3.3 sGPA, 3.0 cGPA 26 MCAT new MCAT pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDtoMD16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They told me I shoulda quit a long time ago, but I'm as stubborn as they come.

sGPA 3.3
cGPA 3.0
26 old MCAT (9,9,8)
New MCAT pending
Average EC's
*9 retakes (and counting)
27 year old no trad

I was really lazy and undereducated when I started college. I went to a way more competitive undergrad than I should have due to my ACT/SAT scores. Graduated 2.1 cGPA and 1.9 sGPA. Had a go around with a post bacc and did pretty well (3.6ish). In my second year of Post bacc I stopped attending classes due to work schedule changes and failed an entire semester. Went back and knocked out a 21 credit, 6 class semester with a 4.0 (all retakes). Finally my gpa is looking a tiny bit acceptable lol. I plan on taking the new MCAT soon and either applying to an SMP for the fall 2016 or continue with retakes as a post bacc student (prob have 1 more semesters of C's I could retake to improve cGPA by +0.1 , sGPA is pretty much maxed). However, either way I do plan on filling out an AACOMAS this next cycle. WAMC??? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, you did well on not listening to others telling you to quit and good job on improving your grades. However, your cGPA is still low.

You won't need an SMP for newer DO schools assuming your new MCAT score is a 508+ (equivalent to a ~30+ on the old score system), but will definitely need one if you're considering applying to one of the top DO/all MD programs even with a great MCAT score.

If you score a 508+ I would recommend an SMP depending on your interests. If really all you want to do is primary care, apply DO to mostly newer and lower tier schools. If you are interested in academics or a more competitive field, I'd suggest doing the SMP then applying to the more competitive DOs + MD schools.

*Buyer beware, anything less than a stelar SMP performance could spell disaster for med school dream all together*

If you dont break 508 on MCAT, just apply DO, people have gotten in with worse numbers.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a very rocky post-history and this would hurt you at my school. I have Adcom colleagues who would reject you for poor choice making. I recommend applying broadly and especially target he newest schools.

First off, you did well on not listening to others telling you to quit and good job on improving your grades. However, your cGPA is still low.

You won't need an SMP for newer DO schools assuming your new MCAT score is a 508+ (equivalent to a ~30+ on the old score system), but will definitely need one if you're considering applying to one of the top DO/all MD programs even with a great MCAT score.

If you score a 508+ I would recommend an SMP depending on your interests. If really all you want to do is primary care, apply DO to mostly newer and lower tier schools. If you are interested in academics or a more competitive field, I'd suggest doing the SMP then applying to the more competitive DOs + MD schools.

*Buyer beware, anything less than a stelar SMP performance could spell disaster for med school dream all together*

If you dont break 508 on MCAT, just apply DO, people have gotten in with worse numbers.

You have a very rocky post-history and this would hurt you at my school. I have Adcom colleagues who would reject you for poor choice making. I recommend applying broadly and especially target he newest schools.

Thank you very much for the replies. Even the stubbornest of people need a small dose of positive reinforcement from time to time :)

I have been diligently studying for the new MCAT and plan on writing it in Feb-March of this year. I received a 26 the first time around and this was with absolute minimal practice and a lot of educated guessing. I am shooting for a ~510 and believe this is highly attainable. I have no misconceptions about the work I must continue to put in. Will report back after I write the exam.

I am exclusively looking at DO schools at the moment (see retakes) and have a preference for programs in the tri-state area, since my SO will be attending a professional health program in the area. NYIT and PCOM come to mind but I plan on applying to 20+ programs including all the new ones (minus LUCOM). Will be ready to submit on the first day AACOMAS is open.

As for this coming fall 2016, I am looking at SMP's at PCOM (certificate program), KCU (COB), TCMC (MD school), RFU (MD school) and Nova; in addition to, continuing Post-Bacc for 2 more semesters (will complete a 2nd degree if I take this option). I will need the SMP to consider DO grade replacement or have lighter admission standards.

Last edited:
Another quick ?

If I happen to be fortunate enough to receive an IV in the future they may very well ask me to explain what caused my poor performances in the past?

How to approach this question? I have no excuses really. I honestly feel like my IQ was not where it is now when I was 18. I was stupid, young and unable to see the effects my actions would have down the road. Is this the best way to respond? I own it and fixed it? Thanks!

Just talk about how you've matured. Also depending on MCAT, maybe look into the Tulane and Georgetown SMPs. If you do get a 510 on the MCAT a strong showing in one of those programs would make you a realistic candidate for MD or DO

Reactions: 1 user
Another quick ?

