MD & DO 3.4 uGPA/3.3 sGPA, 503 MCAT, lower Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I apply this cycle?

• Yes

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

CalCam13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first thread asking for advice on applying to mostly DO and a few MD schools.

Stat:
UC Berkeley '13, uGPA of 3.4, and sciGPA of 3.3
MCAT OLD: 25
----> Breakdown: 9 PS, 6 VR, 10 BS
MCAT2015: 503
----> 127 C/P, 123 CARS, 127 B/B, and 126 P/S
CARS confidence band of 122-124

EC:

1) 1.5 years of working with under-served population in high school as a Program Coordinator.
2) Have ~300 hours of clinical experience over the last 3 years; will continue to shadow a doctor working with homeless and poverty population in SF.
3) Done research for 1.5 but no productive to the extent of publication (worked on bio-imaging)
4) Will have great LOR's from two science and one non-science (mentor) plus an MD. Will also get a letter from my boss at the non-profit and a community social worker (mentor)

Background:
I immigrated to the US from Cambodia at 13yo and did not learn to read in my own language until a year prior to arriving here. The first book I ever finished I was when I was a freshman in High School. My parents barely finished middle school. To make up for the lost time, I went to community college and 3 years later transfer to UC Berkeley. English has never been my strength but I did not shy away from it during my second time studying for the MCAT. I spent the last two months working intensely on it. I was scoring 127 before going in but I choked (apparently) on the day and got a 123.

Overall, I guess I'm considered URM due to socioeconomic status? I want to get your opinion on whether I should still applying this upcoming cycle. After reading most ops, I keep seeing advice to retake but that's financially difficult for me and will delay my application for another. I might be open to the option.

I gave the background above not as an excuse but rather for you to have a perspective. No sob story from me.
Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
Chamroen

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Overall, I guess I'm considered URM due to socioeconomic status?

That's not what URM means. Depending on what state you live in, apply to your state MDs and focus more on DO schools. Shadow a DO and get a letter. Alternatively, do a post bacc/SMP and retake and score 510+ on the MCAT and apply broadly MD/DO next year.

That's not what URM means. Depending on what state you live in, apply to your state MDs and focus more on DO schools. Shadow a DO and get a letter. Alternatively, do a post bacc/SMP and retake and score 510+ on the MCAT and apply broadly MD/DO next year.

I see. Thanks for pointing out my misunderstanding on URM.

I'm a resident of CA and I'm in interested in the DO schools regardless. Yes, I do plan on shadowing a DO. Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for many DO schools. Apply broadly to at least 15 schools and you should receive several interviews. Schools to consider include:
ACOM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ATSU-SOMA
You can try TUNCOM, TUCOM-CA and WesternU-COMP but they are more difficult to get into.
Also try any new DO schools that open for 2017.

You are competitive for many DO schools. Apply broadly to at least 15 schools and you should receive several interviews. Schools to consider include:
ACOM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
ATSU-SOMA
You can try TUNCOM, TUCOM-CA and WesternU-COMP but they are more difficult to get into.
Also try any new DO schools that open for 2017.

@Faha Thank you for the response. I'm wondering if you could elaborate on how you include on the list above. Maybe I could use the same method and look at other schools. As limited of choices I have, I want to see if I could live in certain location for 4 years.

The schools I listed are schools where the MCAT median is near your MCAT scores. The California schools and many of the other DO schools not listed have higher MCAT medians than yours.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

So I realized that DO schools don't count Math as a "science GPA". I would sGPA then would be 3.26 instead of 3.3

Is my 123 verbal not an issue, though? Should I consider retaking the MCAT for the 3rd time and spend most of the time improving my verbal skill?

I'm under represented minority with 3.94 cumulative GPA and 503 mcat with low verbal reasoning(122). Moved to the US from france 5 years ago. Got denied from many DO/MD schools but recently got accepted into touro com harlem in new york. I'm a mcat retaker by the way. All I'm saying is do not give up. It's totally possible if you believe in yourself and don't listen to whatever people have to say to make you feel like you won't make it. You will only make it if you believe in yourself and give yourself a way to achieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I'm under represented minority with 3.94 cumulative GPA and 503 mcat with low verbal reasoning(122). Moved to the US from france 5 years ago. Got denied from many DO/MD schools but recently got accepted into touro com harlem in new york. I'm a mcat retaker by the way. All I'm saying is do not give up. It's totally possible if you believe in yourself and don't listen to whatever people have to say to make you feel like you won't make it. You will only make it if you believe in yourself and give yourself a way to achieve it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you so much, @varens1 ! I'll keep that in mind.