MD <3.2 uGPA, 4.0 postbacc, 40 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, like the title says, I had a bit of a rocky undergrad before that I realized that I wanted to go for medicine.
Organic chemistry major with thesis honors at a top school. Graduated with just under a 3.2., seesaw trend with a few horrid semesters (multiple C+s).

Since graduating and subsequently deciding to pursue medical school, I've taken ~24 credits, mostly upper-level Bio, during my postbacc, receiving a straight 4.0 in those mostly while working more than full-time.

So at this point, I stand as follows:

CA resident, with very strong ties to VA and medium-strong ties to MA
uGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.3
MCAT: 14/12/14 (40)
I do have an etOH related IA from freshman year (~7yrs will have passed by my application), no subsequent infractions.
ECs: (*indicates done before I began pursuing med)
- *Research: 1yr cancer research, 1yr genetics research, 1yr chemistry research with senior thesis and 2 posters. Possible paper in the works right now with the CEO/engineer at the biotech company I work at.
- *Leadership: 2yrs organizing my club athletics team, which also happened to be the largest student organization on campus (10% of the student body). 2yrs helping with the student organization for my major. 1yr as the supervisory RA for 25% of campus housing, with a role in student government.
- *4yrs of competitive club athletics, with 2 bids to the Nat'l championships (got 2nd once!)
- *Nonclinical volunteering: 50-75hrs of random, assorted activities. No consistent commitment or long-term activity, just multiple short activities (winterizing local homes, charity music events, etc.)
- Clinical volunteering: 200+hrs at a local children's hospital over 1yr. 100% 1-on-1 patient contact.
- Shadowing: 40hrs, mostly surgical specialties, some inpatient medicine, and an outpatient ortho clinic.
- Scribe: 1.5yrs of scribing in an emergency department, LOR from a closely supervising doc.
- *Employment: Multiple years of tutoring, TAing, and grading papers during ugrad. Lab jobs as described above under Research, also primarily under ugrad. 2yrs of employment at a biotech company post-graduation with diverse responsibilities. Odd jobs like food delivery, etc.
- Surgical Shadowing Program: Competitive program with hundreds of hours shadowing multiple surgical specialties, as well as an academic component, hands-on workshops, etc.
-*Hobbies: Musical instrument for ~10yrs, SCUBA, motorcycles, fixing my own car, snowboard, etc.
LORs: Committee letter from my uGrad, 1 from a prof I took several small courses with, 1 from my thesis professor, 1 from a postbacc professor, 1 from a physician at my current scribe position.

School list:
These programs were mentioned by Goro as rewarding reinvention:
Albany
Drexel
Case Western
Vanderbilt
BU
NYMC
SUNY-Upstate
Tulane
Wayne State
I have particular ties to VA and CA, so I was planning to add:
UVa
EVMS
VTech
VCU
Keck
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCSD
I may throw in a few of the ridiculous reach CA schools because they're close, so at most I lose the app fees.
A few more schools I'd like to throw in for various individual reasons:

Baylor
Mt Sinai
Mayo
Emory

So...any thoughts? Suggestions? I'd love to add some schools to this list which don't mind lower GPAs.
My school states that it will only help with apps to 20 schools, but I don't understand how they can do that...once they submit my committee letter to AMCAS, can't I just send it to whoever I want? Wouldn't it be better to pad my chances, given my rocky past?

It's been 2yrs since I decided to pursue this path, and I cannot believe that I'm finally at the stage where I can make a WAMC thread!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on what your school means by "help with apps" ?

Can you elaborate on what your school means by "help with apps" ?
Not at all...that's what I find odd about it. I mean, I know they go through a big, giant process to get what I've heard is a kick-ass committee letter, but as far as I can tell, that's the extent of their involvement. But as I said above, it makes zero sense that I could only use the committee letter for 20 schools, so I don't know what they mean by that. :shrug:

I suppose the phrasing is actually "we will support your applications"...but again, not to more than 20 schools, and then they state that you have to tell them if you for some reason feel the need to apply to more. I don't see why it is any of their business.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats what I'm trying to figure out...I don't see them being able to limit it? Strange...
But nonetheless your list looks good to me! I know less about schools that favor reinvention... I'm glad you scored how you expected!

