DO 3.4, 3.3 for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wi11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A little bit.
*Questions I have:* I am a first-generation and neither of my parents completed a four year university, my mom did not complete high school. Will this benefit me?

Won't be an issue. Add KCUMB, CCOM and DMU to the list
**Red flags**: I failed a pre-req twice but retook it at a community college instead for a better grade[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Wow, those are nice ECs that show a strong altruistic side. I think you'll get some interviews. You have a good MCAT for DO schools, which is helpful, as I think that GPA is a bit below average for matriculants.

While we're on the topic of our parents' education, what does the EO-1 SES indicator on the AMCAS application do to an application? I remember seeing that there was an EO-1 and a Pell Grant SES indicator. I meet both of these indicators and it sounds like the topic creator may be EO-1 as well. How do these change your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have incredible ECs and a unique background. I would add in some MD schools as well.

You have incredible ECs and a unique background. I would add in some MD schools as well.

How likely do you think my chances are for DO? I am not so sure about MD, my GPA without retakes is around a 3.1.

DO however accepts grade replacement and if I retake my courses before applying next cycle I can jump from my 3.4 to a 3.5-3.6

A little bit.
*Questions I have:* I am a first-generation and neither of my parents completed a four year university, my mom did not complete high school. Will this benefit me?

Won't be an issue. Add KCUMB, CCOM and DMU to the list
**Red flags**: I failed a pre-req twice but retook it at a community college instead for a better grade
[/QUOTE]

I read on another thread that you are in admissions. From the numerous applications that you go through, is there a good chance that I would get in somewhere if I apply to 10-15 DO schools? Do you think I have a chance at low low tier MDs? I would prefer to attend DO due to the philosophy behind it, but I wouldn't mind applying to MD either.

How likely do you think my chances are for DO? I am not so sure about MD, my GPA without retakes is around a 3.1.

DO however accepts grade replacement and if I retake my courses before applying next cycle I can jump from my 3.4 to a 3.5-3.6

I read on another thread that you are in admissions. From the numerous applications that you go through, is there a good chance that I would get in somewhere if I apply to 10-15 DO schools? Do you think I have a chance at low low tier MDs? I would prefer to attend DO due to the philosophy behind it, but I wouldn't mind applying to MD either.[/QUOTE]

Ah....yeah a 3.1 is going to be much more of a problem with MD schools than a 3.3-3.4. And your MCAT scores are also well below the accepted average for MD. However, you are very competitive for just about every DO school. Don't erroneously assume that DO schools are easier to get into - they are not. But DO schools place much more emphasis on ECs and fit, and your ECs and experiences are absolutely fantastic. And if you like the DO philosophy, then all the better!

You can still try your luck at a select handful of MD schools, but a 3.1 GPA and 28 MCAT will make it an up-hill battle.

But look at the bright side...you WILL become a physician, and a damn good one too!

Quite fine for any DO school

Sure!!!
I read on another thread that you are in admissions. From the numerous applications that you go through, is there a good chance that I would get in somewhere if I apply to 10-15 DO schools?

No.
Do you think I have a chance at low low tier MDs?

ure fine for DO