MD & DO 3.3 sGPA 3.4cGPA MCAT pending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBatman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well the reason why my GPA is so low is because I didn't do well my freshman year in one class. (calculus) I ended up failing it not because the material was difficult but because I made it difficult. Anyways that class has haunted my GPA since I failed it. All of my practice MCAT exams i've been averaging a 32 so I know i'm ready to take it. I'll be applying next year to both MD and DO schools. My EC's include some shadowing, worked as a scribe for a year. A full time job since freshman year. A little bit of volunteer work. What do I have to get on the MCAT to give my self a chance at MD and DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Well the reason why my GPA is so low is because I didn't do well my freshman year in one class. (calculus) I ended up failing it not because the material was difficult but because I made it difficult. Anyways that class has haunted my GPA since I failed it. All of my practice MCAT exams i've been averaging a 32 so I know i'm ready to take it. I'll be applying next year to both MD and DO schools. My EC's include some shadowing, worked as a scribe for a year. A full time job since freshman year. A little bit of volunteer work. What do I have to get on the MCAT to give my self a chance at MD and DO?
26+ should be ok for DO... 33+ for MD.

You'll get much more sound advice with:

-Your mcat score (of course)
-Details! I'm talking specific hours worked, nature of volunteerism, etc.

Then you'll get some more accurate ideas!

Members don't see this ad :)
That will affect what you "need." But of course aim for that perfect score!

You'll get much more sound advice with:

-Your mcat score (of course)
-Details! I'm talking specific hours worked, nature of volunteerism, etc.

Then you'll get some more accurate ideas!

Volunteer work about 50 hours (mentor for a child in an undeserved area)
Shadowing a FM doc for about 150 hours
1 year ER scribe
Worked two different full time jobs within four years
Deans list for all but three semesters
ORM

Hard to comment without a real MCAT score. 3.3/3.4/32 is gonna make even less competitive MDs very difficult.

Furthermore, your EC's are light for MD. Don't know how much slack AdComs will cut for a full-time job. Suggest you stop shadowing and re-allocate that time to long-term continuous clinical volunteering.

Last edited:
Hard to comment without a real MCAT score. 3.3/3.4/32 is gonna make even less competitive MDs very difficult.

Furthermore, your EC's are light for MD. Don't know how much slack AdComs will cut for a full-time job. Suggest you stop shadowing and re-allocate that time to long-term continuous clinical volunteering.

I'm thinking about taking a gap year to elevate those EC's. What do you believe would elevate me to competitive status? I know I can get my GPA up to 3.45/3.55 if I take a gap year. Thanks

Everything helps as everyone (even those with great profiles) is constantly pushing to improve his/her competitiveness. Look at the AMCAS data tables that breaks down acceptance rates by GPA, MCAT, and race.

As for ECs, you need to up your volunteering and aim for long-term continuous involvement in both clinical and volunteering. Distinction/leadership in ECs is a plus. Not sure how beneficial research is since the less competitive MDs are prolly gonna be your reaches, but it couldn't hurt.

Volunteer work about 50 hours (mentor for a child in an undeserved area)
Shadowing a FM doc for about 150 hours
I think your active clinical experience as a scribe will be judged as sufficient without adding medical volunteering. Your shadowing via scribing and dedicated shadowing is far above what is expected. I'd like to see you continue with nonmedical community service on a regular basis. If you can work in some peer leadership and/or teaching/tutoring/coaching it would give your application broader appeal.

Any plan for research?

I think your active clinical experience as a scribe will be judged as sufficient without adding medical volunteering. Your shadowing via scribing and dedicated shadowing is far above what is expected. I'd like to see you continue with nonmedical community service on a regular basis. If you can work in some peer leadership and/or teaching/tutoring/coaching it would give your application broader appeal.

Any plan for research?

Thank you for your input. I was offered a researching gig but my only job was to record data which didn't seem interesting at all. (I probably should have done it) I've read that being an ER scribe is some of the best first had clinical experience one can have, is this true? I do plan on looking for other community involvement volunteer opportunities. With the GPA/EC's I have now what MCAT score/EC's do I need to be accepted toany Medical school. Preferably MD but i'm fine with DO as well. VA resident

I've read that being an ER scribe is some of the best first had clinical experience one can have, is this true?
IMO, yes.
I do plan on looking for other community involvement volunteer opportunities.
Good. Better if the activity you choose counts as a double or triple header: community service/teaching/eventual leadership, eg

With the GPA/EC's I have now what MCAT score/EC's do I need to be accepted to any Medical school. Preferably MD but i'm fine with DO as well. VA resident
With a 3.45/3.55, I think that BestDoctorEver has set some good goals for you.
26+ should be ok for DO... 33+ for MD.