No suggestions on school list? I know it's a bit of an app given my unbalanced stats and my recent decision to pursue medicine, but that's why I was hoping for some SDN wisdom!

No suggestions on school list? I know it's a bit of an app given my unbalanced stats and my recent decision to pursue medicine, but that's why I was hoping for some SDN wisdom!
Yeah, kinda difficult to make recommendations past beyond those you already have on your list

Yeah, kinda difficult to make recommendations past beyond those you already have on your list
Hey, even that is good to hear...If you guys think I'm on the right track, that's useful too!

Goro suggests throwing in U Miami, Loyola, SLU and MCW as well.
Goro's advice is always much appreciated! Thanks for the tips!

Just curious...why MCW? They don't seem particularly OOS friendly from what I can tell.

Med Coll of Wisc has a 50/50 IS/OOS ratio. I wasn't talking about UWV or Marshall, just in case that's what you were thinking of.
No, I was thinking MCW...I was just looking more at the %acc for IS vs %acc for OOS. I'm at work, though, so admittedly my research was more shoddy than my usual. Thanks for clarifying!

No, I was thinking MCW...I was just looking more at the %acc for IS vs %acc for OOS. I'm at work, though, so admittedly my research was more shoddy than my usual. Thanks for clarifying!
@Goro is right. Half of MCW's matriculants are OOS. You are also right: IS is 104/749 (matriculates/applicants), for OOS it is 104/6010. Still they do take a boatload of CA kids.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a question (and sorry to bump after so long)...would it be worth the effort to try and swing some MD/Ph.d applications to some of these places, or is that such a long shot as to be a waste of time/money?

Thank you all so much for your help! I'll probably bump this one last time when I come up with my final school list...trying to pare it down to 20 or so.

Just as a question (and sorry to bump after so long)...would it be worth the effort to try and swing some MD/Ph.d applications to some of these places, or is that such a long shot as to be a waste of time/money?

Thank you all so much for your help! I'll probably bump this one last time when I come up with my final school list...trying to pare it down to 20 or so.

I think the far more pressing question is if you really want the dual degree, and why. I've seen people with far less competitive apps have success applying MSTP, so it should be within reach for you. Did you do a formal postbacc or was it a DIY deal?

I also just realized I don't know how postbacc GPAs work. Do they get factored into your undergrad GPA or is that purely for classes you took prior to graduating?

I think the far more pressing question is if you really want the dual degree, and why. I've seen people with far less competitive apps have success applying MSTP, so it should be within reach for you. Did you do a formal postbacc or was it a DIY deal?

I also just realized I don't know how postbacc GPAs work. Do they get factored into your undergrad GPA or is that purely for classes you took prior to graduating?
DIY postbacc. The grades get factored into the total undergraduate GPA, but they are a separate entry (just as freshman vs sophomore are separate) so the trend is easy to see.

I definitely want to do research. Heck, I thought that's what I wanted for a career before now. I started in the lab in high school! I just happen to like the clinical side more, and the schedule better. So I'm iffy on the MSTP thing because from what I can tell, it's aimed at 90/10 research/clinical, and I'd prefer more of a 40/60 split.

DIY postbacc. The grades get factored into the total undergraduate GPA, but they are a separate entry (just as freshman vs sophomore are separate) so the trend is easy to see.

I definitely want to do research. Heck, I thought that's what I wanted for a career before now. I started in the lab in high school! I just happen to like the clinical side more, and the schedule better. So I'm iffy on the MSTP thing because from what I can tell, it's aimed at 90/10 research/clinical, and I'd prefer more of a 40/60 split.

Sounds to me like you would be better served going the traditional MD route and participating in research that interests you along the way. Remember the majority of academic physicians who do research don't have the dual degree. I agree that MSTP is aimed at training physician scientists, with physician being the modifying adjective describing scientist. I wouldn't do it unless you absolutely must have research be the focus of your career.

