3.3, 3.3 bcpm, 3.85 SMP, 32 MCAT, FL Res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmp0410

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I made one of these a while back with maybe a slight overestimation on my GPA's. So here I am again. I submitted first day for AMCAS and sent all my secondaries back immediately. I have yet to receive an interview and am contemplating submitting the D.O. application. I'm not freaking about the lack of interviews yet because its still very early, but I would like some guidance on if I should go ahead and submit D.O.

I am fine with D.O. and would do that over waiting another year, but would definitely prefer M.D. Would like to save the 300 or so dollars if I could.

Stats
3.3 Undergraduate GPA with 3.3 bcpm (downward trend, some C's in prereqs).
MCAT 2009: 9/9/9: 27
-Took 2 years off-
SMP GPA: 3.85 (all science) - 23 credit hours (9 left).
MCAT May 2013: 10/11/11: 32

EC's:
300 Hours Hospice Volunteering (over 2 years continuously).
100 Hours Bio tutoring
75 Hours various volunteering.
35 Hours Shadowing (Urology, CT Surgery, Family Practice, Orthopedics)
No Research

Other: Starting working full time after I graduated in 2010, took 2 years off of school. Worked in a higher end restaurant for 3 years now as a server and cook. Responsible for training new employees. Continued working full time while in SMP program and studying for MCAT.

Basically I matured a lot after UG graduation, learned to work harder and handle things much better. Feel like a different person and a much better student. Way more focused and confident now. Everything I've done since I returned to school (and MCAT) shows this. That said, its a smaller sample size and my overall stats are kinda meh.

I'm a FL resident and applied to all 7 schools plus Wake, South Alabama (qualify for instate), Arkansas, VCU, Tulane (rejected), and LSU - NO (screened). I applied very early and have all my secondaries in (over a month ago for some). My SMP is at USF so I feel like they gotta at least give me an interview.

TLDR: Should I go ahead and spend the money to apply D.O. or do you think I will get in somewhere?

Members don't see this ad.

So I made one of these a while back with maybe a slight overestimation on my GPA's. So here I am again. I submitted first day for AMCAS and sent all my secondaries back immediately. I have yet to receive an interview and am contemplating submitting the D.O. application. I'm not freaking about the lack of interviews yet because its still very early, but I would like some guidance on if I should go ahead and submit D.O.

I am fine with D.O. and would do that over waiting another year, but would definitely prefer M.D. Would like to save the 300 or so dollars if I could.

Stats
3.3 Undergraduate GPA with 3.3 bcpm (downward trend, some C's in prereqs).
MCAT 2009: 9/9/9: 27
-Took 2 years off-
SMP GPA: 3.85 (all science) - 23 credit hours (9 left).
MCAT May 2013: 10/11/11: 32

EC's:
300 Hours Hospice Volunteering (over 2 years continuously).
100 Hours Bio tutoring
75 Hours various volunteering.
35 Hours Shadowing (Urology, CT Surgery, Family Practice, Orthopedics)
No Research

Other: Starting working full time after I graduated in 2010, took 2 years off of school. Worked in a higher end restaurant for 3 years now as a server and cook. Responsible for training new employees. Continued working full time while in SMP program and studying for MCAT.

Basically I matured a lot after UG graduation, learned to work harder and handle things much better. Feel like a different person and a much better student. Way more focused and confident now. Everything I've done since I returned to school (and MCAT) shows this. That said, its a smaller sample size and my overall stats are kinda meh.

I'm a FL resident and applied to all 7 schools plus Wake, South Alabama (qualify for instate), Arkansas, VCU, Tulane (rejected), and LSU - NO (screened). I applied very early and have all my secondaries in (over a month ago for some). My SMP is at USF so I feel like they gotta at least give me an interview.

TLDR: Should I go ahead and spend the money to apply D.O. or do you think I will get in somewhere?

No need to apply DO IMO... You definitely have a good chance at MD... Being a FL resident is a plus :thumbup:

It's still early in the cycle. I'm surprised that you didn't have any luck with Tulane, but your best luck will be with the FL schools. Some of those public schools that are OOS will probably show you no love...you need to be >avg for them as they favor the home team (well, except maybe VCU).

You'll definitely get snapped up by the FL DO programs, so a bird in the hand is worth ....?

I'm not freaking about the lack of interviews yet because its still very early, but I would like some guidance on if I should go ahead and submit D.O.

TLDR: Should I go ahead and spend the money to apply D.O. or do you think I will get in somewhere?[/QUOTE]