Non-trad MD worth it to do EM and global health?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad(Social)Scientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker on SDN, but this is my first post.

I am a 40yo public health researcher with a PhD, trained as a social scientist. I started college at 17 as a pre-med but nearly failed physics my first semester - I was devastated because I figured I wouldn't be able to excel on the MCAT, so I switched to medical anthropology and continued to pursue medicine-adjacent research since. I have deeply regretted not sticking with it and doing an MD/PhD type program. Every few years, I revisit the possibility of trying to go to med school, but I talk myself out of it because all the things: I have a family to support, I have a job that pays ok, I already have a good bit of student loan debt that will hopefully be forgiven soon, etc.

But while I love public health as a field, I don't love research or sitting on a screen all day. I am bored out of my mind. I need to be doing something more applied, fast-paced, and hands-on. I love working with people, leading a team, solving problems, figuring things out, thinking on my feet. I need to see tangible results from my work. I think I'd really enjoy the work of a physician, especially doing emergency medicine or critical care and/or working in global contexts (like humanitarian work, MSF, etc).

I guess my question is, is it crazy to go to med school at this point to do EM (high paying but maybe too fast or stressful for an older non-trad) and global disaster response (relatively low paying or even unpaid volunteering)?

Or should I pursue something else hands-on that can get me working in the field or in emergency contexts?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for your inquiry!

While the decision is yours to determine, I would suggest doing what you enjoy but including your significant other in the decision making process.

I would suggest shadowing a physician in the ED to determine if it really is what you enjoy. Similarly consider shadowing in the ICU.

In my medical school the oldest individual started at age 50. I graduate medical school around the age of 40.

Realize that you will spend quite a bit of time in front of a computer as a physician.

Having physician credentials may provide you with opportunities to provide care to patients in international missions. I have deployed with NDMS with mission in the US, including support for several tribes.

Do you have a mentor that you might be able to discuss your thoughts? Consider finding one if you have not. Many of the folks on this board would welcome the opportunity to provide their thoughts/perspective.

It is not crazy to go to medical school if it is the right choice for you. I am losing about $1.5 million doing medicine, as when I entered I was employed as an IT consultant and it was only after 13 years as an Emergency Physician that my hourly rate equaled what I was billing for as an IT consultant. Consider the non-financial stressors of a new career as mentioned earlier. Less time with significant other, children, family. Limited ability to change the course of your healthcare systems processes, etc. Life is too short, and do want to live with constant regret? With that being said, will you regret not spending time with family if you decide to make the change? Regret can go both ways.

My choice to do medicine was a good one. I enjoy what I do, and am very happy I made the decision I did. Before making the choice to start medical school, I made sure my wife was on board as she had to carry alot of the load from medical school as well (e.g. child care, chores, etc). I would strongly encourage to make sure that you have the support of your significant other.

Wook

Reactions: 1 user
Is it crazy generally for someone your age to go to med school? No, so long as you can do it in a financially reasonably way. I had three classmates around your age when I was in med school. One of them is an orthopod, and the other two are EM, and as far as I could tell in school they were above average students. But I’d strongly advise you to keep an open mind in regards to specialty choice. EM is kinda a mess these days, and the trajectory of the situation is worsening, not improving. Preventive medicine and occupational medicine residencies exist, and both have emphasis on public health. But ultimately you’ll have plenty of time to consider a specialty when you’re in school and especially when you’re doing clinical rotations.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am a 40yo public health researcher with a PhD, trained as a social scientist. I started college at 17 as a pre-med but nearly failed physics my first semester - I was devastated because I figured I wouldn't be able to excel on the MCAT, so I switched to medical anthropology and continued to pursue medicine-adjacent research since. I have deeply regretted not sticking with it and doing an MD/PhD type program. Every few years, I revisit the possibility of trying to go to med school, but I talk myself out of it because all the things: I have a family to support, I have a job that pays ok, I already have a good bit of student loan debt that will hopefully be forgiven soon, etc.

But while I love public health as a field, I don't love research or sitting on a screen all day. I am bored out of my mind. I need to be doing something more applied, fast-paced, and hands-on. I love working with people, leading a team, solving problems, figuring things out, thinking on my feet. I need to see tangible results from my work. I think I'd really enjoy the work of a physician, especially doing emergency medicine or critical care and/or working in global contexts (like humanitarian work, MSF, etc).

I guess my question is, is it crazy to go to med school at this point to do EM (high paying but maybe too fast or stressful for an older non-trad) and global disaster response (relatively low paying or even unpaid volunteering)?

Or should I pursue something else hands-on that can get me working in the field or in emergency contexts?

