MD & DO 3.1cGPA 3.5sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PremedHALP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, first time posting on here, sorry if my formatting is incorrect... 3.1cGPA 3.5sGPA (I assume this means final year?) 2 years working in a lab, but no publications. I started working as a full time medical scribe in an urgent care clinic this April and probably have around 1100 hours under my belt from that. I'm curious if that counts as both clinical and shadowing hours because of the nature of the job. I just took the MCAT in September 2015 and I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I haven't gotten my score back yet. I'm hoping to apply to out of state schools this cycle. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

cGPA = cumulative GPA (non-science + science) across all undergrad years
sGPA = science GPA across all undergrad years

It's a little late this cycle to be applying. Schools have already started sending out acceptances, so any remaining spots are going to be more and more competitive. It also takes roughly ~4 weeks for AMCAS to verify your application, and it won't be sent out to schools until then. So, the earliest your app would make it to schools would be mid-late November-ish. Many schools have secondary application deadlines that are very close to that date.

It's also really difficult to say anything without knowing what your actual MCAT score is. I think your best bet is to wait for the next cycle starting in summer 2016. During this time, focus on getting that cGPA up since it's getting a bit low for DO and is all but lethal for MD. Also, do you have any clinical and/or non-clinical volunteering? Scribing is a good way to get clinical hours in, but I think schools like to see shadowing hours as well.

The cGPA is lethal for MD schools and not great (but not lethal) for DO programs. Apply broadly and especially target the newest schools.

Hi guys, first time posting on here, sorry if my formatting is incorrect... 3.1cGPA 3.5sGPA (I assume this means final year?) 2 years working in a lab, but no publications. I started working as a full time medical scribe in an urgent care clinic this April and probably have around 1100 hours under my belt from that. I'm curious if that counts as both clinical and shadowing hours because of the nature of the job. I just took the MCAT in September 2015 and I'm feeling pretty good about it, but I haven't gotten my score back yet. I'm hoping to apply to out of state schools this cycle. What are my chances?