WAMC 2.66 sGPA, 510 MCAT - posting for a friend.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weewooo

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA: 3.17 sGPA: 2.66
    2. freshman:1.09(6 withdrawals)/sophomore:3.36 /junior: 3.199/senior: 3.37 |
      Postbacc: 3.44 (14 credits). Masters: 3.66 (3 Ws). currently taking 14 more pre-rec science credits. If i take another 9 credits and get all As, my sGPA would be 3.00
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. 503 125/126/123/129
    2. Retake 510 127/127/127/129
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. NY, US citizen
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White, ORM, Gay woman.
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. State school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 2040 hours scribe
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 1000 hours neuroscience lab for master’s
      1. Prospective publication, but probably after acceptance
      2. Thesis finish in august
    2. 150 hours cognitive neuroscience lab in undergrad
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 200 hours shadowing urgent care
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 100 hours at an animal shelter
    2. 100 hours at a soup kitchen
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. IT job during undergrad helping students and professors - mentored some students for the job - 720 hours
    2. SAT tutoring during gap years - 150 hours
    3. Current customer service position- 1300 hours
    4. Chorus
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. none
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
Given my current sGPA, should I apply this cycle? Or take more science classes to get a 3.00 before applying. If I did apply now, what schools should I apply to. Please do not quote.

Members don't see this ad.

What type of master's degree did you earn (I'm guessing it's a neuroscience research-based degree)? I think you have done what you can on the overall GPA's, so it's going to be how well you did most recently in upper-level classes. You also need to decide is medical school what you want to do? What other alternatives exist?

What departments are represented in your scribing? Why did you have so many hours SHADOWING urgent care? Were there any physicians at that urgent care center? (Usually there aren't.)

Get your soup kitchen hours up to at least 150 hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools.

What type of master's degree did you earn (I'm guessing it's a neuroscience research-based degree)? I think you have done what you can on the overall GPA's, so it's going to be how well you did most recently in upper-level classes. You also need to decide is medical school what you want to do? What other alternatives exist?

What departments are represented in your scribing? Why did you have so many hours SHADOWING urgent care? Were there any physicians at that urgent care center? (Usually there aren't.)

Get your soup kitchen hours up to at least 150 hours to avoid getting screened out at most schools.
Yes, they did do a neuroscience research-based degree. No upper-level undergrad classes since graduating, just missing pre-reqs. Masters consists of upper-level psych classes.

It was all urgent care scribing. Their shadowing was entirely MD/DO and they mostly worked with MD/DOs.

Considering they get the 150 hours, would their app be passable for DO schools? thank you for the help.

Your friend should take additional undergraduate level science courses until the sGPA is 3.0. Otherwise, she could be screened out at some schools. So she will probable apply in June 2025. At that point with a MCAT of 510 she would be competitive for DO schools.
I suggest these schools if her sGPA is 3.0 :
NYITCOM (both schools)
Touro-NY
UNECOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
NOVA
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
MU-COM