Medicine is an option, but what about instead of public health research, doing applied public health work? you could do something that gets you running programs and having larger population level impacts. You’d get to work with lots of people, lead teams, do humanitarian work, extensive problem solving, see tangible results of your work, etc. Lots of variations on jobs that would let you do that without a full 7 more years of intensive training. You’d likely need a little more training but nothing near that much.

Reactions: 2 users
I need to be doing something more applied, fast-paced, and hands-on. I love working with people, leading a team, solving problems, figuring things out, thinking on my feet. I need to see tangible results from my work.
This describes a lot of jobs, including working in restaurants.

Many of us carry around these what-ifs through our lives. Sometimes it pays to listen to them, but going to medical school at this point would be declaring thermonuclear war on any personal stability and financial security you currently enjoy.

Perhaps you could get certified as an EMT and get your hands dirty doing that. It may be illuminating.

• Love
Yes. I see someone running away from thier own field, NOT running TO Medicine.

Try volunteering with patients and see if your desire is real.

Hi all,

Just something to consider… many of us physicians are trying to get I it if medicine or at least get some sort of side hustle - like real estate…

Also the activities you’re mentioning - the save the world sorts of things, are very hard to do with a family, pay absolutely nothing, are inherently traumatic (MSF people get serious ptsd), and are of very mixed utility for the target countries. EM and CC are really high burnout fields and very tough on your body and mind, especially as we age. Personally I think your aspirations are missing the full picture of how much being a physician can suck.

On the upside you’re mature so you, with shadowing a bit, can realistically chat with the physicians to see what things are really like.

I love much of my job as a physician but there are major downsides. I think many people (myself included) when going into medicine confound personal identity with our jobs. There’s so much more to life and identity than what we do at work…

If I were you I’d probably wouldn’t go into medicine. Rather, I’d explore a side hustle where your interests might otherwise align - and then maybe turn that into a full time job.

Hi all,

If you have alternatives, then pursue them. I think medicine is such a stressful endeavor that you kind of need to want to subject yourself to it. I'm older than you and in a post bacc right now. Conditional acceptance at an age where most would advise me to rethink my priorities. I have such an overwhelming urge/commitment/passion that I really do not see any other way for me. I think the older you get- the more you should be able to reason why this is the right path for you.
My biggest sadness is that I wont be a doctor who can practice for 50 years. Im just too old but Ill make sure Im the best doctor I can be fo the time that I will be able to practice.
You should shadow if you can. I worked in healthcare for four years and I saw the downside of medicine. You need an actual real-world perspective. Shadow where you can and how you can.
All the best.

Reactions: 1 users
I am afraid you will not find what you are looking for in medicine. I think it’s fair to say many of us experience a good deal of disillusionment with this field. I truly do not think it would be worth the cost (financially and otherwise) in your position. I went through medical school and now residency with a family. It is very hard and it touches everyone’s lives who you are close to. Although I felt this was my calling, the thought constantly seeps into my mind that I made the wrong choice. People often think about applying to medical school with the idea of going into a certain field without realizing that there is no guarantee you will get your top choice. You can basically walk into EM these days but in cases with more competitive fields, you take a risk and have to be at peace with the fact you may not get your preferred specialty.

Wow, thank you everyone for your thoughtful replies. I didn't get notified that I had responses so I'm just now seeing them.

I am worried I will regret not going into medicine - I have always thought it was what I was "supposed" to do, or a calling of sorts. I love medicine, the body, science, diagnostics ... but I take the point that maybe it's not in the cards for me at this point in life and there might be better options that may even be a better fit in terms of lifestyle, finances, impact, etc.

Thanks for the food for thought. I'm really glad I asked.

I am worried I will regret not going into medicine - I have always thought it was what I was "supposed" to do, or a calling of sorts. I love medicine, the body, science, diagnostics ...
this is the exact reason I went into and continue to stay in medicine. That, and I am too far in and have too much debt lol. Kidding aside, I don’t subscribe to the “it’s just a job” position because nobody in their right mind would go through all of this just for the sake of having a job. I was told early on that if you cannot see yourself doing anything else, then go into medicine. I was also in my mid-20s and single at the time. Nobody has all the facts to fully judge your situation. If you pursue this, you are going to have to figure out how to be a husband and father through all of it and I can say that the time sacrificed with my wife and kids is the number one thing that makes this feel “not worth it”. The work and the hours in and of themselves do not bother me. OK sometimes the work definitely bothers me but nowhere near as much as not seeing my kids for days. They supersede any job or vocational calling. Also, your point about loving medicine as a body, science was exactly what I thought only to get here to realize that most of my day involves sitting in front of a computer, placing orders, DOCUMENTING ENDLESSLY, making/answering phone calls, and fighting with the EMR. Hence the disillusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.