3.3 cGPA, 36R MCAT Overcoming Adversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pirates1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a disability and that hindered me a bit early in college, but I have a strong ending to my undergraduate career.I understand my GPA isn't going to make waves. I have tons of research/pubs ranging from basic science to autism, and had to work through college to pay for OOS tuition. Looking for some guidance, is DO the only shot?

Members don't see this ad.

what's your sGPA and yeah, a 3.3 cGPA will leave you out of most MD, I'd say.

I have a disability and that hindered me a bit early in college, but I have a strong ending to my undergraduate career.I understand my GPA isn't going to make waves. I have tons of research/pubs ranging from basic science to autism, and had to work through college to pay for OOS tuition. Looking for some guidance, is DO the only shot?
Stats-wise, it depends on the pattern of your grades not just the raw numbers. Considering your strong MCAT score, if you have a steep upward grade trend for ~1.5 semesters and a decent BCPM GPA, you're in the running for less-selective MD schools too.

EC-wise, hopefully you have clinical experience and physician shadowing, and maybe even some nonmedical community service, too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats-wise, it depends on the pattern of your grades not just the raw numbers. Considering your strong MCAT score, if you have a steep upward grade trend for ~1.5 semesters and a decent BCPM GPA, you're in the running for less-selective MD schools too.

EC-wise, hopefully you have clinical experience and physician shadowing, and maybe even some nonmedical community service, too?

BCPM isn't going to do me any favors. Bioengineering classes not counting as science devastated me, but such is life. I completed most of my pre-reqs in the first 1.5 years of college, passed everything but definitely not stellar. Senior year was stellar, but all engineering classes, which don't help my BCPM.

As for ECs: since I have a impairment, I've been very active in mentoring programs for younger children with my affliction. I extensively cover this in my personal statement and credit my mentoring as the specific impetus for my decision to consider physician training. Continuing these types of programs are VERY important to me, because my involvement in one turned my life around. Serious stuff.

Currently, I do translational research, so half of my time is spent in a ortho clinic/OR. I do have some other volunteering on my application but when you have to work through school, and post-grad work 50-60 hour weeks + MCAT prep it's tough to find additional hours (1:30 am posts don't help). Now that the MCAT is done and my hard work paid off, I'll try to expand my volunteering if you guys think it will help.

My research mentor thinks its a bad idea for me to go into medicine, because he believes I'm a much much stronger PhD candidate. 1450 GRE w/800 QR and different preferences for PhD acceptance--the main one being you calculate your own GPA (my sGPA at school is much higher than AMCAS). Although he's probably right, I feel that if I say no to a chance to be a physician to enter PhD training, I'll regret the decision. When you know something's right, you just have to go after it. I'm motivated and I know I can prove myself if given the opportunity. If my only chance is with a DO school then so be it, but I'm just trying to assess all options.

I really appreciate all the help!

just out of curiosity, is DO much flexible in terms of granting admission? reading your post kinda made me think that.

Good luck to all of us.

So, 3.3/36R with a unique story, lots of research and volunteering? You're on the right track for MD schools, OP. Apply broadly and early.

Two holes in your application that you might want to patch up:
1) If you don't have an upward trend in your GPA with respect to science courses, take a year of science courses and ace them.
2) Find the time to get those clinical/medically-related experiences.

Good luck!

just out of curiosity, is DO much flexible in terms of granting admission? reading your post kinda made me think that.
DO schools are more academically forgiving (as an example, they only count the most recent class if you retake). But they also expect one to demonstrate facility with science courses so as to prove one will not flounder in the science-heavy environment of a med school. If your BCPM or science GPA are particularly low, you may need to spend another year beefing it up with upper-level Bio and Biochem before applying.

You knew that AACOMAS does count Engineering classes as science, right? But they don't include math in their sGPA.

What is your BCPM GPA and AACOMAS science GPA?

