3.45 cGPA 3.09 sGPA... Chance/advise me pls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grumpyboots

I'm lizzing!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi smarties,

First real post on SDN but I've been on and off lurking. I was always too nervous to consult you guys but now I figured, why not.

I've just graduated from a fairly well known liberal arts college. I received a BS in Biology. sGPA is pretty low... I know :(

Stats:
cGPA 3.45
sGPA 3.09

(C in Gen Chem II and C in Genetics) - Both C's were in the same semester sophomore year when I took 5 classes (3 of them were sciences with labs). School does make a statement on the transcript that they do not inflate grades.

I haven't taken the MCATs yet but I'm planning on following the 4 month SN2ed schedule. Shooting for January 2014 test date. This should leave me plenty of time for retakes as needed. I know I have to rock it... By how much? I'm not sure.

ECs:
- ~70 hrs shadowing with MDs (a bunch of different specialties) and hospital departments
- Worked for at various physician's offices reviewing patient charts (I had chances to interact with DOs, see their office environment, and saw the business end of everything). Not sure that it matters since it's not direct patient care.
- >100 hrs volunteering through tutoring, community projects, etc.
- >100 hrs as a volunteer EMT
- 2 leadership positions in an organization at school
- Worked as a TA and research assistant (no publications though)
- Studied abroad in "first world" country. Classes were taught by doctors in the nation's major hospital, learned medical terminology (from actual US textbook), and obtained some clinical exposure.

Got into the Georgetown MS program for Biochem and Molecular Bio. Undecided because it's crazy expensive. I'm taking the year off to work but I'm not sure if this program is a) reputable or b) necessary. I didn't choose a SMP because I thought a MS would be easier to get a job with in case the DO thing doesn't work out (especially in the pharma industry).

So main questions:
- What realistic MCAT score should I aim for?
- How do the ECs look?
- Should I do the Gtown MS or get an MS? Better to do SMP?
- Should I retake my classes at a CC?

Thanks SDNers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
cGPA is fine, but the low sGPA is worrisome. I'm afraid you'll get interviews, but then the AdCom will say "nice guy/gal, but look at that sGPA!", and onto the wait list you go. i've seen it happen plenty of times here.

Suggest, if possible, re-taking any F/D/C science coursework. SMP isn't necessary

Got into the Georgetown MS program for Biochem and Molecular Bio. Undecided because it's crazy expensive. I'm taking the year off to work but I'm not sure if this program is a) reputable or b) necessary. I didn't choose a SMP because I thought a MS would be easier to get a job with in case the DO thing doesn't work out (especially in the pharma industry).

High 20s

[- What realistic MCAT score should I aim for?

Fine

- How do the ECs look?-

See above

Should I do the Gtown MS or get an MS? Better to do SMP?-

That will be fine, but try to take a challenging course load, not one course/year.

Should I retake my classes at a CC?[/B]

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I'm no ADCOM like Goro is, but I can give you some of my thoughts:

Luckily, if you wanna get into a DO program, you are not far off. I have roughly the same numbers, with my science GPA being a little bit higher (3.15), by the time I am ready to apply, I'm hoping my numbers will be c3.5, s3.2. I also had Cs, however, one was in bio and one was in a non science. I am planning on re taking the C for DO programs, and my science GPA would bump up to a 3.3 just by re taking one class! By far, the fastest way to raise your GPA is to retake the science class you got a C in, it will really help your numbers.

Looking foreword to the MCAT, high 20s will really help, but there have been people on this site with GPAs around yours who have gotten in with 26+. I would start studying for it ASAP, as it will play a huge role in admissions for borderline candidates like us.

I would not do a SMP unless you are dead set on applying to MD schools. As it stand, unless you can get your science GPA to a 3.3 and get an amazing MCAT (33+), then I wouldnt even bother with MD schools. I have one more year before I apply, and if my GPA isnt at the threshold for my states MD school, I'mma just apply DO.

How much were the SMP programs you got into tuition wise?

I would say, personally, to be considered worth it to apply to DO schools, You need at least a 3.3c and 3.2 science with a 26+ MCAT. Now granted, some people get in with less, but they have amazing stories, like saving burning villages on missions trips or something like that. Let us know what your plan is, we are rooting for yah. Good luck!

Thanks GypsyHummus - I really appreciate the advice!