3.3 GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ksteer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently a pre-med student. I am graduating in three years instead of the normal four and I just finished my first year (so I will be applying this next summer). I will have a GPA somewhere in the 3.3-3.5 range, volunteering in a medical setting, job shadowing, research, medical scribe job, and an internship and more by the time I apply. The reason my GPA is so low is because I struggled with substantial issues (bad roommates, family, ect.) inside and outside of school. This summer I am currently taking 17 credits online, working 20+ hours a week, volunteering, and job shadowing all at the same time and doing very well with the classes. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but that will be done this upcoming spring. I'm wondering what my chances are of being accepted into medical school when I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Come back when you have an MCAT score and a more defined GPA. Your range is from barely acceptable to competitive for MD schools, but fine for all DO schools.

What's the hurry to graduate in three years?

Hello,
I am currently a pre-med student. I am graduating in three years instead of the normal four and I just finished my first year (so I will be applying this next summer). I will have a GPA somewhere in the 3.3-3.5 range, volunteering in a medical setting, job shadowing, research, medical scribe job, and an internship and more by the time I apply. The reason my GPA is so low is because I struggled with substantial issues (bad roommates, family, ect.) inside and outside of school. This summer I am currently taking 17 credits online, working 20+ hours a week, volunteering, and job shadowing all at the same time and doing very well with the classes. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but that will be done this upcoming spring. I'm wondering what my chances are of being accepted into medical school when I apply.

Overall cost is an issue and I have two younger siblings who need to go to school as well, I don't want my parents to be completely broke when I'm done. The cost per semester is about 28,000 on campus, online classes are about 10,000, which is why I'm taking 17 general credits online.

just be careful you don't burn yourself out.... that's a lot. i understand there are circumstances, but there are always ways around it if you search hard enough and utilize resources. you'll regret it later if you end up getting bad grades because you're so burned out.