If you need it, AMCAS BCPM GPA and AACOMAS sGPA includes: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

My BCPM is a 3.0, and I haven't calculated my AACOMAS (at work currently, will try to do that tonight). Just curious, can MCATs make up for a poor grade in one area? For example a C+ in both physics 1 and 2 dragged my gpa down. I ended up bombing/missing some exams(long/sad story) and was given no leniency. But, I received a 13 in PS section of MCAT. Can that demonstrate a pretty solid working knowledge of the material?

The feeling I'm getting is that it was a mistake to apply to MD schools, but most of my secondaries are already in. I haven't started the DO application but it looks like that should be my next endeavor.

Everyone's been so helpful, I'm very very thankful.

BCPM isn't going to do me any favors. Bioengineering classes not counting as science devastated me, but such is life. I completed most of my pre-reqs in the first 1.5 years of college, passed everything but definitely not stellar. Senior year was stellar, but all engineering classes, which don't help my BCPM.

Have you already been verified / submitted? I know people who have claimed BME / bioengineering classes as BCPM and had it count.

Edit: Ah, never mind. Looks like you're verified.

1) My BCPM is a 3.0, and I haven't calculated my AACOMAS (at work currently, will try to do that tonight). Just curious, can MCATs make up for a poor grade in one area? For example a C+ in both physics 1 and 2 dragged my gpa down. I ended up bombing/missing some exams(long/sad story) and was given no leniency. But, I received a 13 in PS section of MCAT. Can that demonstrate a pretty solid working knowledge of the material?

2) The feeling I'm getting is that it was a mistake to apply to MD schools, but most of my secondaries are already in. I haven't started the DO application but it looks like that should be my next endeavor.

3) Everyone's been so helpful, I'm very very thankful.
1) Yes, and yes.

2) Maybe so, but there's always the possibility that your PS is so compelling that you'll get a shot anyway. Or a school may desire to enhance the diversity of their class by having you represent those with certain challenges and will want to meet you. If you get interviews, how will you come across?

3) We're happy to help.

Update to this thread for those seeking encouragement: After wait lists and disappointment last year I applied for a second time this year, and received acceptance from 3 MD schools already, with 3 more MD interviews in the next 2 weeks. Extremely blessed. The moral of the story: Never. Give. Up.

Update to this thread for those seeking encouragement: After wait lists and disappointment last year I applied for a second time this year, and received acceptance from 3 MD schools already, with 3 more MD interviews in the next 2 weeks. Extremely blessed. The moral of the story: Never. Give. Up.

Amen. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
After my disappointing previous round, I called admissions departments to ask why I wasn't accepted and mobilized based on their application advice. I made a new PS, more volunteering, more research productivity, two new letters and some more shadowing. If you say you CAN'T get involved in something you're not trying hard enough!

Thank you for the update. This is inspirational. I have slightly lower stats on both GPA and MCAT fronts, so this is comforting.

After my disappointing previous round, I called admissions departments to ask why I wasn't accepted and mobilized based on their application advice. I made a new PS, more volunteering, more research productivity, two new letters and some more shadowing. If you say you CAN'T get involved in something you're not trying hard enough!

If you don't mind me asking, did they say that they wanted to see more volunteering/clinical experience type stuff?

Again, for those seeking inspiration: went from rejected from all schools last round to an MD/PhD acceptance today. Never give up!

Last edited:
awesome! so glad to hear that you made it after all that effort!

Again, for those seeking inspiration: went from rejected from all schools last round to an MD/PhD acceptance today. Never give up!

Congratulations!!!!

what's your sGPA and yeah, a 3.3 cGPA will leave you out of most MD, I'd say.

that's absolutely not true.

i have many friends with 3.3 c/s GPAs who have gotten into top 20 schools.

they had great (but not 38+) MCAT scores and excellent ECs.

3.3 will be a setback, no doubt about it, but saying that a 3,3 alone will rule out most MDs is just plainly false.

I completed a research-oriented Master's program in Physiology. Crushed it (4.0/4.0). 3 pubs including a first, second and middle author in high impact journals. Continued to volunteer and shadow.

If you want it you can get it, just have to be very serious about putting in the time.