Reactions: 1 users
Stick to MD only. You'll have plenty of opportunities to do research in med school and beyond. Also, your list is missing 3 Manhattan schools ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Getting closer...I've come to my final decision on CA schools, at least.
UCD because I did an internship there and loved the place.
USC because when I was first researching schools, something about it 'clicked'. I think I'd really enjoy going there.
UCSF/Stanford because, while an interview may be a long shot, I live here, it would be a cheap (well, only $100 or so) chance at great schools. And I have family living here, and friends. Worth a shot.
UCLA, UCI, UCSD, UCR, Loma Linda Nope, for various reasons.

I'm definitely applying to BU and Tufts, despite the long shot with numbers, because Boston is my dream town.

I want to apply to either VCU or VTech, I think. Thoughts on that one? Leaning VCU.

So, now:

Rewards reinvention/likes nontrads:
Albany
Drexel
Case Western
Vanderbilt
BU
NYMC
Tulane
Wayne State
Loyola
Dartmouth

VA/CA/MA:
UVA
Tufts
EVMS
VT and/or VCU
Stanford and/or UCSF
Keck
UCD

NY & New England area (since MA is a reach as a whole):
UVM
Sinai
Einstein
Quinn
Hofstra
One or two of the crazy NYC reaches, if only to keep @Cyberdyne 101 happy? :p

Other (probably pick 2):
Baylor
Emory
Mayo
Duke

Probably need to bring the list down to 20-25, though personally I'd love to pull the trigger on all of them and let the chips fall where they may.
I know it's still too top-heavy. This is my prelim list, haven't knocked off all of the 'oohhhh, shiny thing!' places and sifted out my favorites yet. That problem is compounded by the 'no real state school' issue (curse you, CA!)

Thoughts?

USC because when I was first researching schools, something about it 'clicked'. I think I'd really enjoy going there.
UCSF/Stanford because, while an interview may be a long shot, I live here, it would be a cheap (well, only $100 or so) chance at great schools. And I have family living here, and friends. Worth a shot.

I'm definitely applying to BU and Tufts, despite the long shot with numbers, because Boston is my dream town.

I want to apply to either VCU or VTech, I think. Thoughts on that one? Leaning VCU.

So, now:

Albany
Drexel
Case Western
Vanderbilt
BU
NYMC
Tulane
Wayne State
Loyola
Dartmouth

VA/CA/MA:
UVA
Tufts
EVMS
VT and/or VCU
Stanford and/or UCSF
Keck
UCD

UVM
Sinai
Einstein
Quinn
Hofstra

Other (probably pick 2):
Baylor
Emory
Mayo
Duke

Probably need to bring the list down to 20-25, though personally I'd love to pull the trigger on all of them and let the chips fall where they may.
I know it's still too top-heavy. This is my prelim list, haven't knocked off all of the 'oohhhh, shiny thing!' places and sifted out my favorites yet. That problem is compounded by the 'no real state school' issue (curse you, CA!)

Thoughts?
Are you able to pull the trigger on all of them? Or is your committee still capping you? If you're not given a cap, then I suggest you apply to most (if not all) of the schools you listed, unless someone provides other sound options.

In addition, even though Columbia is the most selective Manhattan school, it seems to reward reinvention so I think you should give it a shot. ;)

Are you able to pull the trigger on all of them? Or is your committee still capping you? If you're not given a cap, then I suggest you apply to most (if not all) of the schools you listed, unless someone provides other sound options.

In addition, even though Columbia is the most selective Manhattan school, it seems to reward reinvention so I think you should give it a shot. ;)
Yeah, Columbia was the one I was thinking of myself for that very reason.
I was told that with my weird stats, I was probably one of the few people they'd consider supporting an app to more schools for. Still following up with them to see whether that means, like, 22 or 29, you know?
At the end of the day, I can't think of any way in which they could actually stop me from applying to more schools, but I have a ridiculous amount of faith in their judgement and advice. I think having them in my corner is going to be one of the best things that ever happened to my app, and I don't want to spit in their face or go behind their back. I'll probably come up with a solid 20-school list, make sure those apps are all on point (secondaries filled in, etc.) and then perhaps go back and add in a few more here and there as the cycle continues.