If I happen to be fortunate enough to receive an IV in the future they may very well ask me to explain what caused my poor performances in the past?

How to approach this question? I have no excuses really. I honestly feel like my IQ was not where it is now when I was 18. I was stupid, young and unable to see the effects my actions would have down the road. Is this the best way to respond? I own it and fixed it? Thanks!
Your answer should contain the following:

1) owning up to it, no excuses
2) what you've learned from the experience
3) what you've done since then to improve

So now I am about to fill out the AACOMAS for this cycle.

According to my spreadsheet:

*reminder that I have 2+ years of retakes (~12 courses) so this is a heavily repaired GPA.

3.35/3.06 for s/cGPA
MCAT 26, (9,9,8)

School/Program list:

ACOM
BCOM
KCU (for MS program)
KCU-Joplin
LECOM-E (for post bac)
LMU (MS program)
PCOM (certificate program)
PCOM-GA (certificate program)
KYCOM
WVSOM
PNWU
RVU-Utah
VCOM-Auburn
NYIT-ASU
Arkansas-SOM
Larkin-SOM

I know maybe a few of these programs may not be ready this cycle, but I listed them just in case. Also, the programs with noted parenthesis mean I am primarily targeting their SMP program and may or may not fill out their primary. I am also currently scrambling to fill out a few SMP programs to see if I can catch on for one this fall. Any advice on my list or situation would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys so for a short update:

Decided on continuing undergrad courses over SMP mostly due to financial restraints. I am signed up for 18 credits of quality coursework for this fall (mostly undergrad+grad cross listed science classes).

Updated projected GPA after this semester:
3.41/3.17 s/c, (5 years of undergrad and 2 years of post bacc, it's been a long journey)

Should be a tad higher after spring classes are added. I am biting the bullet and signing up for a Kaplan MCAT prep course as well. I aim to shoot for an above average score (26 is old score from 2012).

Should I be good to go after spring semester and MCAT? I have zero preferences for a particular school and I'm going to apply on the opening day to all the schools. My preference would be to catch an early acceptance and unload the stress on. Is this goal achievable in my trajectory?

If you do well, then yes.

Hey guys so for a short update:

Decided on continuing undergrad courses over SMP mostly due to financial restraints. I am signed up for 18 credits of quality coursework for this fall (mostly undergrad+grad cross listed science classes).

Updated projected GPA after this semester:
3.41/3.17 s/c, (5 years of undergrad and 2 years of post bacc, it's been a long journey)

Should be a tad higher after spring classes are added. I am biting the bullet and signing up for a Kaplan MCAT prep course as well. I aim to shoot for an above average score (26 is old score from 2012).

Should I be good to go after spring semester and MCAT? I have zero preferences for a particular school and I'm going to apply on the opening day to all the schools. My preference would be to catch an early acceptance and unload the stress on. Is this goal achievable in my trajectory?

If you do well, then yes.

Goro, here's for an update as promised.

Fall semester I took 6 courses (18 credits), worked two jobs (~45 hours/week, one healthcare related and one not), was a member of my Uni's Premed club and joined my states osteopathic association.

The 6 classes included 2 retakes (for a D+ and C-, in which I received A's) and 4 upper level bio sci courses with a mix of grad/undergrad students in them.

My final GPA was a bit disappointing to me, overall I received a 3.7 (4 solid A's, a B+ and B). Although I know this is still good, the class in which I received a B+ - I got 91% exam average, but was brought down to slightly under 90% by Lab/online HW/attendance quizzes (this is the second time this has happened to me arrrrgghhhh).

Updated stats:
3.17/3.41, c/sGPA
26 MCAT, new MCAT pending 01/28/2017*

Updated plan:
I am rigorously studying for the MCAT right now. This is 100% my focus in life, as I now have my entire class schedule from fall semester open to dedicated study time. I did not study for the 26 I received so I am shooting for 507+ this time around. I believe in my testing abilities, which is a large part of what made me decide to embark on this journey.

I actually networked successfully for time this fall, which was a large confidence boaster for me. I have set up an opportunity with a physician to assist and get published in research at the local medical college (MD school). I also met a DO who has invited me to do long term shadowing, once a week for the whole spring semester - he is semi-retired and sits on a board of trustees at a DO school. Lastly, I have a professor who took an interest in my life story/experiences and went out of his way to tell me that he wishes to write me a very personalized LOR.

And...I only need a 1 credit seminar to complete my second bachelors in cellular and molecular biology (3.8 magna cum laude). In addition, I am taking 7 classes (18 credits total) of upper level biology, chemistry and biomedical science courses to close out this 3.5 year postbacc/GPA repair journey and will be applying the first day AACOMAS opens for 2017. Should be able to apply with a 3.25/3.5 c/sGPA when application time rolls around and will be applying to every single DO school with ZERO preference of where I end up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Things are looking good!!!!

