3.0 GPA, 3.0 sGPA, few ECs, no MCAT – what now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hannibal_of_Antiquity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After 4 years of a disappointing undergraduate career, I’ve realized that I’m just not competitive for US medical schools. I’m looking for any advice on how I can reinvent myself. I’m setting my goal at getting into a mid tier US allopathic medical school.

3.0 GPA, 3.0sGPA, no MCAT

- major: Biology at a large public university

- 5 years working part time

- tutoring experience

- 20 hours of physician shadowing

My question is two-fold: can post-graduate level study make up for my very mediocre undergraduate GPA and what should I prioritize in terms of extra-curricular activities? Most friends that I know who applied to medical school or got accepted have extensive volunteer work in hospitals and multiple years of clinical research. I just feel so far behind in the game – I’m just looking for a plan to make myself a competent applicant.

Regarding post-graduate work, I’m considering: Post-bacc program, SMP, or other Masters program. It seems to me like I have a lot to make up for, so would be a stretch to say that I would need at least a 2-year Masters Program or 4-year graduate program to prove that I can handle a tough science-based course load and produce a high GPA?

Regarding ECs, should I give priority to volunteering, shadowing, or clinical research?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.
For ECs, you need to show your altruism and humanism, plus show that you want to be around sick people for the next 40 years.

My question is two-fold: can post-graduate level study make up for my very mediocre undergraduate GPA and what should I prioritize in terms of extra-curricular activities?

There are 1-2 year SMPs that will be fine. You don't need to redo a 4year program. See above for what you need to have for ECs. Basically, lots of volunteer work, both clinical and non-clinical

Regarding post-graduate work, I’m considering: Post-bacc program, SMP, or other Masters program. It seems to me like I have a lot to make up for, so would be a stretch to say that I would need at least a 2-year Masters Program or 4-year graduate program to prove that I can handle a tough science-based course load and produce a high GPA?

Regarding ECs, should I give priority to volunteering, shadowing, or clinical research?[/quote]

Any decent SMP should require you take the MCAT first. Proceeding to annihilate the SMP (in a good way) is enough to show AdComs you have the academic vigor to succeed in medical school, and have done a full 180 from your undergraduate performance. The best SMPs have strong ties to their medical school, and some even offer automatic interviews if you meet certain criteria within their program (i.e., 3.5+ GPA in the program, 30+ MCAT).

Your ECs should be excellent prior to applying to the SMP, because good SMPs take up all your time. Volunteerism and shadowing are absolute requisites. Clinical research is good, but not required.

That said, SMPs are a one-shot deal and if you don't perform well, you've shown AdComs you can't handle first-year medical school work. SMPs are also notoriously expensive. If you have the time, and funds are limited, the postbacc is also a good route to take. And while not all schools look upon SMPs favorably (or even know what they are), AMCAS will include any postbacc work into your uGPA. I have yet to encounter a school that does not take postbacc work into consideration.

Or, you could combine the two. Take some postbacc classes to prep for the MCAT. Get a good MCAT score, and apply to a top SMP. Good luck!

After 4 years of a disappointing undergraduate career, I’ve realized that I’m just not competitive for US medical schools. I’m looking for any advice on how I can reinvent myself. I’m setting my goal at getting into a mid tier US allopathic medical school.

3.0 GPA, 3.0sGPA, no MCAT

- major: Biology at a large public university

- 5 years working part time

- tutoring experience

- 20 hours of physician shadowing

My question is two-fold: can post-graduate level study make up for my very mediocre undergraduate GPA and what should I prioritize in terms of extra-curricular activities? Most friends that I know who applied to medical school or got accepted have extensive volunteer work in hospitals and multiple years of clinical research. I just feel so far behind in the game – I’m just looking for a plan to make myself a competent applicant.

Regarding ECs, should I give priority to volunteering, shadowing, or clinical research?

SMP's are good. Avoid doing a regular master's program, as most of them are grade inflated, so many schools do not take the GPA from those seriously.