28 MCAT and 3.65 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uafl112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying next cycle
MCAT: 28 (might retake) - 9/9/10
CGPA: 3.65 (expected to be 3.75 or above by the time of applying) sGPA: 3.55 (3.6 when applying)

Extra Curricular:
Volunteering

-over 100 hours as a volunteer at Moffitt Cancer Center
-4+ years of volunteering at Project Downtown (homeless advocacy organization)
-100 hours of volunteer work with SJP (Palestinian advocacy organization)
-100 hours of shadowing 3 different doctors (ENT surgeon, Neurologist, and Cardiologist)
Leadership
-Co-founded and currently the Vice President of the USF Special Olympics club - 2 years by the time of applying
-President of the Water for Peace Benefit concert - 1 year by the time of applying
-Marketing Director for USF Center of Student Involvement - 1 year by the time of applying
Research
-
Did Histology work at the Byrd Alzheimer's Institute under Dr. Lee - 1 semester by the time of applying
-Started a clinical research project regarding the effects of cannabis on Lou Gehrig's disease under Dr. Vu -1 year by the time of applying
Recreational
-
I have been doing Brazilian Jiujitsu as a sport since the beginning of my college career - 4 years when I apply

Any other necessary information that I should provide?

Would this be good enough for DO schools? Im scared I wont be able to get in. Which schools would I be most competitive for? Also, am I making a mistake by waiting till next cycle to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

CGPA: 3.65 (expected to be 3.75 or above by the time of applying) sGPA: 3.55 (3.6 when applying)

Extra Curricular:
Volunteering

-100 hours of shadowing 3 different doctors (ENT surgeon, Neurologist, and Cardiologist)
Leadership
-Co-founded and currently the Vice President of the USF Special Olympics club - 2 years by the time of applying
-President of the Water for Peace Benefit concert - 1 year by the time of applying
-Marketing Director for USF Center of Student Involvement - 1 year by the time of applying
Research
-
Did Histology work at the Byrd Alzheimer's Institute under Dr. Lee - 1 semester by the time of applying
-Started a clinical research project regarding the effects of cannabis on Lou Gehrig's disease under Dr. Vu -1 year by the time of applying
Recreational
-
I have been doing Brazilian Jiujitsu as a sport since the beginning of my college career - 4 years when I apply

Would this be good enough for DO schools? Im scared I wont be able to get in. Which schools would I be most competitive for? Also, am I making a mistake by waiting till next cycle to apply?
Why not apply now? You will probably get interviews everywhere!

Members don't see this ad :)
You will get into DO schools, most definitely.

-I have been doing Brazilian Jiujitsu as a sport since the beginning of my college career - 4 years when I apply

Have you done any research on any school's admissions page? You're right in the middle of the pack (definitely slightly better considering extensive ECs) of every accepted student body.

Just make sure you bring your best peruvian necktie to the interview.

Reactions: 1 users

Extra Curricular:
Volunteering

Leadership
Research
-
Recreational
-

Here is the link that describes how to do a "what are my chances post."

There were over 16,000 applicants last year just through AACOMAS. Imagine if everyone started a new thread. It would be SDN idiocracy.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a quick question....how do you plan on raising your GPA of a 3.65 to a 3.75 in just one year? In regards to your original post, your stats are in-line with competitive DO school applicants. - Admissions Advice Online

Extra Curricular:
Volunteering

Leadership
Research
-
Recreational
-

Hey that's pretty interesting! How has that project turned out for you?

Also you have some pretty incredible EC's! I wouldn't retake that MCAT as it's very well balanced and if anything I would try and find a DO to shadow or PCP! You're set bud!

Just a quick question....how do you plan on raising your GPA of a 3.65 to a 3.75 in just one year? In regards to your original post, your stats are in-line with competitive DO school applicants. - Admissions Advice Online

Well I was gonna retake a class that I completely neglected in my freshmen year (calc 3) and if I get an A, thats gonna bring me up .1 (according to my calculations). Also, I have 1 more year of classes and hopeful thinking says that if I get an A, it will be a high 3.7 (IF I get an A in all my classes)

Have you done any research on any school's admissions page? You're right in the middle of the pack (definitely slightly better considering extensive ECs) of every accepted student body.

Just make sure you bring your best peruvian necktie to the interview.

lol im pretty sure the peruvian necktie will convince them if I cant

Hey that's pretty interesting! How has that project turned out for you?

Also you have some pretty incredible EC's! I wouldn't retake that MCAT as it's very well balanced and if anything I would try and find a DO to shadow or PCP! You're set bud!

Well the research has just started. We still have to bring the project off the ground since Marijuana is still illegal in FL. Currently my job is to just make a survey that assess the Lou Gehrig patients who use Marijuana recreationaly and ask them if they honestly think it works, and if so, what symptoms have they seen relieved.

Now I didnt wanna apply this cycle because I still havent shadowed a DO doc and I wanted to bring my GPA up. Also, I wanted more experience with these ECs. However, if I wait, will the competition get too crazy for my stats? Also, if I apply by the end of July, will I still be competitive?

Fine for any DO school, including mine.

Extra Curricular:
Volunteering

Leadership
Research
-
Recreational
-

Fine for any DO school, including mine.

If I finish my application by the end of july, will I still be as competitive? Will I be competitive if I wait until the next cycle or will the competition be stronger?

If I finish my application by the end of july, will I still be as competitive? Will I be competitive if I wait until the next cycle or will the competition be stronger?
You have the numbers and EC to get into any DO program right now. I don't see why you'll want to wait, unless you want to retake to go MD. If you apply later than November, you'll start getting into trouble. July/August is more than fine. The competition for the past 10+ years has increased yearly. How much it'll increase for next year is impossible to predict.

Quit fussing and start applying!
i have a a rough draft personal statement written that was intended for MD schools. I have to shorten the amount of characters but my main question is, do I have to mention "why DO?"

i have a a rough draft personal statement written that was intended for MD schools. I have to shorten the amount of characters but my main question is, do I have to mention "why DO?"

No

And what is exactly considered "economically disadvantaged"? My Dad makes about 24,000 dollars a year. Is that considered disadvantaged?