And...I only need a 1 credit seminar to complete my second bachelors in cellular and molecular biology (3.8 magna cum laude). In addition, I am taking 7 classes (18 credits total) of upper level biology, chemistry and biomedical science courses to close out this 3.5 year postbacc/GPA repair journey and will be applying the first day AACOMAS opens for 2017. Should be able to apply with a 3.25/3.5 c/sGPA when application time rolls around and will be applying to every single DO school with ZERO preference of where I end up.

Things are looking good!!!!

Dear @Goro ,

Looks like with the passing of the new grade replacement policy, I am finished. I will get screened out of every school that screens. This is like a knife to the chest :(:(:(. I have zero hope and it is too late in the application to realistically have a chance at any school now...I think I might have to give up...

We don't know that; apply braodly, especially targeting the newest schools.

Dear @Goro ,

Looks like with the passing of the new grade replacement policy, I am finished. I will get screened out of every school that screens. This is like a knife to the chest :(:(:(. I have zero hope and it is too late in the application to realistically have a chance at any school now...I think I might have to give up...

Dear @Goro ,

Don't give up yet. There is always a chance they may change the new policy to give it a year or 2 before it goes into effect, if there is a big enough outcry...which it certainly looks like there may be.

Even if they don't rescind it or grandfather it, you need to stay the course... keep studying for your upcoming MCAT. Get a good score and apply very broadly this summer and you may be okay.

If you give up now, you will never know. Remember what you said on our first post..."They told me I shoulda quit a long time ago, but I'm as stubborn as they come." Listen to THAT voice!

I applied through AACOMAS to 10 programs this week. 3.1c/3.4s and I'm currently waiting for verification. I am applying mostly just to get my app calculated with grade replacement and will contact SMPs after rejections.

So my brother from another mother and best childhood friend recently learned of my situation. He pulled some major strings and got me a job at the manufacturing facility (fancy word for factory) he holds a high position at. This is a major employer in the region. The waitlist for employment consideration is lengthy and they hold several long term government contracts. Fully unionized, full benefits, guaranteed 60 hours a week, holiday/OT guarantee, 3 weeks of PTO, starts at $22 an hour and in 10 years it is very possible to be making close to 6-figures. I have semi accepted his proposition which would officially close this endless journey to become a physician.

I made peace with this decision when I looked at myself in the mirror the other day. I noticed for the first time as an adult that I have noticeably aged. This process of climbing out of the deepest pits academic hell has caused me so much stress and anxiety that it is really starting to compromise my health. I don't want to do this anymore. I'm working so hard and over performing by all measures just for a chance to bend my knees and beg for consideration.

Accepting this reality was one of the saddest moment that I can remember. However, now that it's been a few days I'm starting feel a sense of relief from the weight off my shoulders. I take away valuable lessons and critical thinking skills for life for roughly $55k in student loans.

If anybody reads this who is young and stupid, get your s*** together!

...because "I have adcom colleagues that would reject you for poor decision making"

-J.D. out

I applied through AACOMAS to 10 programs this week. 3.1c/3.4s and I'm currently waiting for verification. I am applying mostly just to get my app calculated with grade replacement and will contact SMPs after rejections.

Wait so you applied to 10 DO programs for the 2017 cycle, in January 2017, without an MCAT?

Wait so you applied to 10 DO programs for the 2017 cycle, in January 2017, without an MCAT?

I have received a 26 on the old mcat and took the 01/28 new mcat. However, my application was essentially a donation to the osteopathic field.

I was sent secondaries at almost every program I applied to. I filled out and sent 7 of them and it's been nothing but radio silence since. They were extremely excited to ask for a $75 secondary fee, but won't even respond to emails asking whether they received my LORs. I guess I didn't expect much after all.

I have received a 26 on the old mcat and took the 01/28 new mcat. However, my application was essentially a donation to the osteopathic field.

I was sent secondaries at almost every program I applied to. I filled out and sent 7 of them and it's been nothing but radio silence since. They were extremely excited to ask for a $75 secondary fee, but won't even respond to emails asking whether they received my LORs. I guess I didn't expect much after all.

You realize you are applying extremely late, even for DO schools? They won't even consider your application until you have a new MCAT. Don't cut your losses so quickly. I would just wait until the next cycle to apply. And if you scored badly on this MCAT you could just retake it again and still be on time for the 2018 DO cycle.

edit: **I was assuming your 26 MCAT actually expired. If it did not then they probably evaluated your application on your 26 MCAT alone and didn't even give you a chance for the new MCAT to come in because its so late.

