2nd year WesternU Podiatry Student Ask Me Anything (AMA)!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toetotoe07

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I am a current second year student at Western University of Health Sciences, College of Podiatric Medicine (WUCPM). Ask me anything you‘d like!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much course work is directed at understanding nail fungus and possible treatments? Or is the more of a 3rd year clinical thing?
Throughout the first year, you start by learning about nail anatomy in the first semester, then move onto nail pathologies, which include a wide range of diseases, syndromes, and/or conditions that can contribute to certain nail looks and deformities of the nail, in the second semester. Nail fungus probably covers about a quarter of the nail pathology section. You learn about common causes, risk factors, and treatments. In my opinion, we learn a lot about testing for fungus and how to treat it. Hope that helps :)

Throughout the first year, you start by learning about nail anatomy in the first semester, then move onto nail pathologies, which include a wide range of diseases, syndromes, and/or conditions that can contribute to certain nail looks and deformities of the nail, in the second semester. Nail fungus probably covers about a quarter of the nail pathology section. You learn about common causes, risk factors, and treatments. In my opinion, we learn a lot about testing for fungus and how to treat it. Hope that helps :)
I appreciate your response. I was just being a jerk here. Nobody cares about nail fungus. Do nothing, lamisil or see another podiatrist who will charge you cash for something that won't work or will defraud Medicare. But this is your future! Good luck! Your school would be better off teaching you something that matters, like total ankle indications and SMOs. Iykyk

Reactions: 1 users
How are the community service opportunities in your first/second year? The area has a high unhoused population so do you get any organized opportunities to provide care?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user