Yeah, Columbia was the one I was thinking of myself for that very reason.
I was told that with my weird stats, I was probably one of the few people they'd consider supporting an app to more schools for. Still following up with them to see whether that means, like, 22 or 29, you know?
At the end of the day, I can't think of any way in which they could actually stop me from applying to more schools, but I have a ridiculous amount of faith in their judgement and advice. I think having them in my corner is going to be one of the best things that ever happened to my app, and I don't want to spit in their face or go behind their back. I'll probably come up with a solid 20-school list, make sure those apps are all on point (secondaries filled in, etc.) and then perhaps go back and add in a few more here and there as the cycle continues.
I hope they understand that you're in a unique position and that it's hard to predict which schools will be more receptive to your app. But you're right, it's not prudent to demand a specific number from them.

Now when you say that you'll possibly add a few more schools, does that mean you'll use individual letters for those apps?

Thoughts?

Think about adding Rochester, they specifically mention somewhere in their mission or secondary that they reward reinvention. I had a similar story as yours and they invited me to interview fairly quickly.

Think about adding Rochester, they specifically mention somewhere in their mission or secondary that they reward reinvention. I had a similar story as yours and they invited me to interview fairly quickly.
Oooh, around in my target area, too, and with good OOS numbers!
I'm a bit out of their gpa range (ain't that true everywhere, though?) but if they like reinvention, perhaps the recent 4.0 will hold more weight.

Dammit people, you were supposed to help me narrow this down! :laugh:

Oooh, around in my target area, too, and with good OOS numbers!
I'm a bit out of their gpa range (ain't that true everywhere, though?) but if they like reinvention, perhaps the recent 4.0 will hold more weight.

Dammit people, you were supposed to help me narrow this down! :laugh:

Yes I had less than a 3.2 overall and got invited, high mcat obviously.

I think you might want to consider applying closer to your LizzyM even if you think you might punch above your weight class a bit. Doesn't Vanderbilt have like a 3.9/38 median stats? This last cycle I think they gave out secondaries to people with >3.7 >38 or something, and then slowly added more manually. I don't know, these top schools care a ton about stats (and have no trouble filling their class with them too).

I think you have a shot at top places, but they will be absolutely massive reaches. Duke has a lizzyM average of 73, so I would add that over Vanderbilt potentially, as it seems like they are a bit more "holistic" or more accurately forgiving for whatever reason.

The best LizzyM composition is equal GPA and MCAT. While you have an upward trend it's still not nearly as good as 3.6/36 if that makes sense.

I think you have a strong app, but whether or not you get to the interview stage depends on someone believing in your most recent grades as being more representative. With a 40 MCAT they might see that as plausible, so I would focus your PS on emphasizing what changed and how you are a different person now than originally. Sadly you're not alone as many people have upward trends, but it's still the best course of action!

Good luck! I think you'll get in somewhere.

I think you might want to consider applying closer to your LizzyM even if you think you might punch above your weight class a bit. Doesn't Vanderbilt have like a 3.9/38 median stats?

3.87/37 yep, and much like the undergrad in recent years they seem to be heavily emphasizing stats + research (96% of their acceptees) to establish themselves up there with the big names. Their 10th percentile GPA is damn high too (3.66) while at Duke it's 3.49.

@mehc012 how did you like Washington and Lee? :0

3.87/37 yep, and much like the undergrad in recent years they seem to be heavily emphasizing stats + research (96% of their acceptees) to establish themselves up there with the big names. Their 10th percentile GPA is damn high too (3.66) while at Duke it's 3.49.

@mehc012 how did you like Washington and Lee? :0
Never been to Washington and Lee. Actually never heard of it before, except maybe in passing (and then who can tell because EVERY gorram thing is named after the founding fathers or the civil war in VA).
I think you might want to consider applying closer to your LizzyM even if you think you might punch above your weight class a bit. Doesn't Vanderbilt have like a 3.9/38 median stats? This last cycle I think they gave out secondaries to people with >3.7 >38 or something, and then slowly added more manually. I don't know, these top schools care a ton about stats (and have no trouble filling their class with them too).