But seriously though the statement "I have adcom colleagues that would reject you for poor decision making" applies because you are making repeatedly poor decisions! Not because you screwed up freshman year or whatever like most people do, which is human and understandable. You got second and third chances and messed them up as well. The adcoms can fill their schools with people who do it right once.

Last edited:
You realize you are applying extremely late, even for DO scools? They won't even consider your application until you have a new MCAT. Don't cut your losses so quickly. I would just wait until the next cycle to apply. And if you scored badly on this MCAT you could just retake it again and still be on time for the 2018 DO cycle.

edit: **I was assuming your 26 MCAT actually expired. If it did not then they probably evaluated your application on your 26 MCAT alone and didn't even give you a chance for the new MCAT to come in because its so late.

But seriously though the statement "I have adcom colleagues that would reject you for poor decision making" applies because you are making repeatedly poor decisions! Not because you screwed up freshman year or whatever like most people do, which is human and understandable. You got second and third chances and messed them up as well. The adcoms can fill their schools with people who do it right once.

I am more than aware that mid-January is extremely late for DO application. However, next cycle without grade forgiveness I have to average all my retakes...seriously numerous F's and D's. I know it will be so bad that I did not even bother to adjust my calculations in my excel sheet. I'm talking a GPA far closer to my graduation GPA of 2.1 than my current AACOMAS GPA of 3.4. What does that seriously leave me with? at absolute best a mid-tier super expensive SMP without any guarantee of admissions even after strong performance + $1000's of expenses related to reapplication.

That is why I disagree with your assessment of repeatedly poor decision making. I can move back in with my parents, make serious dents in my student loans within just a few years and potentially look towards other things in my life (you know...marriage, kids, mortgage?). A honest living for an honest days work and to actually be rewarded for the work you put in is something I haven't experienced in years. My life has consisted of overcompensation and stress for the past 3+ years. A product of my own incompetence in my young adulthood and my tunnel vision in rectifying the wrong.

I did not give up. I let go. The difference between the two is something that people monitoring SDN forums will not likely be able to relate to and it took more courage than anything I have ever regarding my future.

I am more than aware that mid-January is extremely late for DO application. However, next cycle without grade forgiveness I have to average all my retakes...seriously numerous F's and D's. I know it will be so bad that I did not even bother to adjust my calculations in my excel sheet. I'm talking a GPA far closer to my graduation GPA of 2.1 than my current AACOMAS GPA of 3.4. What does that seriously leave me with? at absolute best a mid-tier super expensive SMP without any guarantee of admissions even after strong performance + $1000's of expenses related to reapplication.

That is why I disagree with your assessment of repeatedly poor decision making. I can move back in with my parents, make serious dents in my student loans within just a few years and potentially look towards other things in my life (you know...marriage, kids, mortgage?). A honest living for an honest days work and to actually be rewarded for the work you put in is something I haven't experienced in years. My life has consisted of overcompensation and stress for the past 3+ years. A product of my own incompetence in my young adulthood and my tunnel vision in rectifying the wrong.

I did not give up. I let go. The difference between the two is something that people monitoring SDN forums will not likely be able to relate to and it took more courage than anything I have ever regarding my future.

Keep in mind that individual DO schools may elect to consider retakes (that's what I've read anyway). I don't think it was a good decision to apply this late in the cycle, even to DOs, but I understand why you did. When you receive your MCAT, if you did really well and if being a physician is what you want to do, trying one more time to apply when you have everything ready to go day 1 might very well be fruitful. Not a single person in this forum can speak on behalf of the reviewers of your application and you will never know if you don't try in the proper time in the cycle (i.e. at the beginning, not end).

Because you've already taken the MCAT, and unless taking the job means you're going to tank your grades this semester, I'd say take the job, submit your apps when the cycle opens up, and see what happens. It just seems like if you've come this far, what's another $1000-1500 or so on apps (in context of the $55K).

That said, if you are at the end of your capacity, there is no judgment in your deciding that the best option for you is to discontinue. It's something I've considered (not going in to details) as well. But for me, I don't think I'd be truly happy in any other field - and I've worked in politics, health policy, in the ED, etc. I just paid off the debt from applying this cycle, and I'm sitting on one wait-list and hoping for a few more interviews at schools I've applied to that interview in to April. I'll be reapplying if it doesn't work out this year, but again, that's the decision I've come to after deliberation. Ultimately it's up to you. Best of luck in whatever you decide.