3.10 cGPA 3.37 sGPA and a 23 on MCAT Chances for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jncon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores back and they were lower then I was hoping for. I got a 23 (7ps 8 verbal and 8 bs). I have already applied to four schools back in November (LMU, ACOM, KyCOM, and PCOM GA) they were just waiting on my MCAT scores. My GPA has a strict upward trend, I had a bumpy start because I was working full time to put myself through school and support myself. I recently graduated with a double major in biology and chemistry and a minor in Spanish.

My EC'S are
1 year biology research
1 year biochemistry research
50 hours clinical volunteer in hospital
50 hours volunteer work (boys and girls club)
2 years an anatomy TA.
Worked full time all through school.
Over 1000 hours clinical experience as a phlebotomist in a major hospital
Shadowed a DO 30 hours
Shadowed two MD's about 60 hours total
Lab Technician at a pharmaceutical company
In a Fraternity and held various positions
and societies like chemistry society and tri beta.
Good LORs one from the DO I shadowed, 2 from science professors and one from an MD.

Do I have any chance or should I retake the MCAT or do an SMP? Should I apply late to VCOM auburn as well? I am also retaking a few undergrad classes this semester and if I get all a's it will bump my science GPA up to a 3.7 and my cGPA around 3.5 with grade replacement.

Thanks for any advice!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe that the MCAT score might pre-screen you out of many programs, unfortunately. I would definitely advise a retake.

See what happens in the next few weeks and at the same time start studying for a retake. If you don't get in retake and reapply. But apply before November. Why did you apply so late? Why did you take the MCAT so late or was it a retake?

Members don't see this ad :)
That was the earliest I could take it because of work and school. So no SMP program as well just a retake?

I was originally planning on applying in June but I decided to apply late this cycle to see what would happen. Worst case scenario I wouldn't get in

Your best chances will be with the newest schools.

I just got my MCAT scores back and they were lower then I was hoping for. I got a 23 (7ps 8 verbal and 8 bs). I have already applied to four schools back in November (LMU, ACOM, KyCOM, and PCOM GA) they were just waiting on my MCAT scores. My GPA has a strict upward trend, I had a bumpy start because I was working full time to put myself through school and support myself. I recently graduated with a double major in biology and chemistry and a minor in Spanish.

My EC'S are
1 year biology research
1 year biochemistry research
50 hours clinical volunteer in hospital
50 hours volunteer work (boys and girls club)
2 years an anatomy TA.
Worked full time all through school.
Over 1000 hours clinical experience as a phlebotomist in a major hospital
Shadowed a DO 30 hours
Shadowed two MD's about 60 hours total
Lab Technician at a pharmaceutical company
In a Fraternity and held various positions
and societies like chemistry society and tri beta.
Good LORs one from the DO I shadowed, 2 from science professors and one from an MD.

Do I have any chance or should I retake the MCAT or do an SMP? Should I apply late to VCOM auburn as well? I am also retaking a few undergrad classes this semester and if I get all a's it will bump my science GPA up to a 3.7 and my cGPA around 3.5 with grade replacement.

Thanks for any advice!!

Your best chances will be with the newest schools.
Goro do you think it would be wiser to retake the MCAT or do a special masters program that has linkage? I interviewed Monday at my top picks and I'm waiting to hear back.

Retake MCAT
Do you think it would help my application to also take graduate school classes in the fall along with retaking my mcat? The classes could be free I just have to teach intro biology and chemistry labs .

The classes would fall under a masters of environmental science but they are advanced physiology and toxicology