DO 3.3 sGPA, 3.43 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omgitsbre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA - 3.31
cGPA - 3.43
MCAT - old score of 27, retaking new MCAT in July
50 hours shadowing Cardiothoracic Surgery
50 hours volunteering in hospital
100+ hours non- clinical volunteering (tutoring, leadership, etc)

I just wanted to know what my chances are. I am about to submit my application soon...I want to know if I have a shot this cycle or if I should wait till next cycle. Any suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are competitive for most DO schools. Absolutely no need to take the new MCAT unless you also want to apply to MD schools.

@Goro

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes don't do it, it will probably /may go down. Stick with 27. What is the breakdown btw the sections? Anything less than 8 per section?

sGPA - 3.31
cGPA - 3.43
MCAT - old score of 27, retaking new MCAT in July
50 hours shadowing Cardiothoracic Surgery
50 hours volunteering in hospital
100+ hours non- clinical volunteering (tutoring, leadership, etc)

I just wanted to know what my chances are. I am about to submit my application soon...I want to know if I have a shot this cycle or if I should wait till next cycle. Any suggestions are welcome.

If Ops score is expired than a retake is obviously necessary

The score isn't expired, but I took it twice and got a 27. That's why I was thinking of taking it in 2015.

The score isn't expired, but I took it twice and got a 27. That's why I was thinking of taking it in 2015.

If you took the exam twice and got the same score both times, then the chance of you doing significantly better on a third attempt (and a NEW MCAT) isn't very high.

Like what everyone on this thread is saying - absolutely no need to take the new MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
The OP as is currently is in pretty good position to get a DO acceptance with a solid application and well thought out list.

Want to know how to starting putting that at risk? Re-take the MCAT for a third time, albeit a new one where considering all that a strong case could be made the odds are in favor of you doing worse than 27 not doing better. Say you end up with the equivalent of a 24. A 27-27-24? Now that will start making things a bit more interesting for your DO chances.

Bottom line the tempting theory that if I just study more I know I'll do better doesn't just usually lead to pre-meds wasting tons of time and money, in your case it can risk damaging what is as of now a fine DO application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users