I think you have a shot at top places, but they will be absolutely massive reaches. Duke has a lizzyM average of 73, so I would add that over Vanderbilt potentially, as it seems like they are a bit more "holistic" or more accurately forgiving for whatever reason.

The best LizzyM composition is equal GPA and MCAT. While you have an upward trend it's still not nearly as good as 3.6/36 if that makes sense.

I think you have a strong app, but whether or not you get to the interview stage depends on someone believing in your most recent grades as being more representative. With a 40 MCAT they might see that as plausible, so I would focus your PS on emphasizing what changed and how you are a different person now than originally. Sadly you're not alone as many people have upward trends, but it's still the best course of action!

Good luck! I think you'll get in somewhere.
Hmm...Vandy's stats have gone up quite a bit from the source I was looking at (one of those spreadsheets floating around, numbers a few cycles old) to the current MSAR. Most places are fairly stagnant. Good point on that.
It's still been touted to me by both SDN and my uGrad advisor as a good place for reinvention, which seems incongruous with the recent upward trend in stats. Hmm.

Fortunately, my prehealth committee is known for their kick@ss letters. Mine is definitely aiming to highlight my turnaround in there. I wasn't planning on also focusing my PS on it, as I don't really my voice to be nothing but excuses.

If I sort the above by LizzyM alone, as per @resiroth :
Mine: 73

More than 1pt below mine:

Albany
Drexel
BU
NYMC
Tulane
Wayne State
Loyola
Dartmouth
Tufts
EVMS
VT and/or VCU
UCD
UVM
Einstein
Quinn
Emory
Mayo
Duke
Rochester

My score ∓1pt :
Case
USC
UCSF
Baylor
Virginia
Sinai
Manhattan reach (depending on which, pushes the 1pt boundary)

More than 1pt above:
Vandy
Stanford

I could add in some more low-LizzyMs if you think necessary...maybe?
Rosalind Frank
George Washington
Creighton
Wake Forest
Jefferson
MCW

But the posted list included those which I liked most out of 'schools below my LizzyM' :shrug:

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-9_10-10-46.png
    upload_2015-5-9_10-10-46.png
    95 bytes · Views: 58
  • upload_2015-5-9_10-10-49.png
    upload_2015-5-9_10-10-49.png
    95 bytes · Views: 57
i don't think you need any more "lower" schools, list looks good as it is

I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that a school's 10th percentile is not necessarily its floor (for gpa and MCAT).

@mehc012, I agree with @Vain Brother, you have a good amount of safety schools. Give Vanderbilt a shot!

Never been to Washington and Lee
Damn! Unless I misremembered something you went to a small LAC with take home exams and a heavy emphasis on honor code which people actually followed, and you say you were at a top school and have strong ties to VA...it all seemed to point to W&L

+1 vote for Vandy just because they give so many 75% scholarships. Pull a Mimelim and use the top percentile MCAT + extensive research and ECs to get into great schools with a below 10th GPA

Damn! Unless I misremembered something you went to a small LAC with take home exams and a heavy emphasis on honor code which people actually followed, and you say you were at a top school and have strong ties to VA...it all seemed to point to W&L

+1 vote for Vandy just because they give so many 75% scholarships. Pull a Mimelim and use the top percentile MCAT + extensive research and ECs to get into great schools with a below 10th GPA
Haha, yup, the schollies are another strong reason I've kept them on my list. It's actually part of why I want to keep my list so large...I am (perhaps naïvely) optimistic about getting in somewhere, or I wouldn't be applying. I'm not so optimistic about getting into the right place (there are probably tons of right places in the country, btw). I want to apply broadly so that I can hopefully maximize at least one of three key things: 1) good finaid 2) location or 3) fit.

