Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

MD & DO 3.32 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA 35 mcat

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by rrrrr5, 05.15.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. rrrrr5

3.32/3.37/35; HYPS grad. I am a reapplicant. Past cycle I only applied MD and in Oct/Nov. No iis. My sGPA has a downward trend in my junior/senior year (partially due to a family illness). Spoke to an admissions counselor at UC, he said I needed to do a year of full-time advanced science courses (20-30 units) before I even think about re-applying. Have 100 clinical volunteering hours and some shadowing. He said I needed more extensive clinical experience also. But, unfortunately I am 24 and I work full-time so I can't do the courses or the clinical hours...

I am interested in DO as well, but I wasn't familiar with it when I applied this past cycle. Would I be competitive even with my sub-average GPA and downward trend? Was the admissions counselor correct in saying I had no chance with MD unless I do the additional advanced sciences and clinical exp? I.E. could submitting early with strong LORs, PS, and a diversity of schools give me a different result in the MD?

Lastly, I live in norcal and not many DOs in the area. Would an MD letter suffice, or given my grades should I worry I do not have DO shadowing or a letter?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.

About the ads