3.0 uGPA downward trend.Work as software engineer-want to try DO or MD. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabbit888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
gone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My first piece of advice is any class you got a D of F in absolutely needs to be retaken, if you can retake those with Cs, that would also be great. What is your science GPA, specifically? As much as med schools do look at life experience, ECs, etc. you still have to be able to prove you can handle the heavy science the first 2 years entail.
Also, how do you know you want to by a physician? Have you ever worked side-by-side any or shadowed them? If not, I think that should be something you do quite a bit of before applying. I believe your heart is entirely in the right place, but just wanted to do something altruistic that pays decently is not enough. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to.

First of all, smccreery, thanks for replying! Really appreciate it. It's scary putting myself out here like this but really, any advice is going to be taken to heart and appreciated.
What is your science GPA, specifically? .
My science GPA is 2.8. I will try to retake classes that I did poorly in. Most of them of higher leve. Do you know if I have to retake them from my university? My uni is small and private and really expensive. But if that's the case, it's not a major deterrent either.

Also, how do you know you want to by a physician? Have you ever worked side-by-side any or shadowed them? If not, I think that should be something you do quite a bit of before applying. I believe your heart is entirely in the right place, but just wanted to do something
altruistic that pays decently is not enough. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to.
You know, that's a good question. Beyond being inclined to science and having a strong yearning to mimic the compassion and knowledge seen from my brother's doctors, I don't have much personal experience in terms of shadowing and the like. I will look into that too.

Again, thanks for your input! I'm at a point in life where I can take a concerted approach about what actions I want to take moving forward. I just wanted to know if there's a snowball's chance in hell before I embark on the long journey of all I need to do before apply for DO/MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, smccreery, thanks for replying! Really appreciate it. It's scary putting myself out here like this but really, any advice is going to be taken to heart and appreciated.

My science GPA is 2.8. I will try to retake classes that I did poorly in. Most of them of higher leve. Do you know if I have to retake them from my university? My uni is small and private and really expensive. But if that's the case, it's not a major deterrent either.

You know, that's a good question. Beyond being inclined to science and having a strong yearning to mimic the compassion and knowledge seen from my brother's doctors, I don't have much personal experience in terms of shadowing and the like. I will look into that too.

Again, thanks for your input! I'm at a point in life where I can take a concerted approach about what actions I want to take moving forward. I just wanted to know if there's a snowball's chance in hell before I embark on the long journey of all I need to do before apply for DO/MD.

I agree, start retaking classes that you did poorly in as it will help both your AMCAS/AACOMAS gpa. Make sure to retake classes which are the same credit hour or more(example: you failed phys 101, 3 credits the first time, retake phys 101 anywhere where the credit value is 3+). Make sure to ease yourself in as you do not want to overload yourself before you can see what you are capable of. Find volunteer/clinical experience(EMT/Medical Scribe/free clinic/CNA/ER volunteer etc) with a focus on long term commitment to obtain good letters. Wait on everything else until you begin moving forward and come back to ask for more. Make sure that your issues are resolved prior to beginning your journey and see a therapist regarding previous trauma as needed.