DO 3.2cgpa with 505-510 mcat...possibilities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podsquad24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had posted earlier this year in regards to my stats and figuring out whether it would be feasible to apply this cycle. Now I'm asking again but with some things that have changed over the last few months.

I will be enrolled in a post bacc program this upcoming fall which will transition into a smp in spring (confusing, I know). I wanted to apply to a few "low tier" medical schools this upcoming cycle. Given that I get all A's which is possible since 3 of my classes during the fall will just be retakes, I'll have a 3.21cgpa and 3.28sgpa. I have been practicing for the mcat and currently ranging between 505-510 (took 4 Kaplan full lengths so far). I'm scheduled to take the mcat in the beginning of September. Overall, I have a pretty good app with great LORs, many volunteer hours, tutoring, and I've been a medical scribe for over a year now.

I've done academic research internship for one semester but nothing crazy and no publications. I'm primarily interested in DO schools so I don't know whether I stand a chance with the GPA and taking the mcat so late in the process.

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. If anyone could possibly suggest schools that I can apply to, that would be great too! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Do well in the post-bac program and you'll be good to go for any DO school. Your state MD school might be doable too.

Thank you for your feedback Goro! Do you think I should wait to submit my primary until I get my mcat score/post bacc grades? I took the mcat once before and didn't score well at all but this time I am better prepared. I don't know how DO schools will look at my GPA currently which almost brushes 3.0 both cum and science and I don't want to get auto rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the DO cycle is longer, you can afford to wait for both grades and score. You can apply to one throwaway school to get the verification process out of the way.

Thank you for your feedback Goro! Do you think I should wait to submit my primary until I get my mcat score/post bacc grades? I took the mcat once before and didn't score well at all but this time I am better prepared. I don't know how DO schools will look at my GPA currently which almost brushes 3.0 both cum and science and I don't want to get auto rejected.

I thought the magic number is a 3.25 sGPA which avoids the autoscreens at most DO schools, is this not correct?

Reactions: 1 user