WAMC 3.65/509 + school recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mobile123

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am planning on applying In 2024, and am trying to work on a school list. I don't know if I should be applying MD or DO and am hoping for some guidance on my school list. Thanks!!

GPA: cGPA: 3.65, sGPA: slightly lower, maybe 3.55

MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 509 (126/126/127/130)

State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): PA

Ethnicity and/or race: White, but child of immigrants (English wasn't first language)

School: T100, public university

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 30 hrs hospital volunteering, Home health aide (almost 2,000 hours, 2 medical assistant jobs (550hrs and 480 hours)

Research experience and productivity: 345 hours summer internship, stayed in that lab another year (270ish hours), clinical research (projected 150 hours)

Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 15 hrs primary care, 16 hrs integrative med

Non-clinical volunteering/ leadership: 1000hrs nonprofit work, 30hrs disability mentor, 100hrs club exec position

Other: Deans list, scholarship, several awards through nonprofit work, teaching assistant one semester, research club member

Potential school list (MD only as of right now): Penn State, Drexel, Pitt, Geisenger, Wake Forest, West Virginia, Duke, Rush, Loyola, Sidney Kimmel, Tulane, Rutgers, Georgetown, George Washington, FIU, Nova Md, Ohio State, eastern virginia, virginia commonwealth, Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad.

Rutgers, FIU, Ohio State admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Duke is not realistic with a MCAT of 509.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Geisinger
Pittsburgh
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Hackensack
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
PCOM
LECOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
AZCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers, FIU, Ohio State admit few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. Duke is not realistic with a MCAT of 509.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Geisinger
Pittsburgh
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Hackensack
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
For DO schools I suggest these:
PCOM
LECOM
MU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
AZCOM
They would be below the 10th percentile MCAT/GPA for in-state applicants at Pittsburgh without any X factor (URM, Military, etc) - why would they be recommended to apply if you don't mind sharing? Do you think that it's worth an application just because IS?

They would be below the 10th percentile MCAT/GPA for in-state applicants at Pittsburgh without any X factor (URM, Military, etc) - why would they be recommended to apply if you don't mind sharing? Do you think that it's worth an application just because IS?
Pittsburgh interviews twice as many PA residents compared to non residents (~20% vs ~10% who complete secondaries)

Pittsburgh interviews twice as many PA residents compared to non residents (~20% vs ~10% who complete secondaries)

Yeah but that only really indicates it’s a pure stats based decision for IS applicants. They would still be 2 points below the 10th percentile MCAT. Do you think regardless in that case it’s still worth submitting as a super reach since 25% is so high?

Yeah but that only really indicates it’s a pure stats based decision for IS applicants. They would still be 2 points below the 10th percentile MCAT. Do you think regardless in that case it’s still worth submitting as a super reach since 25% is so high?
Yes.

Reactions: 1 user