3.4 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA, 4.0 MSc, 32S MCAT, Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNPCook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian student, and I applied to US medical schools this year (November... I know... late!). And I have been on the waiting list for most schools I have applied to. My undergraduate GPA is 3.4 and my science GPA is 3.9. I have done a masters in Computer science (GPA 4.00) and I have also done 6 months volunteer work in a hospital abroad (3rd world country). I have a year worth of research experience in clinical anatomy, in addition to the research I have done in computer science. My MCAT is 32S (9 V, 12 P, 11 B). I was wait-listed (pre interview) on many schools and didn't get accepted last year. I'm doing a post bacc (that has a linkage) right now and I have applied broadly to many schools. I have also done 3 months worth of Triage volunteering This summer....

What are my chances of getting into med school. Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian student, and I applied to US medical schools this year (November... I know... late!). And I have been on the waiting list for most schools I have applied to. My undergraduate GPA is 3.4 and my science GPA is 3.9. I have done a masters in Computer science (GPA 4.00) and I have also done 6 months volunteer work in a hospital abroad (3rd world country). I have a year worth of research experience in clinical anatomy, in addition to the research I have done in computer science. My MCAT is 32S (9 V, 12 P, 11 B). I was wait-listed (pre interview) on many schools and didn't get accepted last year. I'm doing a post bacc (that has a linkage) right now and I have applied broadly to many schools. I have also done 3 months worth of Triage volunteering This summer....

What are my chances of getting into med school. Any input is appreciated.
US med schools usually like to see that you have experience in US clinical environments, so I hope your triage volunteering was in the states, or Canada?

Physician shadowing is another common expectation. Do you have that?

The Research is good. But you don't mention nonmedical community service, leadership, teaching. Do you have any of that?

If any of the above elements are lacking, it's not too late to plug the holes, as many schools take update letters into account.

Considering that internationals are held to a higher standard by US MD schools, I think that you made a good decision to do a formal postbac program. If you do well fall semester (near-straight As) and send schools a formal transcript, considering that your BCPM GPA is high and that your MCAT score is decent, if your ECs are more solid than you've related so far, you might get accepted somewhere this cycle.

If you were a US citizen I'd say you have a great shot.

I don't know how the differential is for Canadians applying to US schools, but there are an awful lot of them on this island...

Members don't see this ad :)
US med schools usually like to see that you have experience in US clinical environments, so I hope your triage volunteering was in the states, or Canada?

Physician shadowing is another common expectation. Do you have that?

The Research is good. But you don't mention nonmedical community service, leadership, teaching. Do you have any of that?

If any of the above elements are lacking, it's not too late to plug the holes, as many schools take update letters into account.

Considering that internationals are held to a higher standard by US MD schools, I think that you made a good decision to do a formal postbac program. If you do well fall semester (near-straight As) and send schools a formal transcript, considering that your BCPM GPA is high and that your MCAT score is decent, if your ECs are more solid than you've related so far, you might get accepted somewhere this cycle.

Well I do have all the community service experience and leadership experience. I didn't mention them here. My Triage volunteer was in Canada. I do have non medical community service experience. I have TAed and taught University level computer science courses. I can't do physian shadowing. It is not something undergrads do in Canada. I think there are laws against that. I know medical students in Canada can shadow physicians because schools pays for their insurance, but others can't (don't quote me on this, I heard it from a medical student).
I guess there is not much else I could do. I would have taken the MCAT again if I could. But there is no time now. I really thought that with straight As in pre med courses I'd have a good shot. I didn't want to go to med school when I was an undergrad. Otherwise I would've done better with the cGPA.