WAMC: 3.6 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA 514 Reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magelord374

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would just like some general advice on what to do to apply for this coming cycle, or if I should take another gap year.

I applied this most recent cycle and received 1 MD interview -> Rejection and 1 DO interview (pending)
I have a sharp downwards trend senior year of undergrad and am ORM, 2021 Grad. GPA ~3.7 -> 3.0ish last year. MCAT 514 (129/126/130/129). I also finished most secondaries mid-Sept.

Experience:
~6 mo of unrelated fulltime work this year (This would be new)
~6 mo of fulltime clinical research (This would be somewhat new)
~2 Summers of fulltime scribing
~200 hours of collegiate EMT experience
~200 hours of hospital volunteering (Added ~50 so far this year)
<100 hours of nonclinical volunteering (Added ~50 so far this year)
No Shadowing

Thank you very much for any advice in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I would just like some general advice on what to do to apply for this coming cycle, or if I should take another gap year.

I applied this most recent cycle and received 1 MD interview -> Rejection and 1 DO interview (pending)
I have a sharp downwards trend senior year of undergrad and am ORM, 2021 Grad. GPA ~3.7 -> 3.0ish last year. MCAT 514 (129/126/130/129). I also finished most secondaries mid-Sept.

Experience:
~6 mo of unrelated fulltime work this year (This would be new)
~6 mo of fulltime clinical research (This would be somewhat new)
~2 Summers of fulltime scribing
~200 hours of collegiate EMT experience
~200 hours of hospital volunteering (Added ~50 so far this year)
<100 hours of nonclinical volunteering (Added ~50 so far this year)
No Shadowing

Thank you very much for any advice in advance.
Two main suggestions:
1. Apply in May/June and get on top of the secondaries this time.
2. Get 50 hours of shadowing before you reapply - seems trivial compared to your other hours but the lack of it will be noticed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by “6 months of unrelated work”? What did you do?
How about “100 hours of nonclinical volunteering”?what did you do to serve the unserved / underserved in your community?
When you reapply don’t apply to Rush. Rush expects hundred, if not thousands, of service hours from their applicant pool. And they get them.

What do you mean by “6 months of unrelated work”? What did you do?
How about “100 hours of nonclinical volunteering”?what did you do to serve the unserved / underserved in your community?
When you reapply don’t apply to Rush. Rush expects hundred, if not thousands, of service hours from their applicant pool. And they get them.
Past 6 months I have worked in quality control at a biotech company. My nonclinical work has mostly been split between working with my undergraduate athlete team and working with low income immigrants in my area.

Thank you for your advice regarding Rush. I am certainly looking to reconsider the schools on my list in regards to mission fit. I appreciate it!

You need 50 hours of physician shadowing (including primary care) before you reapply. Some of the schools on your list are looking for applicants with many more hours of non clinical volunteering and shadowing than you have such as Rush and Georgetown. Dartmouth, USC and Brown were reaches.
I suggest these schools when you reapply:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Einstein
Hackensack
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Belmont (when it opens)
Also apply to several DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
PCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

I need more details to get a better sense of your mission fit. Please re-write your information according to the WAMC template. Thanks for the school list.

Otherwise, good luck on your DO school interview, and sorry the MD school rejected you. Sharpen your interview prep.

Some of your scribing can count as shadowing, and I hope your hours calculation did not include your training.