some input from people.

Graduated 2 years ago from reputable college devoted to the pre-med track. Felt as if I did not have an open mind about other alternative careers in the health profession. Now working at a renowned hospital with great providers and mid levels, and sometimes consider PA as a very great option. Took the MCAT a few months ago to leave no regrets of having not taken it, and am admittedly still on the fence about applying MD preferably, or perhaps DO.

GPA - 3.6, sGPA a bit lower (have been taking more classes after graduation)
MCAT - 10 BS, 10 PS, but 8 V.... wish it was higher, but I am a first-generation US-born immigrant, bilingual, and admittedly not an avid reader
Not URM racially, but am very socioeconomically disadvantaged (sometimes would prefer to make money sooner for personal reasons - hence the inclination sometimes for PA)

Should I bother trying MD this year or just do the PA track which would require some additional non-pre-med prereqs? DO is an option too I suppose. All the while in the back of my mind, I recognize healthcare is changing and mid-levels stand to gain much from these changes.

Thanks guys! Please be friendly, already have enough on my plate as it is =)

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you want to make money sooner go the PA route. If your already telling yourself that you'd like to make money now, it might be a problem if you go MD/DO only because of the length. Do you want to dedicate 8+ years to medical training making little to no money? I say talk to doctors, PAs and even med students so that you can weigh your options. You don't want to do something and later regret it.

Would love some input from people.

Graduated 2 years ago from reputable college devoted to the pre-med track. Felt as if I did not have an open mind about other alternative careers in the health profession. Now working at a renowned hospital with great providers and mid levels, and sometimes consider PA as a very great option. Took the MCAT a few months ago to leave no regrets of having not taken it, and am admittedly still on the fence about applying MD preferably, or perhaps DO.

GPA - 3.6, sGPA a bit lower (have been taking more classes after graduation)
MCAT - 10 BS, 10 PS, but 8 V.... wish it was higher, but I am a first-generation US-born immigrant, bilingual, and admittedly not an avid reader
Not URM racially, but am very socioeconomically disadvantaged (sometimes would prefer to make money sooner for personal reasons - hence the inclination sometimes for PA)

Should I bother trying MD this year or just do the PA track which would require some additional non-pre-med prereqs? DO is an option too I suppose. All the while in the back of my mind, I recognize healthcare is changing and mid-levels stand to gain much from these changes.

Thanks guys! Please be friendly, already have enough on my plate as it is =)
Will you be happy being a PA? If you will always want more, always want to be the physician instead of the physician assistant, you should just bite the bullet and go MD/DO now. If you would be perfectly happy as a PA and not wish you were a physician, it is a very viable option and would get you working in medicine making decent money a lot sooner. It really is a personal question of what you want and what you are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Will you be happy being a PA? If you will always want more, always want to be the physician instead of the physician assistant, you should just bite the bullet and go MD/DO now. If you would be perfectly happy as a PA and not wish you were a physician, it is a very viable option and would get you working in medicine making decent money a lot sooner. It really is a personal question of what you want and what you are looking for.

Yeah, that really is the quarter of a million dollar question. I've been mulling over it for a while and feel like I need to pull the trigger already to a certain extent. I will try to take advantage of my job and seek out PAs and MDs and see what their insights are, though personally, I've also sorta come to the realization that this is something unfortunately you won't know for sure if you really enjoy or like it until you're fully there and doing it yourself.

Making money for myself and my immediate family now would give me some sense of joy and comfort in being self-sufficient finally and able to give back to my blue-collar parents who've worked so hard for me, but it really is tough to figure out if that sense of joy and comfort will be long-term and sustainable once I've made that money. I work with many PAs and they are nothing short of happy, and the same goes for MDs too - I will try to pick their brains and see what they say.

Do you guys think I have a remote chance at MD though if I elect to pursue that route? I know PA is def a viable option for sure, given my stats - I would just need a few more classes, as annoying as that sounds.

What are you doing for work right now at the hospital? Would it count as "patient care" for PA school purposes (and they are sometimes pick about what counts and what doesn't)? If not, I suppose that makes your decision easier...

What are you doing for work right now at the hospital? Would it count as "patient care" for PA school purposes (and they are sometimes pick about what counts and what doesn't)? If not, I suppose that makes your decision easier...

Yeah....I still need a few more classes too for the PA route (I think at least 2 to be exact) and the GREs I suppose. Unfortunately my current job would not qualify, at least for the picky schools you mentioned - what I do 'technically' isn't hands-on direct patient exposure unfortunately - it's going to be interesting subjecting myself to doing tedious EKGs and vitals on patients all day just to get relevant hours. No way around it I suppose.

Decide first if you really really want to be a physician. If you can't talk yourself out of it, then apply MD/DO.
If you fall in love with the PA track, go for it. It's a lot less stress... They are some of the happiest students I know. They will be practicing when I am only halfway done with school with a residency looming over my head. I don't regret my decision but if your priority is to start working, that's the way to go. There are PAs out there who wish they had gone the MD/DO track but you will find that "grass is greener" mentality in every profession. Some will tell you they wish they had gone as far as possible but seriously, the MD/DO route is like a life calling more than a profession. If you have any doubts, don't do it. Wait until you are sure.

Yeah true, it definitely is a calling. There are days I wake up and think I will be happy doing it, and then there are days I'm a bit more hesitant. I guess it's only natural to feel this way, since there are some obvious upsides to the profession, but definitely some more downsides now given the looming changes to healthcare soon. Too bad there's no undo button on life lol.

What do you think my chances are at MD? GPA is average, and the MCAT verbal is definitely a bit suckish, at least with the 8...I did go to a school that has a medical school, so I guess I will definitely apply there.

Check out this article:

becky wai-ling packard & maureen e. babineau "from drafter to engineer, doctor to nurse: an examination of career compromise as renegotiated by working-class adults over time" in journal of career development vol 25 no 3 mar 2009 ps 207-227

it talks about the same issues you are dealing with. doesn't give you the details you want to make your decision with, but may be a helpful read in terms of knowing how others have gone through the same process. a *good* mentor that you click with is key, to get the guidance you are looking for. maybe look at your local med school? diversity office? economic disadvantage is an area that the diversity office wants to cover usually. they may be able to give you some good knowledge?