WAMC (URM, Re-App, 3.37 sGPA, 3.438 cGPA, 515+ MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtig_23

Reaction score
26 year old, Non-traditional, Low Income, Black male, Re-applicant, FL Residence

First application was thrown in late (Oct 31) with lots of errors, poor letters of rec, and a poorly written PS.
This cycle the application is much better: No errors, well written descriptions and PS, and submitted early (end of this week).

Stats:

3.37 sGPA with a positive academic trend
3.438 cGPA with a positive trend

496 original MCAT score from last year, however on track to make between a 515-520 this test (I test in July but debating on pushing until August)

While in college, I had to be the parent for my younger siblings, father is a severe alcoholic, and had to contribute to household income which meant I couldn't only focus on my school.

Research (1,500 hours)
- Ad hoc Reviewer for the Journal of Cancer Education
- 1 Publication as a Primary Author
- 3 Poster Presentations at the American Association for Cancer Research

Work Experience [12,000 hours; 6,000 are direct patient care; 3,000 are directly participating in procedures]
- Co-founded a Nonprofit that provided free breast imaging to Medically Underserved Communities via a mobile mammography unit
-Worked in an outpatient Diagnostic Radiology Clinic

Shadowing (1,000 hours)
- Shadowed different specialties (Radiology, ER, General Surgery, Psychiatry, General Practice, Oncology) both here and out of the country to develop cultural sensitivity and view medicine outside of the United States

Volunteering (1,000 hours both clinical and non-clinical)
-400 of these hours were as an Academic Tutor at my university for a Science Course

I'm hoping to remain MD as I would prefer MD over DO. I have been accepted to a few post-bacc programs, two SMP programs (where I take classes alongside medical students), or I have the opportunity to move to Houston and continue doing research with MD Anderson. I am not sure if the Post-bacc or SMP are necessary with my background, EC's, and projected MCAT score. Looking for guidance on best decision to make as well. Also the dream is to go to a Texas (Houston) Medical School but I am not sure if possible with my GPA.

Edit for Clarity: No Interviews previous cycle. After Spending an obscene amount of money on consultants and speaking with them, they all have independently said it was due to the errors in the application (mislabeled courses, courses entered twice, courses attached to the wrong semester), lateness of the application, and low MCAT. They have all also said that they don't see why I wouldn't get in, even to a Texas school if I scored a 515+ but wanting to gain as much insight as I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you receive any interviews in your previous cycle ?
I have edited my post to contain more information-please read. No Interviews previous cycle. After spending an obscene amount of money on consultants and speaking with them, they all have independently said it was due to the errors in the application (mislabeled courses, courses entered twice, courses attached to the wrong semester), lateness of the application, and low MCAT. They have all also said that they don't see why I wouldn't get in, even to a Texas school if I scored a 515+ but wanting to gain as much insight as I can.

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a ~25% for a MD acceptance. With your current MCAT of 496 you are limited to a few MD schools. You realize the importance of an early application so apply this month. If your new MCAT is significantly higher you can add more schools when your new score is available and which schools you can add will depend on that score.
With your current stats you can submit your application and include these schools:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew (probably your best chance for an interview)
Florida State
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 496 and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 4 schools)
WCU-COM
ACOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a ~25% for a MD acceptance. With your current MCAT of 496 you are limited to a few MD schools. You realize the importance of an early application so apply this month. If your new MCAT is significantly higher you can add more schools when your new score is available and which schools you can add will depend on that score.
With your current stats you can submit your application and include these schools:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew (probably your best chance for an interview)
Florida State
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 496 and I suggest these:
PCOM (all schools)
VCOM (all 4 schools)
WCU-COM
ACOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
UIWSOM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
LMU-DCOM
BCOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you should receive interviews.
Thank you for the list, assuming I receive a 515 on my next MCAT, what schools would you add to this list?