It was a good guess @ Wash&Lee...but I've stated publicly on here that I went to school in MA. That would almost give it away were New England not the LAC capital of the world, lol!
Plz no more guessing beyond that...it's pretty easy to figure out from my posts but I don't see any reason to have it blatantly typed out in a thread of mine. If you really wanna know just PM me, haha!

Haha, yup, the schollies are another strong reason I've kept them on my list. It's actually part of why I want to keep my list so large...I am (perhaps naïvely) optimistic about getting in somewhere, or I wouldn't be applying. I'm not so optimistic about getting into the right place (there are probably tons of right places in the country, btw). I want to apply broadly so that I can hopefully maximize at least one of three key things: 1) good finaid 2) location or 3) fit.

It was a good guess @ Wash&Lee...but I've stated publicly on here that I went to school in MA. That would almost give it away were New England not the LAC capital of the world, lol!
Plz no more guessing beyond that...it's pretty easy to figure out from my posts but I don't see any reason to have it blatantly typed out in a thread of mine. If you really wanna know just PM me, haha!

I don't even know how one is supposed to assess "fit" without actually going to school there

My bad, I forget that some people worry about anonymity so much on here. Like what the hell is the fear of? Some app reader is going to be active enough on SDN to suspect a candidate is a certain poster and take alma mater as confirmation enough to judge the applicant? ECs and exact MCAT subscores will give you away much more than that. And then so what? Unless you have some nasty stuff in your post history I don't get the concern even if this ridiculous scenario arose. /rant

I don't even know how one is supposed to assess "fit" without actually going to school there

My bad, I forget that some people worry about anonymity so much on here. Like what the hell is the fear of? Some app reader is going to be active enough on SDN to suspect a candidate is a certain poster and take alma mater as confirmation enough to judge the applicant? ECs and exact MCAT subscores will give you away much more than that. And then so what? Unless you have some nasty stuff in your post history I don't get the concern even if this ridiculous scenario arose. /rant
You know, I totally get that - if I didn't, I would never post anything about myself - but for some reason I still balk when it comes to explicitly stating who I am/where I'm from. It's one of those cognitive biases which I recognize, but see no reason to actively avoid. I just don't see any benefit to be gained from being open about my ID, and once I do decide to do that, well, you can't un-ring a bell, especially on the web!

Besides, it's a little harder to consider yourself anonymous if you ID your school and you can count the premeds from your class on your fingers :p

I couldn't agree more!

So, now:

Albany
Drexel
Case Western
Vanderbilt
BU
NYMC
Tulane
Wayne State
Loyola
Dartmouth

VA/CA/MA:
UVA
Tufts
EVMS
VT and/or VCU
Stanford and/or UCSF
Keck
UCD

UVM
Sinai
Einstein
Quinn
Hofstra

Other (probably pick 2):
Baylor
Emory
Mayo
Duke

Thoughts?

You should throw out Drexel (bad school, unstable hospital system, too many people), Boston (too many apps and they harshly punish strong applicants), Quinn and UVM (for various reasons, but it's your call in the end depending on how much you want to be in MA).

You have a strong application, and your postbac GPA and MCAT pretty much override your undergrad GPA (though some conservative adcoms still will hold your undergrad performance against you). You should have no problem getting into an MD school, and possibly even a Top 20.

Any particular reason?

Love the city, friendly and supportive faculty, shortened curriculum and more clinical experience, Dr. Costanzo!, new med school building. They value reinvention too, and for you, are very out of state friendly. They have like 1/4 CA students.

Just a general 'thanks' to everyone who advised me and helped me through this process. I made it out the other end, and am going to be attending a wonderful medical school this year! I'll try to give back by sticking around SDN and helping future users the way you have all helped me.

To any new viewers who clicked on this because they, too, are an unbalanced applicant: welcome! It can work out, if you play your cards right. Just don't be afraid to delay until you can put together the best application you can realistically throw down. SDN is a great resource, use it wisely!

Overall results: 25 schools applied to, 7IIs, 5WL, 2 post-WL acceptances :soexcited:
I'm going to be attending a private, well-ranked school that I absolutely loved on interview day. Already nervous and excited for school to start!

Reactions: 6 users