MD & DO 3.2 GPA 41 MCAT Need serious advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrodrig01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prior to transferring schools to finish my BS in chemistry, I had a 3.8 GPA. After moving, I dealt with anxiety and depression and my academics suffered. My GPA fell to 3.2. I scored a 41 on the MCAT but feel like my GPA might be my downfall. Science GPA is a 3.3 but 4.0 on all of the core med school pre reqs (gen chem, Orgo, physics, etc.). Unfortunately my science GPA was affected with my disaster academic performance after moving because of difficult classes like inorganic chem, physical chem, biophysics, etc.

I worked in a hospital for 3 years with direct patient contact prior to moving. Shadowed almost every physician in that place. Even assisted a very good heart surgeon who I consider my mentor with a case report. Have done research at both of the institutions that I have attended in several areas (polymer chemistry, analytical chemistry, and microbiology). Two published articles for polymers I synthesized, with one patent pending. A couple of talks at the American Chemical Society Regional and National meetings. Was also a chemistry tutor at my college for 2 years prior to moving.

I have 100 schools (a bit extreme, I know.) on a list that I thought I'd have a real chance to get into. I have saved the money for the applications and am ready to apply. I don't want to do a postbacc. I'm 24 years old and feel like the window is closing. Doing a postbacc I might also have to retake the mcat later on and that is something I do not want to do because of the big change that is happening.

Should I feel ok about my chances? Any advice helps, I'm at a huge crossroad here. Thanks in advanced for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not to mention that I never graduated from high school and have had to work extremely hard to get where I have gotten. I feel like I have a real story to tell but I know how things go. Most committees won't give a crap about any of that stuff, if I'm not some academic prodigy.

Prior to transferring schools to finish my BS in chemistry, I had a 3.8 GPA. After moving, I dealt with anxiety and depression and my academics suffered. My GPA fell to 3.2. I scored a 41 on the MCAT but feel like my GPA might be my downfall. Science GPA is a 3.3 but 4.0 on all of the core med school pre reqs (gen chem, Orgo, physics, etc.). Unfortunately my science GPA was affected with my disaster academic performance after moving because of difficult classes like inorganic chem, physical chem, biophysics, etc.

I worked in a hospital for 3 years with direct patient contact prior to moving. Shadowed almost every physician in that place. Even assisted a very good heart surgeon who I consider my mentor with a case report. Have done research at both of the institutions that I have attended in several areas (polymer chemistry, analytical chemistry, and microbiology). Two published articles for polymers I synthesized, with one patent pending. A couple of talks at the American Chemical Society Regional and National meetings. Was also a chemistry tutor at my college for 2 years prior to moving.

I have 100 schools (a bit extreme, I know.) on a list that I thought I'd have a real chance to get into. I have saved the money for the applications and am ready to apply. I don't want to do a postbacc. I'm 24 years old and feel like the window is closing. Doing a postbacc I might also have to retake the mcat later on and that is something I do not want to do because of the big change that is happening.

Should I feel ok about my chances? Any advice helps, I'm at a huge crossroad here. Thanks in advanced for the advice.
Are your anxiety and depression now under control?
Have your grades recovered (which helps to prove it)?
What ECs have you been involved in since moving to the new school, besides research? When did you take the MCAT?
Have you engaged in any nonmedical community service?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention that I never graduated from high school and have had to work extremely hard to get where I have gotten. I feel like I have a real story to tell but I know how things go. Most committees won't give a crap about any of that stuff, if I'm not some academic prodigy.
Med schools don't care about what happened with your HS academics.

I think that 41 will get you in somewhere, esp. for DO.

So you're practically a shoo-in for DO schools, so only add like 5 max of the best ones you like (if necessary). You're probably really solid for low and possibly mid tier MD schools, although your recent downward trend will kill you (but your MCAT should make up for that somewhat). Just follow what @Catalystik says and I think you're fine for MD. Also get the MSAR.